IGNORED

the five dollar fantano review

beerwolf

It must be hard to find a sense of purpose when your contributions consist of rating other people's blood sweat and tears. But as long as I'm making more money than him I don't give a shit really.

How does he make his money ? He does not make his sole income from reviews and his channel does he ?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It must be hard to find a sense of purpose when your contributions consist of rating other people's blood sweat and tears. But as long as I'm making more money than him I don't give a shit really.

How does he make his money ? He does not make his sole income from reviews and his channel does he ?

I'm assuming he's a "Youtube Partner" which means he'll get some cash from ad revenue on his videos.

I'm assuming he's a "Youtube Partner" which means he'll get some cash from ad revenue on his videos.

You don't even need to be one of those - as soon as you hit ~10-15k views you can immediately monetise the video with ads.

It's like the XFactor, which party do dislike the most? The judges or the fucking sheep in the audience?

To be fair Mister Fantano and Cowell and his cronies are just making money from fuckwits. And I'd quite happily do the same in their shoes. I think I'm more upset about the gullible fools who are gonna pay him his 5 dollars just to him his sermon on Tangerine Dream.

Well, he's doing what we all do here, but for money instead of for free. It seems your problem is with the concept of professional (as in remunerated) criticism more than with Fantano. Might as well shit on Roger Ebert while we're at it

Guest murphythecat8

the problem with fantano is his bad taste.

Id happily pay for a guy who do something like him but with decent taste. he follow trends so closely it seems he has no taste of his own.

hes a real and true poser.

the problem with fantano is his bad taste.

Id happily pay for a guy who do something like him but with decent taste. he follow trends so closely it seems he has no taste of his own.

hes a real and true poser.

the_lord_of_darkness.jpg

i thought this was gonna be "fantano will review your track for $5", which tbh would be a ril good dil considering you'd be name dropped on one of the most popular music vlogs going

I am sure this would make him more money tbh. If just for the lols, I would give it a go. My tracks are shit anyway.

Perhaps you dorks should take a moment to appreciate the pro's of capitalism once in a while.

If people are willing to pay for his services, praise the lord! If not, still praise the Lord for the people have spoken and all that jazz.

Good riddance...

(I'm sure he's a better reviewer than most of you out there, btw ;P)

that being said, he's correct in saying that it's extra content, traditionally a reviewer has their content in a tangible format that's paid for - YouTube revenue with an audience who almost all have adblock may not pay all that much. It's the same reason he sells shirts at the end of the day.

Well, he's doing what we all do here, but for money instead of for free. It seems your problem is with the concept of professional (as in remunerated) criticism more than with Fantano. Might as well shit on Roger Ebert while we're at it

Roger Ebert had lots of illuminating things to say, though. His retrospective review of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was kind of powerful coming from someone at his stage of life.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/eternal-sunshine-of-the-spotless-mind-2004-1

Yeah I know about all that but there is no way he makes enough money off that alone to afford rent in Connecticut

He must have another job

Roger Ebert had lots of illuminating things to say, though. His retrospective review of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was kind of powerful coming from someone at his stage of life.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/eternal-sunshine-of-the-spotless-mind-2004-1

Best Ebert review

actually, he said that's exactly how he makes his money.

there are some reviewers who will even tell you when they're not making enough money and encourage you to share and "like" the video so they can quit their day jobs

actually, he said that's exactly how he makes his money.

there are some reviewers who will even tell you when they're not making enough money and encourage you to share and "like" the video so they can quit their day jobs

I did not realize that you could make a annual income that could support a house or apt in CT just from youtube. I knew some people made a living off it but I thought those were just the people with conventional channels. You know the health gurus, the girls who review make up and the Andy Milonakas types.

Guest bitroast

fandango is no ebert. thumbs down at comparison.

Guest bitroast

a youtube channel digging into the depths of underground unsigned music found on forums and soundcloud and bandcamp, providing insights and exposing talent would be interesting.

rehashing the same albums that appear on every other music site (*cough* pitchfork) and providing just your own opinion on the albums... i legitimately don't get the point. especially in the day and age of youtube/spotify where to get the gist of an album all it takes is a quick search and you can hear samples or .. yknow,,... the full thing streaming somewhere, what good is one persons opinion? unless you are super duper in line with the guys opinions and find yourself agreeing with his reviews all the time and find him to be a reliable means of getting music recommendations on good new albums, i 100% don't get the point of a music reviewer just reviewing the same old albums everyone else already knows about and giving them an opinion.

Guest bitroast

fandogo's shtick seems to be his humour/personality angle. i mean, he provides good descriptions and breakdowns on the music and his opinions aren't terrible. but i can't help shake the feeling the reason he's popular is because of his personality. in the same way that pewdiepie is popular ?? people watch it as a means of having a regular online personality to check in on ? ? seems more about the personality appearing in front of camera and less about 'the music' ... (imo?? of coursE)

It's a cheesy move but it doesn't really change my opinion of him.

I watch his videos every once in a while to see if I'm missing out on anything. When he describes something in a way that sounds exciting to me, I'm usually disappointed when I check it out. I see in him the same thing I see in a lot of music nerds where the things they rate highly, while not necessarily trendy and are often doing interesting things, are often too slick and glib. When I listen to music I want to get goosebumps or like I'm dipping my balls into a nice warm bath. I can't remember any tunes like that I've found through his channel. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree - I'm looking to be introduced to new and delicious things, not for evaluations of things I've already heard about and am just going to hear and say "yeah, that's about what I expected."

There's a smugness to a lot of what he says, not just about music, that often rubs me the wrong way. I think that "for those who give a shit about my channel" is coming from that place. He has another channel under the name "thatistheplan" that had a video of him giving that cliched spiel about how if you don't chase your dreams when you're in your 20s, you have wasted your life/opportunities. I guess the point was something along the lines of life's short, or carpe diem, or #yolo or whatever. But it came off as quite entitled and condescending. I guess he is just insecure like everyone else, and depending on his own public persona to pay the bills probably just feeds that insecurity. So he has to compensate for that.

I think the thing that makes me still believe in him is that he said that Wire's Pink Flag is a "10" in his book. I don't totally agree but it's the sort if thing I'd probably give high marks if I was in his shoes, something messy and lopsided and ambitious. Rather than whatever Goldilocks band he usually gives an 8 or 9.

• 2 weeks later...

a youtube channel digging into the depths of underground unsigned music found on forums and soundcloud and bandcamp, providing insights and exposing talent would be interesting.

rehashing the same albums that appear on every other music site (*cough* pitchfork) and providing just your own opinion on the albums... i legitimately don't get the point. especially in the day and age of youtube/spotify where to get the gist of an album all it takes is a quick search and you can hear samples or .. yknow,,... the full thing streaming somewhere, what good is one persons opinion? unless you are super duper in line with the guys opinions and find yourself agreeing with his reviews all the time and find him to be a reliable means of getting music recommendations on good new albums, i 100% don't get the point of a music reviewer just reviewing the same old albums everyone else already knows about and giving them an opinion.

Actually that would be dope

there is a tumblr that is dedicated to band findings on bandcamp

but a video blog like you described would be amazing

Archived