IGNORED

Tribute to Olympus Mons

Root5

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aha! I finally spotted this thread. Usually it's not until a few days before the deadline that someone asks if I've put anything together and I'm all like "oh shit, I forgot that was happening. :wacko: Where thread???"

You can submit loads and loads of tracks. If it's too much, I'll make a judgement call when judging.

Arnold references are encouraged. Give these people air.

are there any restrictions on genre?

There are no official restrictions. But check out these albums to get a sense of what we normally do:

http://cytoplantastic.bandcamp.com

Things generally stick to IDMish electronic music. If you think you can make a country track sound good in that context, go for it. If you think it'd bring down your track, and feel out of place in the album, maybe consider another option.

You can definitely send me ideas you're working on if you want my opinion. Ultimately these things get decided by the judges though.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a bit of a problem with my gear currently stored almost 10,000km away but let's see. I have a mini-laptop with Renoise installed at least.

I have a bit of a problem with my gear currently stored almost 10,000km away but let's see. I have a mini-laptop with Renoise installed at least.

One of the most popular tracks on the site was done 100% with recordings of a Ukelele. Don't let gear restrictions feel like restrictions on your creativity.

Oh shit --I've been imagining my "applying architectural concepts to everything but architecture" track this whole time, lol... good thing I didn't get started yet. Might still have to make that track.

Oh shit --I've been imagining my "applying architectural concepts to everything but architecture" track this whole time, lol... good thing I didn't get started yet. Might still have to make that track.

I was really looking forward to sampling Obama saying "legal architecture" about a dozen times.

About a month left! Let's get working on those tracks, people.

For general information: I've received 8 tracks so far. The style is predominantly ambient and they average 7 minutes per track.

I have a scifi soundtracky/ambient kind of thing which I will probably tweak a bit more and submit for your approval or disapproval.

For general information: I've received 8 tracks so far. The style is predominantly ambient and they average 7 minutes per track.

Olympus Mons breakcore it is then!

I have a scifi soundtracky/ambient kind of thing which I will probably tweak a bit more and submit for your approval or disapproval.

Haha.

Just in case this wasn't clear, the tracks are judged anonymously by a panel of judges (although I am one of those judges, and I do often remember who wrote what). So my approval is only like... a sixth or seventh of what you need to get onto the comp.

One year (Rogue Planets), the judging didn't wasn't decisive. Halve the judges liked some tracks, the other half liked the others. So I split the release into two albums. Almost every single track made it onto a comp that year.

Olympus Mons breakcore it is then!

Bring it on.

The style is predominantly ambient and they average 7 minutes per track.

lol... I kept thinking to myself as I worked on my track "i bet this is what every track sounds like this year." Mine's only 4:15 tho. Might make another, since this one didn't take much time to complete.

The style is predominantly ambient and they average 7 minutes per track.

lol... I kept thinking to myself as I worked on my track "i bet this is what every track sounds like this year." Mine's only 4:15 tho. Might make another, since this one didn't take much time to complete.

I'm thinking the opposite, haha :rdjgrin:

Haha, oh jesus. I thought the deadline was today so I slapped together an ambient piece. I'll submit this one and another one later in the month.

Archived