IGNORED

what have you learned from this deluge of richard's music?

Guest yikes

While mentally reviewing this massive lot of greatness while i am removed from it's immediacy several thoughts spring to mind:

1.the amount of integral musical personality and indelible "stamp" is retained thru all periods of his work and very little of it seems "dated"

2.as a producer...to me it reinforces the fact that it's the person and not the gear

3.any random set of hardware can make great tracks in the right hands

4.the most important gear a producer has is their imagination and ears- i realize this is obvious but.......it is a good reminder.

5.I was discussing this batch of tracks with a long time best friend and his take on it was that richard does not "try" he just "does"..... meaning he naturally has a talent for making great stuff with not much forethought,hence the tag "genius" and "the electronica version of the beatles" and "modern Mozart" as cliche as they are these are indeed apt descriptions.

6.he was most likely the kid at school who always aced his exams without studying and became bored very quickly with institutional curriculum and their "one size fits all" approach to education.

what did you learn?

5.I was discussing this batch of tracks with a long time best friend and his take on it was that richard does not "try" he just "does"..... meaning he naturally has a talent for making great stuff with not much forethought,hence the tag "genius" and "the electronica version of the beatles" and "modern Mozart" as cliche as they are these are indeed apt descriptions.

it's very debatable. It's both ways. You need to have talent AND practice alot. Richard is more "not pushing himself to make music", he is just passionate and loves to do it. He can't imagine himself not doing it. But he practised like a lot. Very lot. And he were in the right place in the right time. Beatles practiced and played nearly 10.000 hours before becoming famous, it's hard work!!! They were ordinary band and couldnt play guitars, or sing properly, or create super hits at the very beginning.

totally agree on other points and barely can add anything

- to become famous, personality is much more important then quality

- you need to listen to almost every major artist/genre/style/daw/library, know the roots and history, understand why things went that way or another, or you will make shit thats been done better 10000 times before you (basically, get time to become well educated) if you really want to be original

- stop copying

- dont push the track or overpolish it, let it flow naturally and be little raw

- never make perfect tracks, they are boring

- you need to eat alot of acid :cat:

He also dabbled in lots of different styles, according to these tracks. I also think it's better to create more, at least at first as Richard did, than to dwell on projects for too long. He only seems to dwell on tracks that are getting released, otherwise (according to the 155 tracks he's given us here) his production isn't as 'anal'

1- There has always been a constant stream with no regard for releases until later.

2- The dump paints a more human picture of the analord. having fun, being silly, exploring, re-exploring.

2a - Sam's Car, Martin's car and that recent quote about playing acid in cars and beaming it to a nearby one on the FM - all paint a picture of a cool little scene of friends making and trading tracks.

3- put all ideas down in someway.

If you want to get even passable at producing, make a shitload of tracks. Than make more.

This. Any idea you have, try and express it. I've noticed that loads of the tracks in that dump contain the embryos of ideas that went into other tracks, and also skewed versions of the same.

Practice makes perfect, and makes you more familiar with your equipment and your own sound.

Also, just have fun with your ideas, don't chase perfection, mastery only comes with time.

For me, some of the tracks that seemed boring to start with became the most exciting ones - so maybe something about being able to notice what's good about a sound when it may not be obvious straight away?

Also what was said earlier about not striving for perfection - perfection is kind of an empty goal, the interesting thing about a lot of the tracks is where they are coming from, or the vibe they have, not how correctly they are (not) done

But the thing about Aphex is he sometimes has a knack for writing things that are simple but very effective - how he does that I'm not sure, maybe he doesn't know either! Maybe being open minded about the possibility that more basic sequences or sounds can work, but also not being caught on the notion that that is the only way to do it

Maybe it is ultimately to do with idea that the emotion is the important thing

For me, some of the tracks that seemed boring to start with became the most exciting ones - so maybe something about being able to notice what's good about a sound when it may not be obvious straight away?

Also what was said earlier about not striving for perfection - perfection is kind of an empty goal, the interesting thing about a lot of the tracks is where they are coming from, or the vibe they have, not how correctly they are (not) done

But the thing about Aphex is he sometimes has a knack for writing things that are simple but very effective - how he does that I'm not sure, maybe he doesn't know either! Maybe being open minded about the possibility that more basic sequences or sounds can work, but also not being caught on the notion that that is the only way to do it

Maybe it is ultimately to do with idea that the emotion is the important thing

Yeah there's a catchy aspect to everything. The melody, the drum beats. The timbre of the sounds. All of his good tracks don't waste space, everything's accented just right, the list goes on and on.

Yeah there's a catchy aspect to everything. The melody, the drum beats. The timbre of the sounds. All of his good tracks don't waste space, everything's accented just right, the list goes on and on.

Yeah his attention to timbre especially is almost always there I think isn't it - and is used musically (in some way which is evocative or emotional)

what have you learned from this deluge of richard's music?

that I am not gay

sorry to hear that

If you want to get even passable at producing, make a shitload of tracks. Than make more.

pretty much this. easy to beat myself up over the notion you'll never come close to his work, but he's basically been making music non-stop since he was a kid. just keep playing and practising and experimenting throughout your life.

- you need to eat alot of acid :cat:

and that :cat:

1- There has always been a constant stream with no regard for releases until later.

2- The dump paints a more human picture of the analord. having fun, being silly, exploring, re-exploring.

2a - Sam's Car, Martin's car and that recent quote about playing acid in cars and beaming it to a nearby one on the FM - all paint a picture of a cool little scene of friends making and trading tracks.

3- put all ideas down in someway.

If the SC dumps have taught me anything it's that not everything the man touches immediately turns into gold. It's actually been a very sobering experience for me (in a good way) in regards to the image I had of Aphex Twin. Some of the tracks are great, a couple of them amazing, but to me a the rest of them are just passable. But what they lack in 'quality' to me, they make up for in the actual joy you can read into pretty much every single track. They're not all worthy off a proper release. They are doodles and they express so much fun, exploration and experimentation. :music:

Archived