IGNORED

Southernmost Point

Vaaler9

Hi All. Finished a track and would love any feedback, in particular about the mastering. Any tips on making it not sound so overblown, yet loud enough, would be appreciated. I wanted a very reverbed out main synth line.. but with clear drums. Maybe too much to ask? Anyway, thanks for any constructive criticism.

https://soundcloud.com/andovaaler/southernmost-point

Sounds nice and moody. Not sure what you mean about overblown drums sorry! You mean the kick drum?

edit - I listened to your other track on soundcloud, there's lots of stuff in all the frequencies, partiularly high end, which can easily mask your lower frequencies. Maybe try backing off one or the other to give the listener a focal point? You don't even have to have the levels stationary, I tend to automate mine as the track progresses. I dunno sounds good anyway, keep at it!

Sounds nice and moody. Not sure what you mean about overblown drums sorry! You mean the kick drum?

edit - I listened to your other track on soundcloud, there's lots of stuff in all the frequencies, partiularly high end, which can easily mask your lower frequencies. Maybe try backing off one or the other to give the listener a focal point? You don't even have to have the levels stationary, I tend to automate mine as the track progresses. I dunno sounds good anyway, keep at it!

Thanks very much for checking it out :) Great ideas on automating accordingly as the track progresses. My initial thought on that is it would make it sound uneven.. but I just gave it a shot and it really cleared some things up :)

The drums are pretty clear as they are, but if you're looking to make them clearer, you could figure out where the drums and reverbed synth clash in frequencies with a signal analyzer of some sort, then side chain an eq to duck at those points. Or perhaps a low pass filter in this case, to duck with the volume of the drums.

very nice! keep it as it is.. listened to it on my beyerdynamic headphones.. also sounds good on my yamaha mid range monitors! (i always have it all hooked up.. so i can switch speakers at the push of a button.. i also checked it out on my hifi system (infinity speakers)

Archived