IGNORED

The Fix/Waiting Room - Polytrix

Polytrix

Hi Everyone,

https://soundcloud.com/richard-russsell/the-waiting-room

Working on that above now..adding live bass and dynamics. I really like how it's coming together even though I should be spending more time learning more via tutorials etc to truly understand all Ableton has to offer. I find it hard to finish things.

https://soundcloud.com/richard-russsell/the-fix

That's kind of 'done'. If you get me. Weird little acid jam.

All comments appreciated :)

Sounding good dude. FIrst track's not really my bag and second one kinda drags on a bit without really going anywhere but I hope that's not discouraging as you're on the right track; mixes are sonically decent overall imo.

Tutorials may help but if completing tracks is a problem for you then maybe cranking out finished tunes might be more constructive/useful? I suffer badly from 'never finish anything' syndrome and should probably take heed of my own advice there :)

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

I know exactly what you mean as far as ableton tutorials. I spent a couple of days dedicated to a couple tutorials in the basic functions of arrangement/session views, etc. and it helped a lot.

The Waiting Room seems to drag on a bit for me as well without developing much, but some of that is probably necessary to let your more subtle elements develop and coalesce. It would be nice if there was a little more or more frequent variation as I hear some very interesting sounds in the background. Nice restrained drums going on which I think is a pretty great thing, the restraint is a refreshing as I've been very into maximalism lately.

The Fix has a nice variation of synths/melodies in the beginning and again some nice restraint. Nice chill feel. I enjoy the echo-ey percussion around the :43 mark.

Hey! Wow, so I didn't know there were responses waiting for me. That's some really kind and constructive comments. Thank you all :biggrin:

I get very involved in individual sounds and really like minimalism/restraint to build up mood but this is probably to the point of it perhaps being boring for the listener but I get lost in it somehow.

I suppose it's just nice to share my little weird compositions with you. They are FAR from finished really and I totally agree they lack progression etc but it's still really nice to hear your feedback as it helps me concentrate on stuff to develop these things.

Dude, as long as you're happy with the end product is all that really matters.

I like both tracks. I think you've got some good creativity here and the more tracks you make the better you'll get.

Are you into NIN at all? Both tracks reminded me of their sound either as an industrial noise or melody.

I was actually referring to the hope that I'd posted according to forum rules....

I adore NIN so yeah, I often try and involve sort of industrial guitar bits..I'm playing guitar on The Fix at some point.

I've got a good 5 tracks I need to finish...it's mad when you listen back to stuff you've been working on days ago and realise there are some awesome bits. Cars driving past on the road make for the COOLEST sounding samples.

I'm not so great at structuring an arrangement. For me it's more about just building intensity until the track basically explodes or something.

Archived