IGNORED

Aphex responding to comments on Soundcloud

zazen

is naked the movie that starts with a rape scene? i couldn't get past through it when i tried watching it in high school because it's just such a weird thing for an opening scene.

yes it is, but strangely (after that) it's worth watching, it alternates between hilarious to just out-there-weirdness, but the humor is real dark. I wouldn't watch it in a depressing mood because it will send you a bit suicidal lol.

mad film

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He handled that well!

That's what I thought about all of his responses on Soundcloud. He really shouldn't dignify the twats with any of his attention, but if he's going to, he did a very good job.

every time poeple write something like 'i took me YEARS to get it!' i always think they just kinda trained their brain to like it by listening to something loads of times. a mere-exposure effect type stuff.

i am very cynical.

Does it make a difference? People are moulded by their experiences, as a result so are their tastes. You can "learn to like" something you immediately didn't like, but that does not mean that in reality it's shit and you are just fooling yourself. It means that you have adapted into understanding something on a level that the old version of you was not capable of understanding.

Let's not pretend that anyone is born with a sophisticated taste in any type of culture. It all happens through exposure to different things. I think some folks just come to think that the current version of their personality is somehow "complete" and there is no need for them to re-evaluate themselves (or their tastes) any more, when in reality you never stop changing.

it's more a response to 'critics are full of shit because they listen to stuff barely 3 times and already write down an opinion, but i listened to it until i liked it so the album must be great'. as long as you enjoy what you're listening to i don't care how you got there (instantly or by getting familiar with it), just stop bitching that some paper guy didn't appreciated it the way you did. we're all constantly changing and evolving, maybe the pitchfork guy now thinks drukqs is the best album ever. it's not his fault he had a deadline. maybe he had a worse day. maybe his girlfiend broke up with him on that day. we're all just humans.

don't be a dick is what i'm getting at.

I think what rixxx meant was that if he knowingly came here for a AMA, people would be over the top with praise.....maybe

People are over the top with praise without him being here tbh, if he came here it would be like dropping a steak into a pool of pirahnas

Guest cult fiction

so he prefers talking to random people on soundcloud to giving some sort of AMA at WATMM?

98 percent of fans love this album, why does he have to listen and respond to the minority??

Exactly! He writes to some asshole who is pissed because his lame shit dubstep isn't more popular than Aphex Twin.

Richard: If you are online sneeking around, come in here on WATMM and you will get lots of hugs :)

He already has a wife to suck his dick, I doubt he wants a sloppy teethy one off watmm.

how dare you insult WATMM's metaphorical collective blowjob abilities

I think what rixxx meant was that if he knowingly came here for a AMA, people would be over the top with praise.....maybe

People are over the top with praise without him being here tbh, if he came here it would be like dropping a steak into a pool of pirahnas

innit

Guest cult fiction

aren't we talking about a guy who didn't talk to joyrex for years because he called druqks 'quite good' tho???

p.s. if i made druqks and joyrex called it 'quite good' i'd be quite displeased as well

especially after slaving over those microedits for many a month

Guest murphythecat8

every time poeple write something like 'i took me YEARS to get it!' i always think they just kinda trained their brain to like it by listening to something loads of times. a mere-exposure effect type stuff.

i am very cynical.

Does it make a difference? People are moulded by their experiences, as a result so are their tastes. You can "learn to like" something you immediately didn't like, but that does not mean that in reality it's shit and you are just fooling yourself. It means that you have adapted into understanding something on a level that the old version of you was not capable of understanding.

Let's not pretend that anyone is born with a sophisticated taste in any type of culture. It all happens through exposure to different things. I think some folks just come to think that the current version of their personality is somehow "complete" and there is no need for them to re-evaluate themselves (or their tastes) any more, when in reality you never stop changing.

it's more a response to 'critics are full of shit because they listen to stuff barely 3 times and already write down an opinion, but i listened to it until i liked it so the album must be great'. as long as you enjoy what you're listening to i don't care how you got there (instantly or by getting familiar with it), just stop bitching that some paper guy didn't appreciated it the way you did. we're all constantly changing and evolving, maybe the pitchfork guy now thinks drukqs is the best album ever. it's not his fault he had a deadline. maybe he had a worse day. maybe his girlfiend broke up with him on that day. we're all just humans.

don't be a dick is what i'm getting at.

my problem with reviewers is who the fuck are they. why would they be in a position to judge and critic a album. they have tons of exposure, they can absolutely hurt a artist career and for what? why would there little opinion be shown to the world?

Most of them doesnt even care about music, they just try to ego trip and state how superior there little taste are and make shitty analogy like: oh this passage sounds like another obscure artist and im cool to know this unknown artist how superior I am to be able to make stupid analogy.

This is some really interesting piece of info. Thanks for posting it here. I too thought that the name suggests he released the mixes for cash (but I thought that it was just your good ol' Richard pissing around)

Yeah, hugs! Don't be a jerk rix.

Im talking about like what Autechre did here on WATMM! Holy shit that was historical and I missed it.

I did see Richard on Bloc 2011 sitting down and had a talk with someone and I was to scared to say hello. Now he respond to an idiot on soundcloud? Jises :P

i dont want afx to do an ama, dont care, i was just saying why focus on the one negative comment where there is like a million positive comments on the soundcloud, it just seems weird, i guess i wont understand till i spend years working on a song then have some nobody criticize it.

i dont want afx to do an ama, dont care, i was just saying why focus on the one negative comment where there is like a million positive comments on the soundcloud, it just seems weird, i guess i wont understand till i spend years working on a song then have some nobody criticize it.

+1

Could it be why he didnt release something for very long time? Too scared to handle the shitheads playing negative!?

informative and interesting responses, I liked the quote from Naked

nice bit of lore about 26 remixes, although it makes it seem less mercenary, it can still be read that way and have that effect. I guess a lot of Aphex releases have ambiguous titles: drukqs, I care because you do, hangable auto bulb...

anyway even though he only responded to haters its cool to see him pop in and respond a little

also I'm glad the official soundcloud is not defunct

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

is naked the movie that starts with a rape scene? i couldn't get past through it when i tried watching it in high school because it's just such a weird thing for an opening scene.

yes it is, but strangely (after that) it's worth watching, it alternates between hilarious to just out-there-weirdness, but the humor is real dark. I wouldn't watch it in a depressing mood because it will send you a bit suicidal lol.

mad film

http://youtu.be/YcLpiq_dGMA

Reviews are mostly a crock anyhow. Some pretentious wordsmith hunched over a thesaurus in a sterile office hammering away at a keyboard about how bad or good a song is doesn't change all the senses and feelings I have tied in with a song. The pitchfork review of Drukqs is horrid.

I just don't get how reviewers can expect to formulate a well-rounded opinion of something when they only have a listen or two of it (considering the sheer volume of material they have to review). This is especially true of drukqs; took me years to appreciate the album for what it is and now it is among my very favourites.

That was 2001 too, the reviewer probably listened to it multiple time over days and weeks. I can't imagine how reviewers write such in-depth, fleshed out pieces on music that they are literally only going to promote and highlight for mere days. It's crazy seeing how reviewers/music journalists on twitter especially seem to have to respond to something within 24 hours of it being released.

Reviews are mostly a crock anyhow. Some pretentious wordsmith hunched over a thesaurus in a sterile office hammering away at a keyboard about how bad or good a song is doesn't change all the senses and feelings I have tied in with a song. The pitchfork review of Drukqs is horrid.

I just don't get how reviewers can expect to formulate a well-rounded opinion of something when they only have a listen or two of it (considering the sheer volume of material they have to review). This is especially true of drukqs; took me years to appreciate the album for what it is and now it is among my very favourites.

That was 2001 too, the reviewer probably listened to it multiple time over days and weeks. I can't imagine how reviewers write such in-depth, fleshed out pieces on music that they are literally only going to promote and highlight for mere days. It's crazy seeing how reviewers/music journalists on twitter especially seem to have to respond to something within 24 hours of it being released.

I think a lot of what these reviewers do is guesswork. Form an impression on sounds which will take many years to digest. It's more their writing skills that come into play, drafting a decent initial impression. They have to use their language skills to write stuff down in a few days, then they're off listening to another album from Professor Green or something and have to readjust their mindset. I remember Ae sympathising with them on this note.

music makers would sooth the balls of their hero's by letting them dip their balls in a tank of those little foot spa fish that nibble away all the dead skin. If a pirhana arrives in those waters, they may be minus a helmet but they'll have balls which feel sensational.

Archived