IGNORED

Venetian Snares Vinyl Reissues

Soloman Tump

Turns out my local record store will have them after all. Guess I'll be waiting in line in the cold again this year.

do u think the colored vinyl sound worse than the black vinyl? :mellow:

I've never had that problem with my colored vinyl. I have a few Bibio that are colored (pink, see-through green, etc.), and they all play just fine.

yeah me too - i've got some colored/transparent vinyls, but i don't understand what does Bechuga mean with:

I'll wait for the black vinyl, sounds like less hassle.

So, yeah, picture vinyls sound worse than others vinyls... But colored vinyls (in comparaison with black vinyls)?... :mellow:

I did not mention anything about sound quality, unless the hassle of finding a shop that sells the coloured vinyl is somehow audible in the pressings. I don't believe it is, so I'll wait for them to appear on the Mu shop.

Just to be clear, I knew that you just meant that the limited edition color ones sound more difficult to get, so you were skipping them. I know you didn't say that the color ones sound worse, but I've heard quite a few people say that color vinyl sounds worse than black vinyl. I've been meaning to ask people why they think this. That's an empirical claim that I think needs some evidence. I've never had more problems with color vinyl over black vinyl. I read somewhere that early Warp records that were color (like some Ae records, I think) had some problems. But that's a correlation claim, not a causation claim. It could have been that any of those records would be problematic: maybe there was a problem with the pressings. Actually, now that I think about it, I think I've had more trouble with bad black vinyl pressings than I've ever had with color ones. Some of the bum BOC copies I got initially spring to mind (although to be fair to Warp/Bleep, I got replacements very speedily once I contacted them). So if anyone has some explanation about why the color causes those vinyl records to "sound worse", I'd really like to hear it.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know who said that, but we haven't planned to press black vinyl versions, just these limited edition coloured vinyl ones for rsd.

Fair enough, so it looks like I might be driving around a bit on RSD if I want them all then!

Damn, I'll have to keep an eye out around here for the hungarian album (or just order it I suppose) Huge Chrome... would be pretty sweet to own as well.

Turns out my local record store will have them after all. Guess I'll be waiting in line in the cold again this year.

do u think the colored vinyl sound worse than the black vinyl? :mellow:

I've never had that problem with my colored vinyl. I have a few Bibio that are colored (pink, see-through green, etc.), and they all play just fine.

yeah me too - i've got some colored/transparent vinyls, but i don't understand what does Bechuga mean with:

I'll wait for the black vinyl, sounds like less hassle.

So, yeah, picture vinyls sound worse than others vinyls... But colored vinyls (in comparaison with black vinyls)?... :mellow:

I did not mention anything about sound quality, unless the hassle of finding a shop that sells the coloured vinyl is somehow audible in the pressings. I don't believe it is, so I'll wait for them to appear on the Mu shop.

Just to be clear, I knew that you just meant that the limited edition color ones sound more difficult to get, so you were skipping them. I know you didn't say that the color ones sound worse, but I've heard quite a few people say that color vinyl sounds worse than black vinyl. I've been meaning to ask people why they think this. That's an empirical claim that I think needs some evidence. I've never had more problems with color vinyl over black vinyl. I read somewhere that early Warp records that were color (like some Ae records, I think) had some problems. But that's a correlation claim, not a causation claim. It could have been that any of those records would be problematic: maybe there was a problem with the pressings. Actually, now that I think about it, I think I've had more trouble with bad black vinyl pressings than I've ever had with color ones. Some of the bum BOC copies I got initially spring to mind (although to be fair to Warp/Bleep, I got replacements very speedily once I contacted them). So if anyone has some explanation about why the color causes those vinyl records to "sound worse", I'd really like to hear it.

This isn't gospel but I'm sure I read the dye used in the coloring process interferes with the clarity of the sound, whereas black vinyl is pure so the sound has no hindrance. Something like that anyway.

Coloured vinyl used to sound worse until last 5-8 years. The reason was usually nothing to do with dye - although in some metallics a grainy surface noise was introduced. It was to do with the calibration of the pressing. Obviously the black/coloured/pic discs are all made with identical metalwork, which is tested with black test pressings. With black vinyl you shine a light and have the greatest contrast when calibrating the metalwork apparently. White vinyl was the hardest and this affects the surface noise/music ratio. This problem has now been solved and coloured pressings within last 8 years should sound good.

Coloured vinyl used to sound worse until last 5-8 years. The reason was usually nothing to do with dye - although in some metallics a grainy surface noise was introduced. It was to do with the calibration of the pressing. Obviously the black/coloured/pic discs are all made with identical metalwork, which is tested with black test pressings. With black vinyl you shine a light and have the greatest contrast when calibrating the metalwork apparently. White vinyl was the hardest and this affects the surface noise/music ratio. This problem has now been solved and coloured pressings within last 8 years should sound good.

Initially, the material used for the production of records, vinyl chloride or PVC (plastic derived from petroleum) is colorless and need to add a lot of color for a black paste. Here against PVC beads in the rough and black dye.

For red discs, blue, green etc. it takes a lot less dye, so in theory the PVC quality is better. But the black majority remained for production because it helps to identify tracks on the surface of the disc. These colorful vinyl appeared around 1977 nearly 100 years after the invention disk.

FYI, the disks are vinyl since 1939 following shortages of shellac (a substance derived from the secretion of an insect in Southeast Asia which was largely the raw material for 78 rpm). The first LPs were sold in the United States 1942-1944.

Colored discs are often reserved for limited editions, as it is difficult to find the exact same color as different pressings. In general they are followed by a standard using black vinyl pressing. At the time, there were only 45 rpm and 33 rpm in color, no for maxi 45 rpm.

Now, the argument "vinyl black" or "colored vinyl" to justify a difference in sound quality does not hold water because the black vinyl is also colored in black. You should know that the basis pvc used for the production of records is colorless and what's fun is that we should use more dye for black editions. This color is preferred because it is easier to mark the different tracks on the disc.

I don't know where Anchio keeps getting this idea that I slated colour vinyl! I have a 2 x 12" live album of YMO on red vinyl and it's one of my favourite records to listen to, amongst other albums on coloured plastic. Blue Caretaker vinyl is another that I love, sounds lush to me. I have a clear Masonna album though, which has one side smothered in thick paint...that side might not sound so good. :catface:

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know who said that, but we haven't planned to press black vinyl versions, just these limited edition coloured vinyl ones for rsd.

Fair enough, so it looks like I might be driving around a bit on RSD if I want them all then!

ok so there won't be a repress to regular vinyl... are these UK/Europe only? I was excited to see them teased on the facebook page months ago, and my heart sank a bit when they were announced as RSD releases and there were a lot of edits/deletes to the post announcing them. I'd have to travel hours to a record shop that may or may not have them. :catrage:

Guest bitroast

ooo... no black standard editions?

if i have trouble picking these up (living in.. the wrong country... i'm assuming) i hope some more get pressed :)

• 2 weeks later...

any word on how many copies will make their way to australia for RSD?

you're probably better off checking with your local stores on what they expect to have in

just checked on piccadilly records here and they don't seem to be expecting it for RSD, but one of the people behind the till there said they're usually so overwhelmed by labels and publishers giving them stuff, they sometimes stagger limited stuff out to a couple of weeks after the event. guess I'll check by eastern bloc :catnope:

• 2 weeks later...

so is there any confirmation that these are making it to the us(of a)? they aren't listed on the official rsd website for america but they shop up on the .co.uk site

don't really care to brave hoards of scalpers for something that has 0% chance of being there and these are the only releases i'm interested in

don't really care to brave hoards of scalpers for something that has 0% chance of being there and these are the only releases i'm interested in

and then you see it on discogs the day after for $100 :catsuicide:

Regarding the US, Facebook account seems to think it'll be in the UK and US: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=872797172806774&id=122946584458507&reply_comment_id=872816812804810&total_comments=8&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R9%22%7D

Also apparently a list of participating stores was going to be sent out by Planet Mu "mid-April" but no word yet, and we're five days away...

mike pls

so is there any confirmation that these are making it to the us(of a)? they aren't listed on the official rsd website for america but they shop up on the .co.uk site

My LRS got back to me and said that they would have some copies after all (that's out here in the Midwest, middle of nowhere).

slick! the only two around here that i'll try just keep telling me "we ordered everything we can. won't know what we have until rsd." i'll give the shit show a shot i guess

Archived