IGNORED

What are your long term music goals?

Lane Visitor

aspirations..

I like creating beautiful things.

have you already "reached" whatever your goal is / already happy where you are?

Never. I can always make something better.

my question is how do ppl pump out quality releases and albums so quickly?? i know i can be a hardcore ocd/perfectionist, but shit, ive released only 3 serious full albums (that i would even bother showing anyone) in my lifetime so far...and those were with bands/projects i was in - not solo stuff.

It's their full time job. It also helps to not be a perfectionist. I know a lot of people who create perfect things. I create imperfect things, release them, and move on to make more, better ones.

Have you heard that parable about the pottery course? It was a week or two long. The class was split in two. People in one group had to make a single pot. People in the other had to make a pot a day. The people in the latter got better quicker. As Baba Brinkman articulated so well, it's all about performance, feedback and revision.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To finally put out some EPs or LPs and sort my hundreds of ideas and tracks dusting on my harddrive. I'm no afx for sure but there is a hell load of good material and if I ever get down to proper mix and arrange it i could easily do some quality EPs. And I'm sure it would feel damn fine to clear some space in my head by doing that.

To finally work on my live-set, expand my little hardware set-up and rock some clubs with my material. I've been Djing a bit but honestly that's not exactly what I want though its much fun and these days remixing on the fly / doing creative stuff with 4 decks and loops and fx was never so easy.

But somehow over the years of mostly doing music for me in my room with little feedback and huge dreams... I lost my motivation I guess and the needed "delusions of grandeur" hehe but hopefully other times will come.

All joking aside, I just have this urge to create things.I get some idea in my head and I have to get it out. I don't even particularly care if anybody listens to it, but it's nice to hear other people's opinions. Also narcissism perhaps.

I don't want music to become a profession to me. I already have one hobby (programming) turn into a job. It has a tendency to suck the fun out of it. Audio programming (VSTs, etc) as a job could be okay though.

to create rhythm and patterns unheard of

to channel the voice of the eternal through my computer and android midi keyboard

to become and let go

Subconscious purge and headnoodle. Meditation on some level, getting lost in the flow. It's all personal reasons really. Positive feedback from others is definitely a plus, but not what drives me.

The one and only goal composers should have is to NEVER have goals. Just make music until you have enough to release. If people like it, that's cool, if they don't, that's cool. Make it happen for you and nobody else. Stop making plans. Stop dreaming about that perfect album and how people will react to it. There should be no goal outside of making songs that give you goosebumps.

Have you heard that parable about the pottery course? It was a week or two long. The class was split in two. People in one group had to make a single pot. People in the other had to make a pot a day. The people in the latter got better quicker.

and the dude making four or more pots a day will eventually be pottery mozart

Great thread. Its funny how my goals have changed over the last 3 years. First it was 'make some instrumental music' then it was 'upload it to the web and see if people like it' then 'try playing it live' then 'release an EP'. I can't believe I've actually stood up and played to a crowd of people - and enjoyed it!

I think in a way though, you have to be a bit wary of goals - I got into a bit of a funk last year because I was down on my music and myself because I didn't get the results I wanted on something. Now I make a conscious effort to keep that original goal in mind: make something beautiful and enjoy the process. That is all that matters, anything else is just a bonus really.

Have you heard that parable about the pottery course? It was a week or two long. The class was split in two. People in one group had to make a single pot. People in the other had to make a pot a day. The people in the latter got better quicker.

and the dude making four or more pots a day will eventually be pottery mozart

it's like this: the person in group A who made the finest pot would be the winner, the person in group B who made the most pots would be the winner. Group B produced the highest quality of pots.

As Baba Brinkman articulated so well, it's all about performance, feedback and revision.

Where can I read this?

It's from his album The Rap Guide to Evolution. Here's the page for the track in question, including the lyric.

I'd love to be able to make my living by making music. Music is super important to me. Basically it's the only thing I feel I have any talent in. I just have this huge need to create music. It's way more important than money or jobs or anything. So yeah, my long term music goals are to make more music. Doesn't matter if anyone even hears it, I just have to make it anyway... but it would be amazing to be able to live by doing this. I don't think I'm super-good at this. I just think I'm super passionate about this.

All joking aside, I just have this urge to create things.I get some idea in my head and I have to get it out. I don't even particularly care if anybody listens to it, but it's nice to hear other people's opinions. Also narcissism perhaps.

I don't want music to become a profession to me. I already have one hobby (programming) turn into a job. It has a tendency to suck the fun out of it. Audio programming (VSTs, etc) as a job could be okay though.

+1

The one and only goal composers should have is to NEVER have goals. Just make music until you have enough to release. If people like it, that's cool, if they don't, that's cool. Make it happen for you and nobody else. Stop making plans. Stop dreaming about that perfect album and how people will react to it. There should be no goal outside of making songs that give you goosebumps.

I dont know if i agree with not having goals, maybe dont have expectations more so but what ive found is once your making music that is good enough to be released it probably will be. I often get people sending me tracks saying what do you think, could it be signed and most of the time it sounds like they tried to make a 90's house track or detroit techno kinda vibe which i think is the problem with some people. Theres always a small market for the same genre kinda shit but people and more so labels wanna hear something new and unique is what my goal is based around.

After looking at this thread i went and looked back at the amount of music ive made in the past few years and ive exported around 110 tracks per year for the past 3 years, a few of them are new mixdowns or live takes but out of the 100 or so tracks ive had maybe 10-15 released and a few more are release worthy. Lots of the tracks were me just trying out new setups, new chains of fx, new modulation ideas which often take 2 or 3 variations to get it sounding proper.

totally dig where you're coming from Zoe. I think for me I've basically accepted the fact that "fame" in the modern music world is a complete illusion. That's totally not a factor in my motivation. I too just do it for that "zone" feeling you get when you find a strong line and ride it out to it's logical conclusion.

my goal is to have money enough from that to stop working in this lame restaurant,

i don't care about hype and fame either, i'm actually too shy in public to handle this

about to launch a really pop'ish project with my pal soon, it's supposed to make things happen.

crossed fingers

Long term goal ? Having fun, finishing as many tunes as I can, releasing my favorites of the bunch, playing some gigs again.

I went through my "15 minutes of (relative) fame" years ago, and that was just a massive mirage. Of course, I'd love to play Sonar again... but apart from some highlights, being a "pro" was often depressing.

I'm pretty relieved to be "amateur" again to be honest. Hopefully I'll make some money again with music, to buy synths, not to pay the rent.

Archived