IGNORED

First human head transplant could happen in two years

YEK

...wat?

I never expected to get this kind of news in my lifetime.. O.o. Much less in two years. I have a friend who passed away a few years ago due to a failed heart transplant, but a head transplant is another dimension of problems...

I'm having trouble figuring out what would have to happen. Like would the donar have to be dead or what?... just what in general.

so when Paris Hilton dies in a drugged out car crash (providing it's not mangled) I can transfer my head onto her body and play with myself all day long?

Will there be body auctions where fit bodies are auctioned to be people? =/ Like even if I was disabled I probably wouldn't want my head re-attached to a 600lb body..

I'm having trouble figuring out what would have to happen. Like would the donar have to be dead or what?... just what in general.

This. Like how do they decide who gets what body?

so when Paris Hilton dies in a drugged out car crash (providing it's not mangled) I can transfer my head onto her body and play with myself all day long?

I know you were joking, but this brings up an interesting question... What would happen if you were to take the brain of someone who lived all their lives as a male, then switched it onto a female body? Would the different biochemistry now effect the mind differently in a tangible way? Would the mind adapt and become more like the norms for what we consider feminine?... Kinda crazy to sit and speculate on, same with the reversed scenario.

I know you were joking, but this brings up an interesting question... What would happen if you were to take the brain of someone who lived all their lives as a male, then switched it onto a female body? Would the different biochemistry now effect the mind differently in a tangible way? Would the mind adapt and become more like the norms for what we consider feminine?... Kinda crazy to sit and speculate on, same with the reversed scenario.

That was on the back of my mind, for sure.

Isn't the uh.. "wiring" for sexual organs and all of the inherent reactions in the brain extremely complex? I really cannot see in any way this "head transplant" actually being successful. There a million million different elements to consider..

The comic 'Demon' by Jason Shiga speculates on a lot of the same thoughts, how much is mental and how much is physical in an athlete, skilled tradesperson etc.

tldr I need one of these

Yeah, seems like both "participants" would have to be alive at the time of donation/reception.

lol

AFAIK this is usually the case with donations, the donor is brain-dead but the rest of his body is alive at the time of organ harvesting.

Archived