IGNORED

Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly

jhonny

Damn, this is a powerful album... I really don't know how to feel about all of it after first listen. The instrumentals are great through and through jazzy, and layered. Kendrick clearly has a lot to say, it's just a lot to absorb. Also, it makes me feel a bit odd as I listen as a white male because the album is so focused on issues in American society from an African American perspective, that although I may understand, I know I can't completely relate to. I'm sure it's not Kendrick's intention to isolate listeners though and he's just calling to attention the issues, that many people are afraid to speak about and for that I commend it. It's definitely gonna take repeated listens to fully take it all in.

thats exactly how i felt when i listened to the dead prez's lets get free but in retrospect that didn't stop me from enjoying the hell out of it.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was I the only one that listened to welcome to Compton?

edit. Uhm that was a "mixtape" now that I've thought about it a little.

The album reminds me of Common's Like Water For Chocolate, The Roots' Things Fall Apart, the new D'Angelo album, and Until The Quiet Comes mixed up.

very exited, haven't listened yet but getting this tomorrows

i don't even mind "i", it sounds amazing compared to kanye's new single wich is like horsepiss coming out of ass all day nigga

I take whatever nonsense I spouted on the previous page back, this is very good.

The album reminds me of Common's Like Water For Chocolate, The Roots' Things Fall Apart, the new D'Angelo album, and Until The Quiet Comes mixed up.

Good Call. I immediatly thought of Like Water For Chocolate, too...

Really loving To Pimp A Buterfly. It's a perfect Mix of Soul, Funk and Jazz. I wish Dilla would be alive, and he had programmed the Drums on this mo'fucka...

Guest mrgerbik

I think that "i" didn't work as a single AT ALL, but in the context of this album it totally makes sense.

Guest murphythecat8

Momma

hood politics

mortal man : so cool what he do with the interview with tupac

complexion

how much a dollar cost

those are my highlight, the rest of the album I dont care, but I love those 5 tracks

Oh yes!

Sounds like i isn't going to be on it which is a major plus. The Blacker the Berry is an amazing track.

http://pitchfork.com/news/58754-kendrick-lamar-announces-album-release-date/

love the idea of Pitchfork casually mentioning a new album and then posting to their own video of said artist at their own festival. payola makes the world go round?

I'm also pleased that I know absolutely nothing about Kendrick Lamar and casually checking out his music left me with zero memorable impression (sorry went into it totally blind should probably "have some respect for him" since everybody talks about him, especially suburban white hip hop fans, but being totally honest)

Oh yes!

Sounds like i isn't going to be on it which is a major plus. The Blacker the Berry is an amazing track.

love the idea of Pitchfork casually mentioning a new album and then posting to their own video of said artist at their own festival. payola makes the world go round?

I'm also pleased that I know absolutely nothing about Kendrick Lamar and casually checking out his music left me with zero memorable impression (sorry went into it totally blind should probably "have some respect for him" since everybody talks about him, especially suburban white hip hop fans, but being totally honest)

Nah

Oh yes!

What if they're urban white hip-hop fans?

What if they're suburban black hip-hop fans?

What if they're rural Chinese farmers?

Guest mrgerbik

Too much hate for 'i', the version on here is really good.

agreed. plus, I'm telling you, "i" did NOT work as a single but fits perfectly in the context of the album.

i think this would be a really good album for anyone regardless of what they listen to. unless they are bothered by the language or whatnot..

so true... my wife LOVES this album and couldn't care less about "rap music". not to mention the music is really rooted in funk/soul & jazz.

Loving the intro to Hood Politics. Wish that was milked a little more.

yes!!

I knew nothing about KL when I first picked up "good kid, m.A.A.d city"; didn't know anyone else who had heard of him... and after several listens of this kinda-strange hip-hop album I knew this was something very special (as is TPAB). sounds like you never gave it a real chance, and you definitely DIDN'T go into it without pre-conceived notions (which is evident by the rest of your post).

What if they're urban white hip-hop fans?

What if they're suburban black hip-hop fans?

What if they're rural Chinese farmers?

Amen, brother.

Archived