IGNORED

Al has a Monomachine (a journal)

Al N Aafiysh

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! Yeah the main reason I got it was for the sequencer, but the synthesis engines are amazing. I'm sure my sound design will get more wacky eventually! I had some cool stuff going on with an arpeggiated reverb channel yesterday; the arpeggiator was controlling the filter frequency, and with a lot of resonance and portamento it was like a moving harmonic reverb over the other channel (which was also playing an arp). I think the key to sound design on this thing is to not get too carried away too quickly. That said, I'm going to have to spend some time just making really fucked up sounds with it, haha!

Actually, one question: is there a way to turn down the dry signal for the delay? I've tried both the LEVEL and VOL settings with the DSND all the way up but it didn't work. I want to use it to fake microtiming or drum polyphony. I suppose I should read the manual haha

I think the DSND is all you get for delay level control. So the volume is always at full blast but since you can control how much is going into it, you can kind of use that to control the level.

Yeah I stumbled on some arpeggiated reverb stuff recently too, that stuff is wacky good :D

I wanted to have little faux just intonation fun, so I used Max to generate 1024-sample (same length as the MnM DPRO wavetables) saw wave harmonics, 16 each for up and down. Then I loaded these in with c6. Now I can use these to make fat drones with just one DDRAW machine. I need to record this...

Speaking of, I just realized today I haven't actually recorded anything with the Monomachine yet even though I've had it for like 3 months. I need to rectify that.

I think the DSND is all you get for delay level control. So the volume is always at full blast but since you can control how much is going into it, you can kind of use that to control the level.

Ah, I meant make it so only the delay comes through, so the feedback can be turned down and it becomes a 'note delay' like in a tracker. Also that way you can have a hihat one step before a bassdrum in the sequencer, and plock the delay time so that it overlaps the bd and there you go, pseudo-polyphony!

Ah, I meant make it so only the delay comes through, so the feedback can be turned down and it becomes a 'note delay' like in a tracker. Also that way you can have a hihat one step before a bassdrum in the sequencer, and plock the delay time so that it overlaps the bd and there you go, pseudo-polyphony!

Ah, gotcha. I don't think you can use the to replace the dry signal. I've thought about using an LFO in half mode to tamp the volume down. Also I think you could use the arp to shift the timing just by triggering an arp step other than the first one. I haven't tried either, though. Hmm, maybe I should do that now...

Yeah, isn't the BBOX awesome? I love that thing. I was avoiding it for a while because I felt like I was overusing it and wanted to get used to rolling my own drums. I busted that out again today and man, it's just so fun! Especially with locks, it's so easy to get that thing singing.

Be prepared to wait :P

That said, I nearly bought an analog keys off a guy who found a mk2+ monomachine for $800 soooo.. just keep an eye on gumtree/ebay I guess

Hitting a bit of a composition wall with it, but I'm putting that down to not having a small midi keyboard to use with it just yet (I have an Alesis QX61 but it's on the other side of the room and I can't just fit it on my lap). Found one on ebay though, so will see how it goes.

Sound design wise though.. it's interesting. Every time I start with an idea it ends up being something completely different. I think once the initial experimentation dies down I might just try making some chippy IDM on it and see how it goes. I'm definitely getting the hang of the kit-based workflow, though lastnight I accidentally overwrote a kit when I thought I was saving a new one.

I think the composition wall I mentioned is due to having far too many options—I just want to take my tracks in every direction at once, haha! Perhaps if I start with something darker/less melodic I might be able to get some good things out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm definitely loving this thing

https://soundcloud.com/pselodux/shameless-autechre-ripoff

Got a little midi keyboard for it, and decided to just experiment with it until I'm comfortable with it

https://soundcloud.com/pselodux/uhhhh

https://soundcloud.com/pselodux/psychedelic

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived