IGNORED

WATMM Writers Thread

Bechuga

i have an article coming up in the newest issue of the magazine White Fungus about the Stasi. I have other stuff online i've written that had their formatting fucked up based on a web update or stuff i'm not super proud of but its out there.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm an artist... i'm steinvord (but don't believe me, i care because you do) & i'm also a writer... especially poems & songs... but i also write novels...

Hi Rich. Any Analord binders left over?

Anything published? You should post it up if so.

Hi Mike. I'm not Rich. I don't give my real name.

I'm not someone funny and I never have affirmative things to say and it's hard to be positive...

:spiteful:

Cool! I usually write here with the least amount of thought/correction. Which usually leads me to writing in text slang. except even worse lol.

I have two scripts that are basically finished, its just that the endings are weak and the dialogue is weak. I have three book sized projects concerning years of my life 1999, 2005 and 2006 (about 200 pages each when bound). I have other years written out in detail but those are the only three that i've spent a lot of time on to get the flow going and the dialogue right (also interviewed people). Writing that stuff has been very therapeutic in that I finally feel like im over (almost) everything from my past.

I can't write properly when im stoned. and since it's been 12 degrees for like 2 months straight in NYC... ive been high every day since November and that was four months ago...

Scripts for what? During my writers block I wrote six episodes of a sitcom--not commissioned of course, being terrible--and it was a good experience. Nothing worth salvaging but still, the act itself is enjoyable enough.

And that's an interesting project, basically an ongoing autobiography of sorts?

Nice! I would like to see some :) I havent written for exercise in a while (other than daily journal entries, but thats habit).

The scripts: One is a sort of Horror/Thriller based off Lucio Fulci's "The Pychic" and the other is about two kids who have escaped a juvenile detention center.

I usually have really good memory and at about age 27 certain bits weren't as "reachable" in my head (certain names of childhood neighbors, phone numbers, names of childhood friend's siblings, teachers names) Not really vital stuff, but it was something that hadnt happened to me before and I got a little scared.

A friend who spent most of 2005 w me is getting married and I was thinking of (in addition to a wedding gift) just giving him a bound copy of the 2005 book.

my sister is a published author. from preteen fantasy to adult short stories... she makes enough from doing it to currently not having to work. no, not going to link to her :ok:

• 3 weeks later...

reviving dis dread toplel

One of my problems always is which motherfucking time I should use... Like, how can I say it in english? Like in past tense or present... Deciding which "time" to use is a conflict for me. Any tips?

Past tense is almost always better if you're not sure, as it is basically the standard way of writing prose.

Present tense can feel a bit ostentatious -- it's something writers seem to need to get out of their system -- but if you have the chops, go for it.

Personally, I think present tense works best when it's used to mark a present day in a narrative that will be moving around chronologically (and using past tense for earlier events); see Infinite Jest, for example. But that's David Foster Fucking Wallace.

Yeah, past tense works in almost all situations, although switching between present and past can be done for effect, depending on the story. Unles you accidentally keep switching between the two, by fault not design, then it doesn't matter so much, as long as you stick with one for the duration.

• 2 weeks later...

Abandoned my fourth book attempt in the last year, getting to a certain point and then losing faith in how interesting the work is. Maybe they're right: everyone had a book in them, and I did mine already. .__.

Still gonna keep trying though...and I may revisit one of these ideas eventually, but for now, dead in the water. :catbleed:

Abandoned my fourth book attempt in the last year, getting to a certain point and then losing faith in how interesting the work is. Maybe they're right: everyone had a book in them, and I did mine already. .__.

Still gonna keep trying though...and I may revisit one of these ideas eventually, but for now, dead in the water. :catbleed:

why

I always wanted to write but I always felt like creating characters and settings and telling a story and shit was beyond my comprehension. Not sure where to start. I've kind of resigned to the idea that I'm not a storyteller. The itch never seems to go away but I don't have the claws to scratch it.

I always wanted to write but I always felt like creating characters and settings and telling a story and shit was beyond my comprehension. Not sure where to start. I've kind of resigned to the idea that I'm not a storyteller. The itch never seems to go away but I don't have the claws to scratch it.

write a story about a dude who thinks he can't write.

write a story about a dude who thinks he can't write.

lol, I've thought about doing this. Seems like a pretty wanky premise. I guess any creative endeavor is kind of wanky if you look at it from a certain angle.

I've been writing a short story for the last four months, and after I finish it I have another idea to write! I try not to think of my stories as short stories or novels until they're done (I just write them until they're done and dusted), but I have a feeling that this next one is going to be at least novella length. You wouldn't believe how excited this makes me!

why

Stupidity or insanity, one or the other.

why

Stupidity or insanity, one or the other.

57237343.jpg

I wish I had more time...

I hand wrote some "great" Alien fan fiction in the late 90s which followed directly on from Aliens and discounted the events of Alien 3. I was an angsty teenager who didn't like what Fincher had done. But i'm over it now - I quite like Alien 3. Would be good if I could find these stories - dunno where they are now. A box somewhere in my parents attic probably.

• 3 weeks later...

Today published a short story, should be showing up in the next few hours. It's called The Perfect Wife and features robots, washing machines and shepard's pie.

Places to download it: US UK

I just bought it myself--immediately putting myself into negative royalties--and it looks OK so far. Hope to not find embarrassing typos, despite copious editing. This is also a test to see how short stories do on their lonesome on the Kindle store: apparently it's best to keep to short stuff to get people interested, being shorter means easier to read, natch.

If you cannot pay / don't want to, wait until I offer it for free (you only get a few days allotted) and I'll hit you up when it's available. [/selfpromo]

Thanks, I spent all of three hours on it today, a bit too much effort for one 33 page story. :catbleed:

sent it to the kindles singles program too, hopefully they find it interesting enough to add it to the service.

I found some notes I made based on a fantasy story, and I'm kinda tempted to flesh it out a bit more. I'm inspired by Patrick Rothfuss simple no-fuss writing style, fantasy does not need to be challenging to understand.

here's the stasi article i did for White Fungus mag, now online. Not in love with it but it was an experience i learned from and will probably (hopefully) write better next time

Panopticon Fatigue: Life, Sex and Death under the East German Stasi
http://mediaroots.org/panopticon-fatigue-life-sex-and-death-under-the-east-german-stasi/

here's the stasi article i did for White Fungus mag, now online. Not in love with it but it was an experience i learned from and will probably (hopefully) write better next time

Panopticon Fatigue: Life, Sex and Death under the East German Stasi

http://mediaroots.org/panopticon-fatigue-life-sex-and-death-under-the-east-german-stasi/

Thanks, a very nice read. Nice reserved style as well as profound theme and research.

"A storage room filled with these glass jars must have resembled a psychosexual experimental art installation". You weren't be you without a mandatory psychosexual remark

Type type type, save, edit. Simples.

Most of the time it is rubbish, but it is mine.

Plus most of the time is NOT ALL of the time. Smiley face.

Archived