IGNORED

Caribou makes 1000 track playlist.

chenGOD

I like Caribou a lot but this seems way more heavy on needless novelty value than anything else. Give me a well-thought over mix of 1-2 hours or something long but focused (i.e. a theme or something with accompanying notes).

I see this more as an opportunity to browse his record collection and discover new stuff with him making sure you go straight to what he considers worthwhile, not as a mix that's meant to be listened to from start to finish. You play one record and if it sounds like shit to you, skip to the next one. And recommend him some better records. :smile:

also i think it's a real neat idea for someone to make a massive playlist of every piece of music that's had even a little impact on their lives, then just play the whole thing on shuffle

I see this more as an opportunity to browse his record collection and discover new stuff with him making sure you go straight to what he considers worthwhile, not as a mix that's meant to be listened to from start to finish. You play one record and if it sounds like shit to you, skip to the next one. And recommend him some better records. :smile:

Ah I didn't think of the shuffle aspect, that's a fair point. And I appreciate the the time he's spent in picking 1000 tracks.

Guest bitroast

I love caribou and realize it's well-intentioned but :cerious: who the fuck has the time for this?

hehehe didn't autechre do virtually the same thing? multiple times?

there's the Ae radio broadcasts, which I see as roughly the same ting.

oh snap! agreed.

1. Lol at Brian Fanboyo

2. gotta disagree with you guys though, I see this and the autechre radio shows as two different beasts entirely. I've listened to all of the latter's mixes since quaristice (in fact my stream rip of the quaristice one might be the one here in the downloads), but none of broadcasts live; rather I'd get the rip and play it like a serial novel/audiobook later, in say 1/2 hour or hour segments, picking up where left off. TBH Ae put a shit ton of forethought into what they did (no shortage of truly brill mixing, blending, shifting of mood, etc.), included a mess of unreleased tracks/versions hidden here and there, and were more or less an exhibition of their badassedness. This OTOH is just a 1K playlist and has boz scaggs on it. boz. scaggs.

Caribou has made some awesome mixes over the years, especially the ones that anchor the Tour CDs he put out from time to time. The 2005 and 2010 ones are defiantly worth checking out

edit: redundant adverb removal

Can't get this to play properly, if I go to YouTube to get the playlist with all 1000 tracks and 'Play all' it always stops after one track, never selecting the next one. I can switch manually by clicking on a video in the playlist (not by using the next button) but shuffle obviously doesn't work when I do it this way.

Anyway I randomly clicked that Aphrodite's Child track and recognized it as both an Eccojam and the inspiration for The Verve's 'The Rolling People'. This just confirms my suspicion that I need a lot more Vangelis in my life, I'll be on the lookout for that album now.

This is neat, thanks Caribou.

perfect mix to shuffle through for a few days at work. thanks chen, thanks caribou!

Exactly - already discovered some gems

Which led me to their discogs page (not carl craigs lol) and found they did some interesting shit.

manmower - do you have like ghostery or something like that that might be blocking cookies? I just put it on shuffle and works no problem with Firefox and adblockplus running.

Guys, please post some more highlights/unknown gems in here, there's no way in hell I'll have time to get through this, and I bet that goes for plenty of others in here as well.

Guest murphythecat8

each artist I know and love from his list, he picks such weird tunes, that I even wonder if he know which songs are the good ones

poser

each artist I know and love from his list, he picks such weird tunes, that I even wonder if he know which songs are the good ones

poser

Caribou is hardly a poser - but regardless this is a story of his musical life. In his own words:

As you can imagine, music has been a central love of my life since I was a teenager and over the years I’ve been introduced to a lot that has stayed with me. I’ve collected the majority of that music here – and I thought sharing it with you seemed like one way I could say thanks.

I’m sure some things are under-represented or over-represented, but roughly speaking this is a musical history of my life.

The band was founded back in the 1960s by Mingiedi, a virtuoso of the likembé (a traditional instrument sometimes called "sanza" or "thumb piano", consisting of metal rods attached to a resonator). The band's line-up includes three electric likembés (bass, medium and treble), equipped with hand-made microphones built from magnets salvaged from old car parts, and plugged into amplifiers. There's also a rhythm section which uses traditional as well as makeshift percussion (pans, pots and car parts), three singers, three dancers and a sound system featuring these famous megaphones.

Archived