IGNORED

Prefuse 73 - 2 EPs and one LP this year

sidewinder

[sc5]198937233[/sc5]

[youtubehd]ZpcF_Fx7AlQ[/youtubehd]

This is good stuff, I'm now fully interested in what May 12 will bring.

Applauded Assumptions sounds more like his older stuff to me.

http://www.factmag.com/2015/04/28/prefuse-73-interview/

Sometime in 2011, having delivered his eighth album for Warp, The Only She Chapters, the label informed Herren that it would not be taking the next option, thereby ending the relationship. “I didn’t know what to do. If I’m not on Warp who the fuck else is going to fuck with me?” The question was rhetorical. Four years on, Herren still seems a little shocked about how it all went down. The relationship had clearly soured, and someone at Warp – Herren still isn’t sure who or why – decided to end it. Such a sudden split would have perhaps been okay had it not been for a particularly painful twist: legally, the label retained control of his masters. “I couldn’t even release a 10-year anniversary of my debut, even though that changed the face of what kids are doing now.”

The whole album is now up on youtube:

[youtubehd]1dyrLUWq5FM?list=PLmXyDS6VoSt4FLCVPcHPLD-bqHv1js2CM[/youtubehd]

Thoughts on the album?

It's pretty good, you know from the first sec you're back into his kind of sounds, the ones you missed so much but didn't realise it yet...

Not many standouts to me yet though, my favourites are : the intro, applauded assumptions and its killer break, as well as Jacinto Lyric Range.

I like the flow of the EP better, but overall, it's great to have him back !

• 2 weeks later...

Just listened, doesn't have any attack or hard bounce, pleasantly cruises along like he's been doing, well except when busdriver shows up. He needs those angles.

• 2 weeks later...

As a longtime p73 fan this album (Rivington) is a plodding mess. That interview was an eye opener too and I genuinely feel bad for the guy, seems like he's lost the plot or at the very least his sense of direction. Hot damn his early albums were so effortlessly brilliant but it seems that he got caught up in critical expectations, meta-cognition, etc. and tried to get over by indulging in more rootsy, conventional composition instead of the fractured future hiphop (which tbh he's best at), who knows maybe there's no going back but w/e, the promo angle was that this is some return to form when it clearly isn't.

Shit, I caned the shit outta this on my car system the other day and it's still as fresh as the day he punched it out the mpc

Also as a disclaimer everything I said above could be total bs given that I'm not a super talented producer having to decide between making the music I want vs what others expect, &c

• 3 weeks later...

The EP and LP he released this year were both very dull to me. Sons of the Morning was not as dull, (and even had good moments on it). That's more like what I would like to hear from him.

These releases sound like very safe, uncreative offshoots of The Only She Chapters, even though these are better than that album by miles.

I'm really not a fan of the Infrared track. Shame it's on both the first EP and the LP (even if different versions), kind of brings the whole experience down for me.

Yeah that track is just awful and ruins the album(s)

• 4 weeks later...

Every Color of Darkness may be the best of the three releases this year. I've only played it twice, but it seems more abstract and interesting. Also it doesn't contain Infrared.

• 1 month later...

As a longtime p73 fan this album (Rivington) is a plodding mess.

imo, the album + both ep's were huge disappointments. it seems like a return to form is looking more and more unlikely, as he wades off into these unfocused and uninspired waters of boringness. I mean just listen to his 1st 2 albums, they both were incredibly tight, very focused highly original hip-hop/electronic masterpieces. the tracks had great melodies and the head nodding force was at its peak...I tried a couple of times to get into these new releases, gave enough time to let them sit, and came back with the same conclusion that he has lost whatever was inspiring his creativity back in the early 2000's. it sucks for him he was dropped by warp, but it isn't surprising given his track record in the last decade or so...

Archived