IGNORED

Low pass filters

TRiP

Hey all,

Looking into possibly getting a nice hardware low pass filter.

Been looking at the Moog Moogerfooger MF-101, but a tad' pricey...also the Waldorf 2-Pole, but that seems even more

I also realised I could just use the filter on my Monotribe and potentially get the same effect i'm looking for, however the Env mod stuff on the MF101 looks nearly too tasty to pass off!?

any suggestions?

I know you said hardware, but do your self a favor and try the demo of the Cytomic's "The Drop" filter plugin. It is the most convincing hardware emulation of any type I've ever heard. It has several filter types that were copied from the actual hardware, and a ton of modulation.

That said, the Electrix Filter Queen is a fantastic little LPF if you can find one and it's stereo.

I know you said hardware, but do your self a favor and try the demo of the Cytomic's "The Drop" filter plugin. It is the most convincing hardware emulation of any type I've ever heard. It has several filter types that were copied from the actual hardware, and a ton of modulation.

That said, the Electrix Filter Queen is a fantastic little LPF if you can find one and it's stereo.

Cheers for the suggestion, but yep would prefer to keep it in the hardware game, more-so so it can be twiddled with our live set up

I'll keep an eye out for the Filter queen, also came about the Filter factory, good to know

The MF101 is great stuff. It's kinda worth it.

I'm starting to lean towards the Waldorf 2-pole now...just seems it has more features and does pretty much what the mf-101 does?

Standalone hardware filters are quite rare or very expensive - shit like the Ebb und Flutt, Shermans (the Filterbank & Rodec) and the Jomox Moonwind are some others but way more expensive - bloody lovely tho. The ones you have already listed are the budget options.

Cheap synths are other potential sources - Microbrute, Mopho etc and you get a free synth too :)

just insert bread in your ears

HA

Sweet! Was considering Fabfilter's Volcano but gonna get The Drop now instead. Cheers for drawing my attention to that. :)

The MF101 is great stuff. It's kinda worth it.

I'm starting to lean towards the Waldorf 2-pole now...just seems it has more features and does pretty much what the mf-101 does?

To be fair, I haven't heard or played with the Waldorf, but the MF comes very very close to the original Moog 904A in terms of sound and behaviour. If you want *that* creamy, buttery (woo audiophile BS terminology) sound of the Moog ladder, go for the MF101.

Guest Chesney

You can get schematics and build Stiener Parker LPF/HPF filters easily enough if you're that way inclined.

Other than that, get a nice synth with Ext in socket.

I use my synths filters all the time on various stuff, Even send stereo signals through two different synth filters for odd effects.

Guest skibby

You can get schematics and build Stiener Parker LPF/HPF filters easily enough if you're that way inclined.

Other than that, get a nice synth with Ext in socket.

I use my synths filters all the time on various stuff, Even send stereo signals through two different synth filters for odd effects.

i find that getting the components is the hard part, find it difficult to wrap my head around what online electrical component place to shop at, and the super high shipping and handling costs, etc. the time and energy spent, might as well buy one already made.

i find that getting the components is the hard part, find it difficult to wrap my head around what online electrical component place to shop at, and the super high shipping and handling costs, etc. the time and energy spent, might as well buy one already made.

Yeah, the learning curve and initial investment is daunting, but acquiring this know-how really pays off after a while. Particularly if you already have some analog equipment that might need a repair sometime down the road. And being able to build pretty much whatever you need/want is a great feeling.

Other than that I can vouch for the Moogerfooger filter, it sounds lovely.

i dont know if they fixed this with a sofware update recently but i remember about the monotribe that you can only pass external audio through the filter if youre also triggering the oscillator, which is a real shame because the filter on that thing is deece. if you turn the osc down youre also turning down the external audio.

Guest skibby

Yeah, the learning curve and initial investment is daunting, but acquiring this know-how really pays off after a while. Particularly if you already have some analog equipment that might need a repair sometime down the road. And being able to build pretty much whatever you need/want is a great feeling.

Other than that I can vouch for the Moogerfooger filter, it sounds lovely.

im ok with electronics, just buying the components is extremely difficult for me cause it seems like no one place has all the parts, theyre more expensive than they need to be, etc. the feng shui has been bad for me.

Guest Chesney

Yeah, I didn't build mine but would have liked to but it was easier to get it already done, plus it has an incorporated delay inside so it's lovely and quirky.

Archived