IGNORED

WATMM Writers Thread

Bechuga

Apparently, being a writer was voted the most coveted job in a YouGov poll. Is it the possibility of JK Rowling / EL James money perhaps? And it's hard not to notice that more people than ever before are writing and self-publishing in the hopes of becoming the next James Patterson. Who wouldn't want to be that? 96 novels published and all of them written by other people...living the dream, that man. Living the dream.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/feb/17/author-uk-dream-job

I've noticed a few other people mention they're writing / trying to write / thinking about writing stories of varying lengths, so why not a thread for that? If you have any work to post or wish to share, that's cool--a novel wot I dun is in my signature for kindle purchasing, buy/read/love/thankyou--but otherwise this thread can be a place to muse on the difficulties of getting published / goals with your work / mistakes to make & avoid / etcetera. Who knows: maybe this thread will contain a future Nobel Literature laureate?

If anyone is super famous and represented by a top tier agency, please ask them to add me to their books, my name is short so it will not take up much space.

trumbo.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes! Great thread!

And well, first of all, I'll try to write correctly here, lel. Usually I'm quite lazy writing correctly on the internet. Fukc.

And, uh, yeah, I'm actually trying to write three short stories in the fantasy/horror genre, for a contest. Any tips?

Dear god my spelling is atrocious most of the time, especially when in CHATMM or on skype. (side note: I wonder if Thomas Pynchon has ever typed 'LOL'?)

As for a tip, all I can say is: write one at a time, after another. Once done, go back and edit the first, rereading from beginning to end, correcting / deleting as necessary until all that is left is a whole you like, without cringing at the resulting text. Do that for the rest and you should have three tidy stories. Why three, though? Trying to bag 1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes simultaneously?

I'm in process of writing some short stories. It's PKD'esque stuff, but it's all in Finnish and still in early stages.

I've usually had pretty good grades from creative writing classes or courses but I've never made anything public so far and it's been a few years since I've written anything non-technical so I'm trying to get back into the groove. I've noticed technical writing has made my writing very terse, so I'm trying to get more wordy and descriptive now.

Dear god my spelling is atrocious most of the time, especially when in CHATMM or on skype. (side note: I wonder if Thomas Pynchon has ever typed 'LOL'?)

As for a tip, all I can say is: write one at a time, after another. Once done, go back and edit the first, rereading from beginning to end, correcting / deleting as necessary until all that is left is a whole you like, without cringing at the resulting text. Do that for the rest and you should have three tidy stories. Why three, though? Trying to bag 1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes simultaneously?

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

And 3 because those are the maxmimum entries you can submit to this http://www.premioamparodavila.com/

I actually think I have a chance. People also tend to say to me that I write good. And I write because I like to, really, not trying to be pretentious or some shit. I'm proving to myself how far I can go!

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

And 3 because those are the maxmimum entries you can submit to this http://www.premioamparodavila.com/

I actually think I have a chance. People also tend to say to me that I write good. And I write because I like to, really, not trying to be pretentious or some shit. I'm proving to myself how far I can go!

Hope you win!

Nice thread here yeah :)

I wrote plenty of "dark" stuff when I was way younger, published it on an amateur writing website but then my parents stumbled upon it and it was the end of that era - it really blocked me when I tried to write something new to know that they were aware of it and about to read it...

Yet I'm willing to go back to work and I want to try to write a novel, again, after years of "hiatus".
Anybody taking part in Camp NaNoWriMo in April ? We could do a WATMM writing group, that would be fun !!!

I have plans to write children's books, but so far i haven't written anything. Just have some ideas about a fictional place where slightly magical stuff happens. It usually boulders through my mind when I go out jogging, but I haven't made anything concrete.

Any tips on starting? I've read plenty of stories but written, not so much.

Guest kymppinetti

Nice idea for a thread. :) About a year ago, I was starting to write visual novel. Yes, those novel like games. I thought I had a good idea. It was interesting: to compine programing and novel writing. It was also kind a hard, as I remember back then I haven't even decide how the story is going to end(s). I wonder if I'll ever go back to it.

About the story: protagonist is a rich man, just had a car accient, suffering memory loss. Had a weird illnes after the crash: saying everything what he thinks. Almost everybody is using him, they want money from him. There going to be a nice girl, if you would choose the right route in the game (good ending).

It's a psychological story, tragicomic and sad.

Yesterday I just discovered the "Snowflake Method" which is perfectly explained on that website : http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/articles/snowflake-method/

You start by summing your story up and then expanding it step by step - never tried working that way but that might help !

Kymppinetti : that sounds fun ! So you're in charge of the visuals and the coding as well ? must be quite the task !

Guest kymppinetti

Yep, I'm doing it alone. If I ever will be doing it. But see this: http://www.renpy.org/

Oh not the art. One of my friend was going to character portraits. And the backround, I was thinking to editing some photos. Just to make them cartoony enough. This is really common in visual novels.

Yep, I'm doing it alone. If I ever will be doing it. But see this: http://www.renpy.org/

Oh not the art. One of my friend was going to character portraits. And the backround, I was thinking to editing some photos. Just to make them cartoony enough. This is really common in visual novels.

renpy, eh. interesting! exactly what I was looking for!

I wrote plenty of "dark" stuff when I was way younger, published it on an amateur writing website but then my parents stumbled upon it and it was the end of that era - it really blocked me when I tried to write something new to know that they were aware of it and about to read it...

Yet I'm willing to go back to work and I want to try to write a novel, again, after years of "hiatus".

Anybody taking part in Camp NaNoWriMo in April ? We could do a WATMM writing group, that would be fun !!!

i don't get that camp nanowrimo thing.

Yesterday I just discovered the "Snowflake Method" which is perfectly explained on that website : http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/articles/snowflake-method/

You start by summing your story up and then expanding it step by step - never tried working that way but that might help !

Kymppinetti : that sounds fun ! So you're in charge of the visuals and the coding as well ? must be quite the task !

links broken for me

I like the idea of the NaNoWriMo but a camp sounds really distracting to me haha. Plus I doubt I could get the time off work to go, April being booked in advance for holidays from other folks. Hope others go, though!

And I feel you about the hiatus: I couldn't write a novel for about ten years. Only recently (2012 I think) did I overcome that. :nacmat:

I have plans to write children's books, but so far i haven't written anything. Just have some ideas about a fictional place where slightly magical stuff happens. It usually boulders through my mind when I go out jogging, but I haven't made anything concrete.

The advice I see most often and agree with is to just start somewhere--beginning, the middle, the end or the part you find the most interesting--and write, don't fuss too much on the first draft. Once you've done the first draft, go back over and rewrite, edit, etc. Maybe write a list of bullet points detailing the plot first and then write using those as your signposts.

The snowflake method seems to be in line with that process, definitely give it a try and modify it to suit your needs. But as long as you've got an idea you like, that's a great start.

Nice idea for a thread. :) About a year ago, I was starting to write visual novel. Yes, those novel like games. I thought I had a good idea. It was interesting: to compine programing and novel writing. It was also kind a hard, as I remember back then I haven't even decide how the story is going to end(s). I wonder if I'll ever go back to it.

About the story: protagonist is a rich man, just had a car accient, suffering memory loss. Had a weird illnes after the crash: saying everything what he thinks. Almost everybody is using him, they want money from him. There going to be a nice girl, if you would choose the right route in the game (good ending).

It's a psychological story, tragicomic and sad.

I have thought about doing a game like that too--visual novel I mean--but when I start to think about all those branching choices and winding routes you would need to right, my brain starts to fizzle. Sounds like it would be fun and hell all in one.

If you're still thinking about it as a good idea, chances are it's something you should pursue. Those games do pretty well on Steam nowadays!

Yeah the link was broken when I tried it earlier as well but seems to work now...

Renpy looks lovely ! good luck with your project !!!

And @logakght : you don't know what NaNoWriMo is at all or you just don't see the point in the "Camp Nano" edition ? I missed the "real" nano last november so that's my only chance to kinda force myself into writing stuff I guess !

Yeah the link was broken when I tried it earlier as well but seems to work now...

And @logakght : you don't know what NaNoWriMo is at all or you just don't see the point in the "Camp Nano" edition ? I missed the "real" nano last november so that's my only chance to kinda force myself into writing stuff I guess !

it's the very first time I see it. what's about it?

it's the very first time I see it. what's about it?

It stands for NAtional NOvel WRIting MOnth, which is descriptive of what it is: "

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to creative writing. On November 1, participants begin working towards the goal of writing a 50,000-word novel by 11:59 PM on November 30.

Valuing enthusiasm, determination, and a deadline, NaNoWriMo is for anyone who has ever thought fleetingly about writing a novel."

It's essentially a way of encouraging yourself into finishing something, whatever that may be, which is emphasized much strongly than spending hours crafting a sentence or research. Write it and get it out! A bunch of people have ended up published due to this, and even a movie happened (Water for Elephants) due to NaNoWriMo. Quite a lot of people do it now, regardless of whether you're in America or not.

http://nanowrimo.org/

There are plenty of crazy guys during NaNo - going out together to spend nights writing or organizing "word wars" over IRC channels but the community is amazing, everybody is very helpful. And the Camp NaNo are additional sessions in April and July where you find the same guys but working towards various goals (ie. not only reaching 50k words).

You might want to check their forums, they are like mines of inspiration and motivation !

I've had an 11 year block now.

Fuck it though, time to stop sitting on my ass and start... sitting on my ass, uh, writing?

I've had an 11 year block now.

Fuck it though, time to stop sitting on my ass and start... sitting on my ass, uh, writing?

You could always get a standing desk...

I'm with you on the block though, wanted to write for years but was unable to get past a few pages. You'll get through it eventually, even after that long. I found reading more diverse novelists than what I was used to opened me up to other styles than the one I was trying to write in, and was finally able to work in earnest on stories. In my case, it was Vonnegut that helped me, along with Yasutaka Tsutsui that opened up my eyes to a simpler way of working.

Cool! I usually write here with the least amount of thought/correction. Which usually leads me to writing in text slang. except even worse lol.

I have two scripts that are basically finished, its just that the endings are weak and the dialogue is weak. I have three book sized projects concerning years of my life 1999, 2005 and 2006 (about 200 pages each when bound). I have other years written out in detail but those are the only three that i've spent a lot of time on to get the flow going and the dialogue right (also interviewed people). Writing that stuff has been very therapeutic in that I finally feel like im over (almost) everything from my past.

I can't write properly when im stoned. and since it's been 12 degrees for like 2 months straight in NYC... ive been high every day since November and that was four months ago...

i'm an artist... i'm steinvord (but don't believe me, i care because you do) & i'm also a writer... especially poems & songs... but i also write novels...

Hi Rich. Any Analord binders left over?

Anything published? You should post it up if so.

Cool! I usually write here with the least amount of thought/correction. Which usually leads me to writing in text slang. except even worse lol.

I have two scripts that are basically finished, its just that the endings are weak and the dialogue is weak. I have three book sized projects concerning years of my life 1999, 2005 and 2006 (about 200 pages each when bound). I have other years written out in detail but those are the only three that i've spent a lot of time on to get the flow going and the dialogue right (also interviewed people). Writing that stuff has been very therapeutic in that I finally feel like im over (almost) everything from my past.

I can't write properly when im stoned. and since it's been 12 degrees for like 2 months straight in NYC... ive been high every day since November and that was four months ago...

Scripts for what? During my writers block I wrote six episodes of a sitcom--not commissioned of course, being terrible--and it was a good experience. Nothing worth salvaging but still, the act itself is enjoyable enough.

And that's an interesting project, basically an ongoing autobiography of sorts?

Archived