IGNORED

What are your long term music goals?

Lane Visitor

My goal is to finally make a track that gives me a genuine feeling of awe. I get some kind of satisfaction with every track I finish but I just want to make that one that impresses me. If I get there I hope I'll be able to keep the quality up and make some albums.

Listen to your tracks after you've forgot about them in 5 or 10 years. You might get that feeling with a couple of them. Being in the thick of it is a different sense of satisfaction than listening to your music without recalling the process of making them.

Totally true. If you've been able to make music and "know you're pretty good" for at least 10 years, listening to tracks you haven't heard in at least 5 years will make you realize that you were just as awesome as you thought you were (or more). It's unfortunate that that level of confirmation takes years, though, but if you have that opportunity, it's fun and good for inspiration to help you in the present. This span of time will also affirm negative qualities that are still existent in your production or workflow-- for me anyway, it's having to actually finish tracks/albums.

With drawing, I've finally gotten to that point of being able to let go, draw freely, sincerely and directly express, and end up with something that is me, "impresses me" and somehow goes beyond what I expected but also exactly what I expected. Since I have that level with drawing, I use that as a baseline comparison with my music, and then where I'm lacking really becomes apparent. If you take your highest skill (any skill)- the one that is so natural, innate, and easy for you to be ultra at- then compare that with your music, you can see how your music is lacking. All skills at high levels are art, and all the best art is about sincerity and ease of flow. So in the end, aesthetics are merely a superficial outcome of a refined process. If you can feeeeeeeeel the way you do when performing your highest skill (which is a hard to describe zen type state) and apply it to music, that music skill will also become ultra (I think one of the main problems that every artist encounters is that they second-guess themselves and modify a result based on planned intentions and expectations, which explains the phenomenon of extremely early works sometimes being pretty next-level; yet executed without years of practice).

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A track came on randomly while listening and after a few seconds I thought "this sounds pretty good" and then I realized it was actually my track. That's good feeling.

I had a similar experience the other day. I was listening back to something I was writing and I got the shivers, which is how I know I like something.

to create music in a three dimensional environment that the listener can walk around in, with different parts of the mix fading in and out depending on what part of the room they're standing in.

I had a similar idea a while back (with an ecological tip - allowing spectators to alter species populations, rainfall, pollution etc and somehow translating that to an intuitive audio experience) and it seemed like audiomulch might be a good program to work with for something like that...but I didn't get very far. :P Hope you make that a reality some day, I'd love to check out an exhibit like that!

My dream would be to live off of being a creative either as a musician, video game maker or writer. I would definitely settle for working part time at a place with like minded people and then use the rest of the day making music. I'd also like to release a game sometime.

For the shorter term:

• Increase the amount of tunes I produce and stop obsessing over details
  • Start sending demos; stop thinking too much and just sending them off and maybe I'll hit the mark with some label
  • Connect with other musicians and meet up in real life

This thread has been an inspiring and humbling read since a lot of people have the same goals as me. A few of you guys have accomplished pretty cool things as well, I'm impressed!

"To crush my enemies,

To see them driven before me,

and to hear the lamentation of the women."

Seriously though, I would like to be in a position where I can make some coin off of my passion. Not big dollars,.but a few bucks to be able to buy new toys. I also would like to expand on the local scene in my area and meet up with like minded individuals for collaborations and performances.

One thing I considered ages ago, is that in electronic music forums, there's a lot of fucking talent. Not everyone is ultra well-rounded, but the point being-- if I wasn't so lazy and could workout the details, I'd startup a production group. Not like a collab musician group, but a company, whose members are part of the collective of producers, sound designers, etc. Because it's like, if you take the gross music moneyz earnings over the past 10 years of electronic music board talent and average it to each individual, that's like negative several hundred dowlaz/quid/x10pesos. But if we all worked together on commercial projects where we didn't have the luxury of nitpicking over the mixing on that one bit of that one track for several weeks straight, things would actually get done. And there'd be good money, and good jobs. And through review process and interactive critique sessions, the end products could be quite good. From this, we could have live nights to promote artists in the collective and promote local venues. The only problem is doing a shitload of demo work to actually get high level sound design and production jobs. Couple that with my design world connections, it could actually be a pretty solid all around production house.

If I ever get around to it, the whole shit should be fun. But fuck.

Guest Aces

It's an awesome idea. I'm sure somebody tried something like this before a on here, this was a few years back mind.

Archived