IGNORED

Ocarina of Funk

Brisbot

came in expecting a zelda techno remix & this is way cooler than what i had in mind

curious what your process was here. Did you record a ton of live improvisations & arrange them into a layered track later, or did you have a clear vision of what you wanted from the outset?

I probably shouldn't be naming things similar to other things, but I couldn't help myself in this case :). I named it like that because (besides the fact that I used Ocarina Samples) there's this one scene in Ocarina of Time where Zelda sings with you while you play the ocarina, but at one point she sings REALLY low and it sounds very unnatural, which I ended up doing in the track.

You might want to ask about anything I did specifically. This whole track was a sample fest, I used a sampler (Kontakt) for some things, and pulled tons from my sample library. I had a clear vision when I started getting a groove going for the track. I think I layered down the piano first, the bassline chords, then the Ocarina on top, then started adding everything else as the groove came into place. Had drums at one point, realized that it needed bongos instead. Fun stuff :)

I probably shouldn't be naming things similar to other things, but I couldn't help myself in this case :).

my sig was essentially the same thought process

but yeah with regards to your sample library, do you have that stuff all arranged by tempo/scale/chords/etc, or just whatever feels right? Because I tend to do the latter myself, and a lotta times it gets daunting when you have an hour of totally disorganized guitar recordings, but at the same time i feel that that's what leads to a lot of the spontaneous decisions & intuitive track building, when you're just kinda jamming things together to see what sticks

i dunno, i like comparing my process to other people's & your track was kinda giving me that organic constructicon vibe

To be honest, my sample library is a bit of a mess. A few things aren't even really labelled because they'd require creative descriptions and are stuck in a generic folder like: "delayed samples". Most things are labelled though, they're spread around pretty wildly and I usually have to use the search function to find something. Thankfully everythings alphabetical. I don't worry about tempo because that can be changed, and I tend to use one shots over loops. I wish I could sort everything by scale but that would take forever so I just listen for the notes which is better for the ears and whatnot. It's pretty obvious when something's in key at this point, and I've still been getting better at it.

I would probably pay someone to organize all this crap for me.

Archived