IGNORED

Melody Generating Software

sTeh B L

Sometimes, I mess around with Riff Machine (FL Studio), Glitch, Glitch 2, and GrossBeat. Does anyone know of or use any other VSTi that generates, rearranges, or manipulates melodies?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes, I mess around with Riff Machine (FL Studio), Glitch, Glitch 2, and GrossBeat. Does anyone know of or use any other VSTi that generates, rearranges, or manipulates melodies?

dunno about rearranging, but this app generates whole songs in selectable genres;

http://codeminion.com/blogs/maciek/2008/05/cgmusic-computers-create-music/

It generates a midi file which you can open in the daw of choice. Haven't used it myself yet, but the test results have been interesting, maybe good for generating starting points?

yeah there are some really great reaktor user ensembles that practically generate randomised (within parameters) electronic music, super cool to play around with

Mbiragen,Nova (vst),Otomata,Lmusix (stand alone) can generate pure randomness...

You can play around with Nodal Sequencer (stand alone) which is "path/node probability based"...

Live midi modules are doing the job : one C1 only midi loop feeds chance, arpegiator ,velocity,scale, split by note, arpegiator and so on...I'm pretty sure these modules exist in nearly every other daw...

For sure Max and Reaktor are the best choices for this kind of task as you will customize each parameter to your need/taste. ( User content on this matter is pretty huge )

I'm not using all this alot mayself as it's alway hard to get that glorious chord progression two times in a row...I use 'em sometimes to unfold some parts of the melody, and chop the three midi notes I never would have thought of... :)

I appreciate the feedback. A lot of people here are suggesting Reaktor, so I'll look into that.

Also, I'm having a problem in GrossBeat. I'm trying to manipulate a melody that I composed in 3/4, but I can't figure out how to stop GrossBeat from editing in 4/4. Does anyone know a way around this?

wolfram alpha has a little tool that can do this and then export a midi file.

I tried that and couldn't get it to work, might be a browser thing. I used to have an old PC app too that did mad melodies based on fractal maths things, which made some cool BoC sounding melodies. Can't remember what it's called though, soz.

I should mention though that the best experience I've had with this kind of stuff was this program I found, I've forgotten the name sorry, that could take your existing melody as midi, and then make variations based on that. I had fun with that. I'm guessing it has algorithms which detected the scale and such because it was in tune most of the time, though I only used it for a few tracks. I'd rather just hear what melody I want and implement it that way.

this isn't exactly melody generations software but this chord progression maker/detector series put together by Fabrizio/J74 'HarmoTools' and 'Progressive" is pretty useful. It's a Max4live set for Ableton that generates full chord progressions as clips and then lets you detect or read the chord progression and lock another midi track to a scale according to what chord is playing. What i especially like about this is no other plugin set or software i've used like this works so seamlessly inside of a DAW workflow. being able to just drop actual clips inside the clip mode of Live, I hope more people make Max4live patch in a similar vein.

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device/2311/j74-progressive

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

dunno about rearranging, but this app generates whole songs in selectable genres;

http://codeminion.com/blogs/maciek/2008/05/cgmusic-computers-create-music/

It generates a midi file which you can open in the daw of choice. Haven't used it myself yet, but the test results have been interesting, maybe good for generating starting points?

This is really good fun actually. Just set up an odd time sig pop rocky project with some flamboyant key changes and ended up with something not entirely dissimilar to a Goblin track, haha. I've never worked like this before, really refreshing

just fyi i've found max is a bit better for midi, it was originally made for sequencing 20+ years ago wheras reaktor was a bit later and was always more focused on dsp

imo reaktor is a better synth and max is a better sequencer. not that you can't do practically the same thing in either it's just more how you go about it and what objects accommodate what need

I fell into a rabbit hole with Reaktor, and that's pretty much my main focus at the moment. Though, I'm definitely going to look into this "max," thing, eventually. Thanks for the info.

You can play around with Nodal Sequencer (stand alone) which is "path/node probability based"...

You suggested a couple other vst first, so I don't know why I started here, but I did for some reason. Anyways, I got the demo, but I haven't played around with it enough to know how I feel yet. But, I saw a video demonstrating it's capabilities, and as for as I'm concerned it looks (or sounds) awesome. I'll check out yours and others suggestions soon.

Thanks again to everyone for the information.

just fyi i've found max is a bit better for midi, it was originally made for sequencing 20+ years ago wheras reaktor was a bit later and was always more focused on dsp

imo reaktor is a better synth and max is a better sequencer. not that you can't do practically the same thing in either it's just more how you go about it and what objects accommodate what need

I fell into a rabbit hole with Reaktor, and that's pretty much my main focus at the moment. Though, I'm definitely going to look into this "max," thing, eventually. Thanks for the info.

You suggested a couple other vst first, so I don't know why I started here, but I did for some reason. Anyways, I got the demo, but I haven't played around with it enough to know how I feel yet. But, I saw a video demonstrating it's capabilities, and as for as I'm concerned it looks (or sounds) awesome. I'll check out yours and others suggestions soon.

Thanks again to everyone for the information.

mesh is right, i think getting into max as opposed to reaktor is a good idea for what you're aiming to do. Reaktor was never and will never be more superior to max/msp as far as basic midi generation stuff goes, and with Max4Live using Max is just as easy as using Reaktor.

yo boys,

rather than starting a new topic - to carry on this melody generating buzz - i've often wondered if any programs exist that can interpret melodies sang by a human voice and spit out midi of it? I know there's a few that do this based off musical instruments/songs - often i'd have a melody in my head and would try to record my voice 'performing' it, but i'm no trained singer, so i wonder how well a program would interpret my awful pitch? But even some sort of attempt at midi'ing it would be helpful as a starting point to re-create it later.

Celemony's Melodyne is the main software people use for that kind of thing, though recently Ableton has the addition of the 'Convert melody to midi' tool that does an [albeit not as accurate] version of it. There may be cheaper options but that's the two off the top of my head.

i am curious as to why people would want to rely on software for THE MOST IMPORTANT PART of music composition....that which is supposed have emotion,exude personality,taste and really mean something to YOU...the so called "composer"?

while i understand some folks are tone deaf or have issues being creative it's weird to me

i am curious as to why people would want to rely on software for THE MOST IMPORTANT PART of music composition....that which is supposed have emotion,exude personality,taste and really mean something to YOU...the so called "composer"?

while i understand some folks are tone deaf or have issues being creative it's weird to me

arguably if you're using or relying on generative/random melody software because you have no idea to write a melody it would be a weird thing to do, so in that sense I agree. Not all of the best or most accomplished music out there is composed note by note, and in a similar sense using slightly random alterations or tools to aid the melodic process would be just including that school of thought in music making in general into computer/electronic music. Inputting everything manually one piece at a time with 100% intention for every step to me would actually narrow your creative outlook, it would be like rejecting Jazz techniques because jazz musicians are 'not good composers' and only sticking with a classical method instead. So why not try using both or all different styles of melodic compositional tools? Surely a piano roll can't be inspiring enough on it's own to keep you excited about a lifetime of composing. The most important part of music is conveying emotion, and if the computer helped you convey a little bit of that emotion who really cares?

Im sure most hardcore classical composers of the 1700s-1800's or 20th century composers would cringe at the way most of us in this forum make music, how using a DAW is cheating or short changing what the true value is of composing. We've all obviously moved past that and i think eventually most people are going to accept some aspect of auto/generative composition in the future of music, its just a matter of time. (but when a computer on it's own starts making music or art more interesting than humans, well have a whole different existential crisis on our hands)

i am curious as to why people would want to rely on software for THE MOST IMPORTANT PART of music composition....that which is supposed have emotion,exude personality,taste

OT, but i disagree with what you said there. THE MOST IMPORTANT PART of music composition....? and why is my music supposed to be/do/have anything?? supposed by who? you???

for the rest, see honestman's answer who's spot on.

• 2 weeks later...

i am curious as to why people would want to rely on software for THE MOST IMPORTANT PART of music composition....that which is supposed have emotion,exude personality,taste

OT, but i disagree with what you said there. THE MOST IMPORTANT PART of music composition....? and why is my music supposed to be/do/have anything?? supposed by who? you???

feel free to make melody-less tracks!

no one is stopping you!

silly me for insinuating the part of the song 95% of the general non music making population remembers is the melody/hook and it's harmonies

feel free to make melody-less tracks!

no one is stopping you!

silly me for insinuating the part of the song 95% of the general non music making population remembers is the melody/hook and it's harmonies

lol @ saying this on a forum dedicated to a genre that is 75% about sound design

yikes you are not a producer....shush

please shush yourself and think before you post son

how fucking dare you !

i've been producing music for along time thank you very much

all of which were made without melody generating software

try this one

or this one

what a bunch of &^%$'s

Archived