IGNORED

Special Herbs: The Box Set Vol. 0–9

Al N Aafiysh

Special Herbs: The Box Set Vol. 0–9

Ba74cs.jpg

Hello,

I enjoy this box set very much, but I am always confounded by the track listing.

The first CD in the set has 36 tracks, but the liner notes lists 37.

The second CD has 36 tracks, but the liner notes lists 35.

The third CD has 10 tracks, with no listing at all.

Does anyone here at WATMM have the original separate vinyl Herbs releases?

It would seem like the track titles on those separate vinyl releases would be the most “accurate”.

From those titles one could build an accurate track listing for the box set.

Thanks.

Phat serifs m8

I'd known the tracklisting was all screwed up but could never be bothered by it. Anyway that discogs listing has what are apparently the real track titties. The 3rd CD is instrumentals of tracks from his original group KMD from the late 80s/early 90s, which I believe he produced in tandem with his brother Subroc (RIP).

It's a great collection of Doom's beats for the heads, they actually work better in 2-minute snippets spliced together this way (although some of the editing feels a little lazy, almost as if the tracks were mixed on an mpc, which for all we know they probably were). Also there are 1 or 2 instrumentals that appear twice which is a little weird but I chalk it up to he/they being blazed while putting this together.

Man, 2006 was the year for great instrumental hiphop releases (Donuts, this, Madlib's waaay underrated Beat Konducta Vols. 1-2). Doom's always struck me as being underrated as a producer as well, esp. the beats on the Doomsday & King Geedorah albums (all of which are on here). At the same time his production output seems to have dropped off over the years - and he was still pulling special herb beats on albums as recently as 2009 on Born Like This - so part of me thinks that some of these beats might've originally been KMD/Subroc's. Pure speculation of course...

Archived