IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - Comissions II

Rubin Farr

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Super pumped for this; really wanted to hear the material for Red Bull Tokyo and the Magnetic Rose score.

Here's the tracklist:

01 Bullet Hell Abstraction I
02 Bullet Hell Abstraction II
03 Suite From Magnetic Rose

Guest bitroast

i found the first one to be good and largely in the style of R+7. That first track though is one of his best and easily as good/better as the material on R+7.

Interesting to hear what this one sounds like. Due to nature of the works being 'commissions' and even being in the EP title, hard to predict what this'll sound like !

As a companion to ‘Commissions I,’ Daniel Lopatin offers a new selection of commissioned works that further display his relationship to composition, performance, and film.

Inspired by the video game soundtracks of celebrated Japanese artist Manabu Namiki, Lopatin’s arrangement ‘Bullet Hell Abstraction’ deconstructs both the sonic and visual aesthetic of Japanese video games. ‘Commissions II’ includes selections that he recorded for the performance, which was commissioned by Redbull Music Academy and originally premiered at Womb, Tokyo (November 2014).

With affection for the original piece, Lopatin composed and performed live a re-imagined soundtrack to Koji Morimoto’s historic anime film ‘Magnetic Rose’. ‘Commissions II’ includes ‘Suite From Magnetic Rose,’ a segment from the live performance, which was commissioned by Abandon Normal Devices and premiered in tandem with the original film at the Jodrell Bank Observatory, Manchester (October 2014).

Excited !!!

Very excited about this. I hope that my local record store is able to get enough of these. I was hoping that it might include the first piece that he played as the opening for NIN (the one with the weird purple hand and flashing yellow/purple swirls as the accompanying visuals). Oh well. Perhaps on the new album he's working on. It had a cool return to "Rifts" form, but with more intensity/industrial sound. That's my favorite kind of OPN: the square-waves and confusing emotions. Best combo. I liked "r+7", but I hope he goes back to the older sound with his new experiences and skills.

I just found this interview with Daniel on Vice. http://www.vice.com/video/electric-independence-opn

It's from a while ago, but it's a good interview.

Seriously, he's the best new addition to the Warp lineup in a long time. Sorry, Future Turd. It's not a competition, but OPN's work is good. I know this might be a unusual thing to say these days, but goodness is a necessary condition for me to like something.

• 1 month later...

Yeah reckon they'll prolly do digital vinlys like last time. Though if you're in the mood for getting pwned/rickrolled look on the interwebz for the leak (props to whoever did this)

There's a profile on the Warp website for the digital release, so I suspect it will come after the record has been bought up for RSD.

I love that he's done pieces based on two things I love--bullet hell shooters and Magnetic Rose--so I'm quite excited to hear this.

bullet hell abstraction 1 and 3... what happened to 2?

Live exhibition exclusives I believe, you'll have to go to the exhibition itself to hear them. There's a IV as well.

Archived