IGNORED

(production) Headphones with detachable cable for under $100

Berk

I'm looking into buying some headphones. I've always produced (and listened to) music with AKG K514 headphones, that cost around 50 euros. A lot of people will probably think they suck for producing, but I got used to them and really liked the crispy clear sound. Problem is they kept breaking very quickly, starting with the cables.

So I'm looking into buying headphones that have detachable cables for under 100 euros/dollars. Thanks for the recommendations!

Guest igloos unlmtd

I've been a 7506 wearer for years.. cord doesn't detach but they are foldable, great for travel, & somewhat standard. I've never had to replace the cord even in my first pair that I bought almost 15 years ago.

I've been a 7506 wearer for years.. cord doesn't detach but they are foldable, great for travel, & somewhat standard. I've never had to replace the cord even in my first pair that I bought almost 15 years ago.

Excellent headphones. I own a pair of AT MTH-50's, Beyerdynamic DT-880, and these and I prefer the 7506 to the others most of the time. Perfect weight, cord is good (not worn out in 3 years) I would say the sound quality on the DT-880's for playback of finished tunes is preferred, but they aren't the best for mixing compared to the sony's.

AKG's have no weight, sound thin, and leak too much sound for my taste on the below 100 euro models. I would seriously consider the 7506 as it has IMO the best build, sound quality for any 100 euro or below cans - and I can wear them for 5+ hours without discomfort or the awful 'body heat doughnut' around your ears from felt pads.

If the cord detaching is a big sell for you, disregard, but IMO most of the ones that do so below 100 euros are garbage and look bad.

(dodges flying plates, beer bottles and feces)

Yo Berk, also check out 'audio technica' range of headphones, apparently they're trying to get their foot in the door if the European market through using very competitive pricing on their top range products.

I got the AKG K240 cans and I have been thoroughly satisfied with them. Don't do any production with them, but they sound great and aren't too heavy and very comfortable. Compared to my last cans, AE2 by Bose, they sound much crisper and cleaner.

I actually prefer my Yamaha HPH-MT220 for the sound but the cable isn't removable and doesn't feel very substantial either, might be a weak point in the long run. They're also somewhat more expensive than what Berk wants. That's why I suggested the K240, which were my last pair before the Yamahas. The Yamaha seems significantly stronger at both frequency extremes, I'd say it's more revealing and also more fatiguing, the K240 has a more agreeable sound to it.

Two best choices are AKG240m for open back phones Audio Technica ATH-M40 for closed back.

Had the 240's for over 10yrs and they were great and very comfy for long studio sessions without battering your ears however no good for sound isolation or DJ work.

Got the ATH-M40's now which are basically the same as the M50's but with less fancy headband. Has the flattest response in it's class and a great buy tho can get a little sweaty after a while. Not as open sounding as the 240 but the closed back design is more handy in different scenarios like DJing or stage monitoring.

Two best choices are AKG240m for open back

The problem with the AKG240m model (vs the AKG240s) is you need one hell of a pre-amp to drive them to any acceptable volume - 600 Ohms is a flipping insane impedance....

• 2 weeks later...

Got a feeling that people here would look down their nose at them but I have these $30 Monoprice cans that I prefer over my AKG240s. And yes they have a detachable cable.

Looks like Monoprice one only ships from US, but I'm not sure. Do you know what specific model you are using?

I've been using KRK's KNS-6400 headphones for a couple of years now. I would recommend you check them out. When I bought them they were about eighty quid but you can probably get them for less now.

Got a feeling that people here would look down their nose at them but I have these $30 Monoprice cans that I prefer over my AKG240s. And yes they have a detachable cable.

Looks like Monoprice one only ships from US, but I'm not sure. Do you know what specific model you are using?

Looks like it's the 8323:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=8323

Archived