IGNORED

Another CAT023 On Ebay - Signed By Richard - 20,000 USD

Joyrex

A small update on this:

While I have yet to get confirmation/denial from the relevant parties, this release may actually be legit - no idea regarding the source material though (whether it is made from the digital audio files we released, or from masters).

I strongly advise anyone who would desire this on vinyl to wait until this is actually released or I can report some sort of official statement that validates this release not being an illegal bootleg.

Also, keep in mind that it is on clear vinyl, so the audio quality (as with coloured vinyl) may be less than stellar, despite being "heavyweight" as the description says.

A small update on this:

While I have yet to get confirmation/denial from the relevant parties, this release may actually be legit - no idea regarding the source material though (whether it is made from the digital audio files we released, or from masters).

I strongly advise anyone who would desire this on vinyl to wait until this is actually released or I can report some sort of official statement that validates this release not being an illegal bootleg.

Also, keep in mind that it is on clear vinyl, so the audio quality (as with coloured vinyl) may be less than stellar, despite being "heavyweight" as the description says.

Interesting, so RDJ might have given the go ahead for its distribution?

Didn't get a chance to drop by PR today, I've traveled away from the city, should be back to ask tomorrow.

Apologies for the double post, found this user commenting on Caustic Window profile on discogs:

http://www.discogs.com/user/BEGGARSBRIDGE

A limited repress on the vinyl is due anyday now if you cant get a copy drop me a line

Looks like he might have been involved with a couple other bootlegs before, and got into some argument with Vinyl Exchange's discogs account (Who have a store opposite PR)... not sure if he's involved with distribution at all.

INTRIGUE :trashbear:

UPDATE: Grant says it's not legit, a bootleg, so stay far away - most likely made from the Kickstarter audio files!

Aside from being morally reprehensible, isn't that kind of thing a felony? Bootlegging movies is a felony.

yeah it's illegal, but like with movies people have always done it and will always do it

Well no, I get that. What I was getting at is, isn't it pretty damn stupid to try selling a bootlegged movie through your official/legal store/record label? Why would anyone put it up so blatantly instead of trying to sell it out of a white van lol.

http://www.piccadillyrecords.com/prod/CausticWindow-CausticWindowClearVinylEdition-Rephlex-101450.html

So yeah dropped by Piccadilly to treat myself to a payday record during my lunch break, brought up Caustic Window at the desk. I asked if he had a name or something of whoever contacted them about it, they went off to check, came back and thought maybe it really was a bootleg, disappeared to the back again to chat to someone... came back and said someone from Rephlex had confirmed it was legit, mentioned something about folks buying up licenses. I think I made the mistake of name-dropped Rephlex too early, but hey ho. I'm much more inclined to believe Joyrex. I neglected to bring up Joyrex's recent update. Sorry I couldn't find out more.

This is the RA article where the author contacts PR about bootlegs, from 2008:

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?985

So yeah dropped by Piccadilly to treat myself to a payday record during my lunch break, brought up Caustic Window at the desk. I asked if he had a name or something of whoever contacted them about it, they went off to check, came back and thought maybe it really was a bootleg, disappeared to the back again to chat to someone... came back and said someone from Rephlex had confirmed it was legit, mentioned something about folks buying up licenses. I think I made the mistake of name-dropped Rephlex too early, but hey ho. I'm much more inclined to believe Joyrex. I neglected to bring up Joyrex's recent update. Sorry I couldn't find out more.

mhmm thanks for the link! ;-)

Such a bluff this. There is basically only one person behind Rephlex, they also didn't have distribution from SRD anymore so Grant would've had to make this deal. Buying up licenses sounds fishy too, all rights over music released on Rephlex were returned to the artists when they quit. Not sure if you could still license something in that case?

Anyway, I got a message back from that discogs user saying that he thinks it is an unofficial release (obvious by now, but just to add to Joyrex his statement).

Such a bluff this. There is basically only one person behind Rephlex, they also didn't have distribution from SRD anymore so Grant would've had to make this deal. Buying up licenses sounds fishy too, all rights over music released on Rephlex were returned to the artists when they quit. Not sure if you could still license something in that case?

Anyway, I got a message back from that discogs user saying that he thinks it is an unofficial release (obvious by now, but just to add to Joyrex his statement).

Yeah it was all kind of awkward really, as you mentioned, they didn't cite Grant or Rich as giving their blessing, just "Rephlex". They also mentioned something about the condition of the release date being unknown or vague with their deal, so sounds like a conversation has taken place, rather than just a distributor promising a box of copies. Who knows :cerious:

Yeah it was all kind of awkward really, as you mentioned, they didn't cite Grant or Rich as giving their blessing, just "Rephlex". They also mentioned something about the condition of the release date being unknown or vague with their deal, so sounds like a conversation has taken place, rather than just a distributor promising a box of copies. Who knows :cerious:

I spoke to Grant about this, and it was he who asked Piccadilly to change the label listing from Rephlex to Unknown on their site.

Have you listened to it yet? I'm curious if it's painfully obvious they used the Kickstarter rip for their master (and do you have the Kickstarter rip to compare to)?

I'm surprised you got it already - the only semi firm (ha) release date I saw was 9 February...

I didn't buy it, it's not available yet and are only taking pre-orders, by "brought up" I meant the conversation topic, bad choice of words on my part :) Interesting that Grant already spoke to them about it, thanks for clarifying.

ok now i'm really starting to suspect that dude that came to watmm, right in the middle of soundclog hype, and asked what richard handwritings look like. first was fake bandcamp releases, cat023 (this stuff looks real tho) then this...he even mentions caustic window selling for 20K in the description

ofc it all can be a just coisidence, and people want to make money cause afex is star now

but how can you tell this is actual richard handwriting? who would buy that? i can do the same shit, basically

ok now i'm really starting to suspect that dude that came to watmm, right in the middle of soundclog hype, and asked what richard handwritings look like. first was fake bandcamp releases, cat023 (this stuff looks real tho) then this...he even mentions caustic window selling for 20K in the description

ofc it all can be a just coisidence, and people want to make money cause afex is star now

but how can you tell this is actual richard handwriting? who would buy that? i can do the same shit, basically

Although I agree it's very hard to pinpoint if this is legit (therefore I'm not even considering buying it, a signature isn't worth so much extra), I don't think it's that guy, mostly because he has a different eBay account with 200+ feedback, this one also has 1500+ feedback, not just a throw away fake account for something that has no impact on the world whatsoever.

Archived