IGNORED

Big Ears 2015 - Knoxville, TN

Vilwx

March 27-29, 2015

Knoxville, TN

Anyone else in the States interested in this?

I went last year and although Vladislav Delay couldn't make it (one of the primary acts I went for), I had way more fun than I expected. I had wanted to go back in 2010 too, but I couldn't afford it then.

For its previous four iterations this festival has been pretty diverse but they reguarly have acts that WATMMers would be interested in. This year's lineup includes Clark, Ben Frost, A Winged Victory for the Sullen, Harold Budd, Loscil, Grouper, Terry Riley, Max Richter, Demdike Stare, Bing & Ruth, Holly Herndon, Nosaj Thing, and The Bad Plus (heh). Knoxville's a pretty neat town as well! I'm really looking forward to this weekend.

• 4 weeks later...

Went last year as well and had a blast. Bought my weekend pass for this year as soon as it went on sale, but turns out I can't go; really bummed.

If I was able to go this year, it'd be hard for me to leave halfway through Bing & Ruth's set for Grouper. But Grouper is at the top of my must-see list, so it'd have to happen.

Last year's highlights for me were Oneohtrix, Tim Hecker, Colin Stetson, Laraaji, Julia Holter, and Vatican Shadow. Knoxville is really cool, I agree. The Casual Pint was a great place to end the nights with some great brews, and there are a good amount of good eats. Walking around the town and UT was cool too.

Anybody know if tickets are transferable? Not trying to scalp, but wondering if I could sell my pass for at least a portion of what I paid.

According to the ticket info:

The resale or attempted resale of passes/tickets at a price higher than that appearing on the face of the pass/ticket is prohibited and if discovered will result in the ticket being voided without refund.

It's pretty specific about pricing, so I'd say you can just sell it to someone for face value. I didn't go through the check-in last year but I don't think they check names on the ticket or anything. There are some tickets on sale on craigslist, but I don't know if that really means anything considering it's craigslist, ya know

Yeah, last year's line-up looks better than this year's on paper, but again, it turned out to be way better than I had expected. And I'll probably do exactly that-- leave Bing & Ruth to catch Grouper on time. Loscil's music will be really cool in a venue and Harold Budd in the TN Theatre will be amazing.

There are some tickets on sale on craigslist, but I don't know if that really means anything considering it's craigslist, ya know

On Knoxville's craigslist? I'll have to check that out. Don't really know where else to list them. Stubhub? If anyone reading this is interested in a cheap weekend pass, PM me. I don't recall having to show an ID when I picked up tickets last year.

I agree on the blown expectations; there were some musicians that I'd never heard of that blew me away. That's the beauty of Big Ears I guess, or any music festival really.

Really bummed about missing Harold Budd too. And the Demdike score! Suggestions on where to start with Loscil?

Are you staying in town? Last year I stayed in the World's Fair Park Holiday Inn and loved it. Saw Kim Gordon a bunch in the hotel, so that was cool. But I thought it was perfect walking distance to all the venues.

My favorite Loscil release is First Narrows, but Plume and Endless Falls seem to be his most popular. So I'd recommend those three I guess. His new one is very cool too.

Probably will be staying with some friends that live near downtown. Yeah, I remember seeing some of the guests all over the place, in restaurants, smoking cigarettes outside of the venues, etc. Pretty normal for a festival in the middle of the city.

• 4 weeks later...

My favorite Loscil release is First Narrows, but Plume and Endless Falls seem to be his most popular. So I'd recommend those three I guess. His new one is very cool too.

Probably will be staying with some friends that live near downtown. Yeah, I remember seeing some of the guests all over the place, in restaurants, smoking cigarettes outside of the venues, etc. Pretty normal for a festival in the middle of the city.

How was it??

• 2 weeks later...

Archived