IGNORED

Daphne & Celeste with Max Tundra!

kirm

No idea who these gals are so i looked them up

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/mar/29/daphne-and-celeste-you-and-i-alone

Reading festival, 2000, and on the main stage one of the most punk-rock performances in living memory is taking place. But its not Rage Against the Machine, or Slipknot, or any of the other supposedly punk acts on the bill. Its the pop duo Daphne and Celeste, two teenage girls who have somehow gate-crashed the festival bill in order to sing chipmunk pop songs called Ooh Stick You and U.G.L.Y. to a field of disgruntled metalheads.

Faced with a barrage of bottles of urine, and various other hurled items (shoes, clothing, even a bag of meat), the girls dont just refuse to leave the stage, but positively revel in the madness. You guys are such a good crowd, Celeste Cruz says mockingly between songs. Im loving the signs, adds Daphne (real name Karen DiConcetto), cheerily. Die! Yes, I will!

It was the high point of a short-lived pop career, whose other highlights included scoring three top 20 UK hits and winding up luminaries on the indie-rock scene in a series of cheeky interviews with NME and Melody Maker (Placebos Brian Molko threw a spectacular hissy fit because they mocked his thinning hair).

Trolling a festival + insulting Brian Molko into a hissy fit = You're alright in my book

I organised a gig for Max in Swansea when I was at uni there. Unfortunately his car broke down and he was really late.

In the meantime the support act's fan base pretty much took over the room and booed when Max turned up.

It was a bit of a shambles.

Wow, I remember these two from high school. Cheesy bubblegum pop but I had no idea about this back story. Really never expected to hear about them again but gotta admit the new track is pretty catchy, yeah Max Tundra!

Archived