IGNORED

Syro's 'Various Plugins'

mda piano I reckon

cheers for that. was fully expecting a sarky response and you delivered. :)

One of the reverbs is a plugin, can't remember the name though. He used it on Xmas.

i was under the impression that all the listed gear is hardware and the software is under 'plugins, various'...

Here's the Xmas list, if that helps jog your memory:

XMAS_EVET10 (thanaton3 mix) - Basement & Lodge
AKG Contact Mics
Allen Organ Spring Reverb
ARP 2500
Bode Vocoder
Chandler Delay Black
Chandler Zoner Limiter
EML 101. Modded
EMS 2000 Vocoder
EMT 140 Plate/Stereo/Tube
EMT 240 Gold Foil
EMT 258 x4 Filters
Eventide DSP4000
Fulltone Tape Echo
HAT Mechanical Drums
JH Tau Phaser
Korg PS3300 x3
Lexicon 480L
Lynx Aurora 16
Marion PROSynth x2
Meinl Water UDU
Midimoogs x2
Moog Memory Lintronics
Mum&Dad Vocals
Neotek Elite 64 Channel Custom
Oberheim OBX, racked
Oberheim Modular SEMs, racked
Pearl Syncussion, racked/midi/mod x4
Plugins, various
Roland D550
Roland MKS70
Roland R8/R8M
Sci Prophet VS
Sci Prophet5, racked/keyboard
Sound Devices 722
SPL TD4
SSL X desk
Studio Electronics Code8 Full
Synton Syntovox 221 x2
TC1210
Tongue Drums
Valley People Gain Brains
Valley People Kepex x10
Wildlife
Yamaha EX42
Yamaha FS1R
Zither AFX-scale

Cheers

probably zebra2

Can't tell if you're taking the piss but seems unlikely. What makes you think that?

I initially posed the question in the hope of discovering some gnarly effects plugins to achieve some interesting sonic fuckery with, as I figure AFX might use some obscure, avant garde plugs that I don't know about.

Ready and waiting for someone to say dblue glitch :)

probably zebra2

Can't tell if you're taking the piss but seems unlikely. What makes you think that?

I initially posed the question in the hope of discovering some gnarly effects plugins to achieve some interesting sonic fuckery with, as I figure AFX might use some obscure, avant garde plugs that I don't know about.

iirc a lot of the songs which have plugins listed don't have hardware samplers or drum machines listed so it may be he was using battery or some other sampling plugin for some of the older tracks.

in the syrobonkers itvw he mentioned the DMG Equilibrium eq plugin incorporated some features he asked for, so he might be using that.

Cheers for that. I'm actually in the market for an EQ and currently weighing up my options so that's useful to know. DMG Equilibrium looks good and now torn between that, FabFilter's Pro-Q 2 and Cytomic's The Drop.

Guest yikes

as epic as the track is

it's hard to imagine how the fuck he crammed all of that gear into one tune

and then you reflect on the soundcloud dump when he had no gear.......

probably zebra2

He probably used a lot of old plugins in unorthodox ways, extreme settings etc. Either that or plugins just referred to various EQ/mixing plugins. I wouldn't imagine he'd use anything too new and fancy, but hey you never know!

He probably used a lot of old plugins in unorthodox ways, extreme settings etc. Either that or plugins just referred to various EQ/mixing plugins. I wouldn't imagine he'd use anything too new and fancy, but hey you never know!

Yea, you're prob right. Definitely pays to fuck about with extreme settings...achieve way more interesting results that way. Only ever made tunes on computers so I'm not aware what can't be accomplished by hardware alone (if anything). Should prob have just asked what cool/experimental/mental plugins peeps here enjoy using as that's what I'm on the hunt for really...the absence of named plugs on the Syro gear list has left me intrigued.

I read ages ago that he purchased a license for a plugin called 'Liveslice'

You're right.

Liveslice dev in '07:

"Honestly he did buy a license like anyone else :-) I found out when a user sent me a scan of the article, I hadn't even noticed the invoice that said "Richard James", but it's there all right.

Think about it: with such a low price tag, why would he bother contacting me and asking for a free license?
I'm just thrilled he likes my product so much he promotes it for free. If you're listening in: Thanks Richard :-)
What thrills me the most though, is that I actually designed LiveSlice with afx' music in mind - His music happens to be the first electronica I really enjoyed (after wasting some years listening to german "acid house"). I still admire how he managed to produce such complex stuff on whatever equipment he had back in those days, I guess that would be atari and samplers, and it warms my achy breaky heart in these cold winter months to think about how I might have made his life a little easier with my coding skills :-)"

Live Slice is probably one of the best plugins I've ever used. It's so good for completely fucking a sample/loop beyond recognition. It's better for emulating Autechre than Aphex though :D

Live Slice is probably one of the best plugins I've ever used. It's so good for completely fucking a sample/loop beyond recognition. It's better for emulating Autechre than Aphex though :D

Live Slice sounds fun and checking out. Not interested in emulation tho can see how it might come across that way...just feeling inspired and on a voyage of education/creative discovery. if only there was a tool to stop me from getting distracted so I can actually finish some stuff! :wacko:

Liveslice is very inspiring. You'll probably actually waste a lot of time playing with it and not really making any music. That's alright though because the results are usually really good:

The above was created entirely from a sample of the first four notes of this song:

Reaktor is well worth looking into.

Cheers...it's on my (ever-increasing) list! Seems like a pretty steep learning curve tho, yea?

Only if you want to make your own stuff. Chances are though is that it's probably already been made and you just load it up inside Reaktor.

The user library is huge so you will have a ton of shit to play with way before you need to learn all the heavy stuff.

Cool...had a play around with Bidule and enjoyed that but didn't have the time to commit to working my head around it. Noodling with the Reaktor library is prob more within my technical knowhow :)

Yeah there is a lot of really amazing stuff in the Reaktor user library. There's a super accurate EMS Synthi AKS emulation that I've used in a few tracks and managed to fool a bandmate into thinking it was his own actual AKS that I recorded (I borrowed it for a while but never actually risked taking it out and using it).

fuck...it's £340! :sad: my pocket money won't stretch anywhere near that far for a good few months. def one for the back burner

can any of you learned types recommend any sweet FX (besides Liveslice).

The two I'm really enjoying at the moment are Fabfilter's Saturn and Permut8 by Sonic Charge. So. much. fun!

Archived