IGNORED

WANTED: Scan of SAWII 12" insert

Guest jbartee

Guest jbartee

I recently realized a longtime dream of mine and picked up a copy of the original SAWII pressing —WARPLP21, the black vinyl edition. The copy is in great shape except for one thing: it's missing the 12" glossy insert.

I know the chances of coming across a loose copy of the insert are basically 0%, so I was wondering if someone would be willing to scan their copy for me. If I got a good hi-res scan I could take it to a professional printer and it would probably look almost as good as the original. I thought maybe I could just find a scan online but it's proving very difficult to track down.

I'd paypal $10 to anyone who would take the trouble. We could also put it up here just as a post or possibly in the downloads section to share with the community as well—I don't want to hoard it for myself since it would be an important archival document.

Note that I'm looking for the WARPLP21 version only: not the black and white version from WARPLP21LTD, and not the CD or cassette version.

Thanks in advance!

Guest jbartee

well, I'm actually not sure! I was under the impression that the brown vinyl edition was in black and white, and the black vinyl in color —but maybe that only applies to the gatefold artwork, not the insert?

Guest jbartee

I do own the 1972 repress, but it's just a blown up reproduction of the CD insert (seen in Herr Jan's pic above -note the white label on the vinyl and the "Chrysalis Songs" overlaid text on the insert).

Besides being a pretty crap print since it's sourced from the tiny CD artwork, it's also missing a lot of the text from the original LP insert (airbrushed out the WARP copyright and merch info).

So still not sure about the insert on the original WARPLP21... I've never actually seen a picture of it, only of the black and white LTD version.

don't mean to hijack your thread but i've been looking for some hi-res scans of the photographs accompanying each track for quite a while... the best i've found were some tiny scans of the cassette version. if anyone knows where i could find these i'd be grateful.

Guest jbartee

don't mean to hijack your thread but i've been looking for some hi-res scans of the photographs accompanying each track for quite a while... the best i've found were some tiny scans of the cassette version. if anyone knows where i could find these i'd be grateful.

Which versions are you after? The LP and CD have very different images in some cases. If you want the LP images I could try to scan them this weekend.

I think in general the online SAWII documentation is pretty poor, with lots of important stuff missing. I'd love to put something more complete together one of these days.

Which versions are you after? The LP and CD have very different images in some cases. If you want the LP images I could try to scan them this weekend.

I think in general the online SAWII documentation is pretty poor, with lots of important stuff missing. I'd love to put something more complete together one of these days.

the LP versions would be the best cuz they include stone in focus. it would be so incredibly awesome of you if you could scan them, but i wouldn't want to make you risk potentially damaging your lovely record sleeve. up to you!

Would be greatly appreciated :biggrin:

the LP versions would be the best cuz they include stone in focus. it would be so incredibly awesome of you if you could scan them, but i wouldn't want to make you risk potentially damaging your lovely record sleeve. up to you!

The Rough Trade CD pressing also had an extra track from the vinyl.

Guest jbartee

The Rough Trade CD pressing also had an extra track from the vinyl.

Interesting! wasn't aware of this pressing. Looks like it's identical to the original WARPCD21? (i.e., it has Hankie but not Stone in Focus?)

Guest jbartee

Just wanted to let you guys know I'm working on this... the gatefold is 24" across so wouldn't fit in my scanner, what I ended up doing was just taking a bunch of hi-res photos. I'm currently cropping / editing / organizing.

Also, anyone who has the 12" insert and access to a scanner: there's still $10 on the table, just sitting there. :emotawesomepm9:

Guest jbartee

Okay, here it is! 270 megabytes of hi-res SAWII goodness:

https://mega.co.nz/#!9o0wXCxQ!5JZVqAbZd8tsjIkiw9EP4f5hCFo7G_RGTt9NZ5bgRWs

It includes the full gatefold, front and back covers, LP stickers, as well as individually macro-photographed shots of the individual track pictures. Everything has been color corrected and several of the images retouched to eliminate dust, scratches, and scuffs. Keep in mind though that the record is over 20 years old, so there's only so much I could do.

Literally the only thing we're missing now is the 12" glossy insert. If someone could scan or photograph it we'd have a complete WARPLP21 archive.

I'll be monitoring this thread for a while so let me know if there's anything wrong with the download etc.

Guest jbartee

I updated the front cover scan -there was slight green cast to it before, which is corrected to be more neutral now.

Here's the front cover by itself:

https://mega.co.nz/#!kgkBFLhY!9F8UIGFCehVU57l14Nc6GI7Y_mYKRAxgHk4o0kRRGeQ

And here's a new version of the full archive, including the updated cover:

https://mega.co.nz/#!Z0sRDTAC!0A7DkghvaHe7z2SDd1Jc8VeSWgImgjEf0WX4CzFc1S0

Thanks jbartee, downloading now! To return the favor, maybe it is of some worth:

http://we.tl/PAwhg0uP0p

High-res (170MB) .pdf of the artwork (frontcover) of SAWII in poster format, ready-to-go for a professional print. Someone on watmm uploaded it years ago (still want to thank him whoever it was!) and I received it as a gift a few months ago, looks very sweet printed in A0 :)!

Guest jbartee

Thanks jbartee, downloading now! To return the favor, maybe it is of some worth:

High-res (170MB) .pdf of the artwork (frontcover) of SAWII in poster format, ready-to-go for a professional print. Someone on watmm uploaded it years ago (still want to thank him whoever it was!) and I received it as a gift a few months ago, looks very sweet printed in A0 :)!

Wow thanks, this is awesome!! Do you know anything about the poster's origin? Was it part of WARP's official marketing campaign?

Wow thanks, this is awesome!! Do you know anything about the poster's origin? Was it part of WARP's official marketing campaign?

Don't think so, no. It was(/is?) a regular poster on here who I think was a graphic designer and scanned a promotional poster from back in the day (really not sure about that though). Only thing is that the artwork is mirrored, but w/e.

Guest jbartee

Don't think so, no. It was(/is?) a regular poster on here who I think was a graphic designer and scanned a promotional poster from back in the day (really not sure about that though). Only thing is that the artwork is mirrored, but w/e.

Interesting. Whoever it was must have had access to some original assets at least, because the artwork is super hires / pristine.

Interesting. Whoever it was must have had access to some original assets at least, because the artwork is super hires / pristine.

I'm still knocking about, it was an official poster I scanned high res.

There's a right handy tool in photoshop called photomerge which does most of the hard work if you're patching scans together.

Archived