IGNORED

Two Piano Bits!

Brisbot

I made these a little while back, currently in a different mode, but can't wait to get back to piano really! I'd like to know any feedback you might have, if you have anything that comes to mind!

https://soundcloud.com/evoava/coffee-is-a-girl-called-monday-1

https://soundcloud.com/evoava/callipygian-bungalow

Here's a third track I've totally forgotten to mention. Started in the same week as the other two (when I was in my piano zone)

https://soundcloud.com/evoava/winter-route

Love these two, I think I already commented on them or at least liked them on SC some time ago? Liked the second one more than the first one but both are good. Both maybe carry on the theme a bit too long - I don't get a clear vision of dynamics and don't really know where the tops of compositions are - then I always get surprised when the end sections come in. But I personally think that a lot of this type of piano (or ambient for that matter) compositions are composed in the same way. I blame Satie for it :)

Guest Sinclair

Bird sounds in the first track. I'm trying to wrap my head around that one. I think you are trying to suggest that there are birds outside in your vision, the vision that inspired or is conjured by the track. You suggest the hope embodied in a morning cup of coffee is like a spring day, is like a woman named Monday, the first day of the week. But how often can we truly feel this hope in the morning? For every morning that is as lovely and quiet as you suggest, I'd like to posit that there are four mornings that start out with very little hope, or are at least grey and hazy. The sounds are lovely, and you have a nice plucky manner with the keys, but I'm not sure I believe the subtext.

If I wasn't thinking about it and just listening, as I assume many people will, it would be a slice of the sublime, but I can't help but analyze, and I can't listen without wondering when my next hopeful morning will be. Maybe the track is a success because it allows for this kind of discourse.

Hey Blaz man, thanks for the feedback :) I agree with you. If I had to do them over I'd probably be varying them up a bit more. I don't like sections being any longer than they feel they have to be!

You know, most minimalist-ish piano workings remind me of Satie. When you're purposely only using notes that 'mean' something in a composition, as opposed to filler notes as in jazz or IDM (joke) or something, then I think that embodies what Satie (and tons of other musicians) do nowadays.

Bird sounds in the first track. I'm trying to wrap my head around that one. I think you are trying to suggest that there are birds outside in your vision, the vision that inspired or is conjured by the track. You suggest the hope embodied in a morning cup of coffee is like a spring day, is like a woman named Monday, the first day of the week. But how often can we truly feel this hope in the morning? For every morning that is as lovely and quiet as you suggest, I'd like to posit that there are four mornings that start out with very little hope, or are at least grey and hazy. The sounds are lovely, and you have a nice plucky manner with the keys, but I'm not sure I believe the subtext.

If I wasn't thinking about it and just listening, as I assume many people will, it would be a slice of the sublime, but I can't help but analyze, and I can't listen without wondering when my next hopeful morning will be. Maybe the track is a success because it allows for this kind of discourse.

Sinclair, I'm happy you found some meaning in the track name ;). I named it based off of my own feelings and thoughts while I was making it but that moment passed two months ago, and I'm not the same person so the name could be radically different now. I'd rather just leave you hanging.

Oh yes, and I honestly think you should analyse the Callipygian Bungalow track. Would prove fun!

Guest kymppinetti

those two were nice, i would love to hear more. you have interesting technique to play the piano. in a good way ofc.

that coffee track was funny. that fast dididi felt like somebody is on the rush, but short after it were like 'oh never mind'. the rush stopped all the sudden. :D could that rush part be extended? like there would be this fast tempo fill, for like 5-6 seconds. and then after it, that same relaxing melody would play (that already existing melody on the track).

ooor yeah, i think the track is more easy-going without any fast fills.

those two were nice, i would love to hear more. you have interesting technique to play the piano. in a good way ofc.

that coffee track was funny. that fast dididi felt like somebody is on the rush, but short after it were like 'oh never mind'. the rush stopped all the sudden. :D could that rush part be extended? like there would be this fast tempo fill, for like 5-6 seconds. and then after it, that same relaxing melody would play (that already existing melody on the track).

Well that's what I had felt like doing at the time, so I went with that. I suppose it's a bit of a quirky rhythm, but when you've chosen to just arm yourself with a piano, then you get ideas you wouldn't normally get with synthesis and whatnot. If the track is giving you any ideas, you should try them out for yourself and see where it gets you :)

Man some of the melodies in "Callipygian Bungalow" are super nice. Is it Analog or Digital?

Well neither, that's definitely a piano sampler! So I guess more analog than digital. I've recently, well about two months ago, gotten access to a disklaver. Can't wait to use that! Well I actually have already, toward the end of the track in my signature!

Guest kymppinetti

Well that's what I had felt like doing at the time, so I went with that. I suppose it's a bit of a quirky rhythm, but when you've chosen to just arm yourself with a piano, then you get ideas you wouldn't normally get with synthesis and whatnot. If the track is giving you any ideas, you should try them out for yourself and see where it gets you :)

i know what you mean. :D the outcome is really different with a piano. well ofc. it is, cos it's completely different instrument, and therefore the sound is different too. (did i just use the word 'different' three times? lol) i would love to try, but i don't have a piano haha.

I actually meant the melody is different because of the instrument! Sorry, I should have clarified what I meant. Like I think this melody/rhythm/whatever is better with a piano than say, an acid lead... well in this kind of context anyway right?

Coffee: I really enjoy the start/stop on this one and feel a true intimacy with you in front of the piano (even though sampled) this may be a little trick from the background birds, etc. I wish there was a little less birds in the bg as it seems unnatural, but that is a very small production note.

Callipygian: It feels more developed, but a little more generic in melody, that being said I think it's very moving and dynamic and I love the little hiccups/off-notes you included/kept. This one feels a little more accessible.

Overall I would agree there is a Satie vibe going on but that's bc he is an originator of minimal piano so it's hard to get away from it just as you said. I think both pieces feel very complete and are well done.

Have you listened to Brambles (other sounds there besides piano, but keys drive the tracks), Otto A. Totland (pure piano), or Nils Frahm (all over the place) at all? Brambles and Otto broadened my piano horizons a bit and then Nils Frahm pretty much shattered them same horizons.

Guest Tristan

This is one of my fave SC accounts atm, superb tunage, strong imagery, and a great biography. Also really like how the tracks often have indepth descriptions about how they were made. Heck, there's even a few wav's available for download. Am gonna keep an eye out for that lp (if it will appear).

I've added a third track!: https://soundcloud.com/evoava/winter-route

Coffee: I really enjoy the start/stop on this one and feel a true intimacy with you in front of the piano (even though sampled) this may be a little trick from the background birds, etc. I wish there was a little less birds in the bg as it seems unnatural, but that is a very small production note.

Callipygian: It feels more developed, but a little more generic in melody, that being said I think it's very moving and dynamic and I love the little hiccups/off-notes you included/kept. This one feels a little more accessible.

Overall I would agree there is a Satie vibe going on but that's bc he is an originator of minimal piano so it's hard to get away from it just as you said. I think both pieces feel very complete and are well done.

Have you listened to Brambles (other sounds there besides piano, but keys drive the tracks), Otto A. Totland (pure piano), or Nils Frahm (all over the place) at all? Brambles and Otto broadened my piano horizons a bit and then Nils Frahm pretty much shattered them same horizons.

Hehe, good you picked up that I was 'in front' of the piano for coffee! Looks like my mixing got through what I was trying to get through! For the birds, pretend there was a second mic going out an open window or sommat x)

For Callip, that's exactly what I was going for (wow you are receptive to my goals here). It was the track I did after coffee, I think a tiny bit better but meh. Better isn't a good way to look at music.

I've listened to some of Brambles and Nils'ss's's stuff, but thanks for the suggestions, if you have any specific compositions in mind it would be cool if you pm'd them to me since I am interested in exploring minimal artists more than I have.

This is one of my fave SC accounts atm, superb tunage, strong imagery, and a great biography. Also really like how the tracks often have indepth descriptions about how they were made. Heck, there's even a few wav's available for download. Am gonna keep an eye out for that lp (if it will appear).

Your name is familiar! I wouldn't call my bio great, I'm wondering why you think it is? heh. It is somewhat tongue in cheek. Everyone likes writing third person bios. Nothing wrong with it, but I find it kind of funny to read something someone wrote about themselves in third person.

I should really write more about how I make music, or maybe make a video! I really liked ZoeB's little series, so I think that would be fun to make. Maybe even kickstart me making tutorial videos, which is something I've always wanted to do.

Oh yeah, and the LP thing. I've had a few people ask me about it, so I'm thinking I want to get a solid slab of 8-10 well done, mastered tracks. I was just going to do a 'compilation' thing but I feel like it would be smarter to put out an album that makes some kind of sense beginning to end. Maybe an album of my best tracks, and another compilation one could suffice. That said, it's going to be a while. I'm starting University soon, so I'll be doing that alongside the music thing.

Thanks for the interest man :) keeps me going!

Guest Tristan

"Your name is familiar! I wouldn't call my bio great, I'm wondering why you think it is? heh. It is somewhat tongue in cheek. Everyone likes writing third person bios. Nothing wrong with it, but I find it kind of funny to read something someone wrote about themselves in third person."

> Oh is it? Hehe, dunno, i'm new here. Third person bio's are often a bit funny, i agree. What i like about yours in particular is the non-discriminating bit, which is so logical yet always welcome to hear.

"I should really write more about how I make music, or maybe make a video! I really liked ZoeB's little series, so I think that would be fun to make. Maybe even kickstart me making tutorial videos, which is something I've always wanted to do."

> Either way would be awesome!

"Oh yeah, and the LP thing. I've had a few people ask me about it, so I'm thinking I want to get a solid slab of 8-10 well done, mastered tracks. I was just going to do a 'compilation' thing but I feel like it would be smarter to put out an album that makes some kind of sense beginning to end. Maybe an album of my best tracks, and another compilation one could suffice. That said, it's going to be a while. I'm starting University soon, so I'll be doing that alongside the music thing."

> Gonna keep my eyes peeled for that lp and good luck with University!

"Thanks for the interest man :) keeps me going!"

> You're welcome and thank you for the music! Enjoyed the tunes at the job today :)

Archived