IGNORED

Favorite Aphex Twin Covers

Hail Sagan

In addition to the Alarm Will Sound album which I'll listen to once in blue moon, the following videos are my favorite covers I've encountered on youtube. What are yours?

Xtal acoustic cover

Rushup I Bank 12 Drum Cover

i can't stand listening to alarm will sound's covers just cuz of them getting "richard" "yeah?" wrong on 4

Jesus. That's a bit extreme. I could see that one song irking you as a result but the whole album? lol. Can't lie though, I thought it was "That was good" "yeah" for years.

Guest bitroast

that tuss cover is pretty sick. i can't stand listening to alarm will sound's covers just cuz of them getting "richard" "yeah?" wrong on 4

the alarm will sound album never did a great deal for me. for all the hating on pitchfork we do around here, they summed it up pretty nicely recently (For me at least!!) during their recent afx ep review;

"The most striking thing about Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2 is how directly his musical concerns can be mapped on to another context. The grooves, the de-tuned melodies, the bridges, the way rhythms can lag a split second behind the beat—all are signatures of his electronic work and all are found here intact. A good point of comparison demonstrating how difficult this must be is Acoustica: Alarm Will Sound Performs Aphex Twin, an album from a decade ago that found the new music ensemble tackling some of James’ better-known compositions. The skeleton of tunes like "4" and "Meltphace 6" was there, but the sense of movement was way off. Here, we can hear the person and the sensibility behind the sounds."

any how, sorry for the tangent. just to keep it even more off topic, here's a cover of a completely different artist. i can't think of an aphex cover off the top of my head and i really like this vid because of how they take the original song, manage to keep it faithful with only 3 musicians + add their own flavour to it (ie. fucking amazing effort!!!)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd3FMa-KeY0

doh! i thought you wee talking about album artworks. in that case i'll go for beardyman's version of windowlicker while being attacked by bees

+1 for that Rushup drum rendition and the Coma Lilies, always liked that one. Never liked any of the guitar covers, it just strips it down to just the melody played on a really standard instrument. Loses all its magic for me.

Dutch ensemble Luna Park is pretty solid too. I remember when this was on TV for the first time, I just happened to flick the channel and saw people playing Drukqs tracks :) too bad about the electric guitar in the second one though

i thought this thread was about actual album covers lel

mine is still this, unbeatable

aphex-twin-windowlicker-cover.jpg

i dont like any musical covers at all. i even usually hate remixes

Funnily enough, I was watching that Rushup I Bank drum cover last night for the first time, and I was well impressed. Some proper skilful playing going on right there.

+1 on that, the Rhubarb/Flim/Alberto/Xtal guitar covers, and the Coma Lilies rendition. I always find myself going back to those every now and again, and I would've posted them myself had they not been done so already.

http://youtu.be/J7j0tKGFymQ

http://youtu.be/_JaYx_spDrA

http://youtu.be/au2E2SkMCKo

I've seen most of these so +1 on jynweythek (japan bonus track), coma lilies, Flim guitar, and AWS.

Never saw the dutch stuff( prep gwarlek was cool), Windowlicker jam was nice. Thought the Vordhosbn cover was gonna be really shitty at first, but then I had a change of heart

tumblr_m79hpcEGQW1rnf5n3o1_500.gif

A couple more for the hell of it. Judging by the view count you've probably already seen this but if not and you enjoyed Rushup I Bank 12 it's worth a look imo.

and Acrid Avid Jam Shred just because

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhDpLk5wetQ

whether or not pianist Ethan Iverson is literally using it, all of the Bad Plus's These Are The Vistas sounds as if it was recorded with the sustain pedal of the piano depressed. It's actually probably mostly the fault of producer Tchad Blake (Soul Coughing, Cibo Matto, Los Lobos), who applies his incredible treatments throughout the album, shining through especially in his work on David King's chaotic drums. Nonetheless, the Bad Plus sound as if they are in a cavernous space. The band rolls out the now requisite jazz covers of pop tunes, but it is their attitude (the very fact that they hired Blake to begin with, for example) that carries them the distance. The band themselves is quite compelling. Iverson is a complex piano player. His skills come to bear on the abstract epic "Silence Is The Question", which closes the album, as his spidery piano lines melt into chaotic statements, left hand meeting subtly with bassist Reid Anderson, right hand meeting crazily with King. What is impressive is that the trio manages to sound contemporary using only piano, bass, and drums, and without resorting to electronic gimmicks. Whether or not the band is reinventing jazz is irrelevant. These Are The Vistas is good, interesting music. -Jesse Jarnow

This is my first post here, but i figured theres a lot of ziggomatic enthusiasts here, so maybe you like my piano transcription :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpMbB3ZE3Rk

I agree on the acoustic guitar rhubarb-video, it's awesome.

how do i embedd videos btw ?

Edited by Scarb0

Nice one, man. I love that song.

As far as the video is concerned you can just copy and paste the link in your post as it is. It takes care of itself from there. If you hit 'more reply options' you should get a preview of your post to confirm whether or not things are working out for you.

This is my first post here, but i figured theres a lot of ziggomatic enthusiasts here, so maybe you like my piano transcription :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpMbB3ZE3Rk

I agree on the acoustic guitar rhubarb-video, it's awesome.

how do i embedd videos btw ?

You (may) need to remove the "s" from the "https"

And cheers everyone for some covers I hadn't seen. I'm personally a huge fan of cover songs. And Richard's music allows for some quite interesting ones with acoustic instrument renditions and whatnot.

Edited by Wander