IGNORED

Creating a mono mix from a single channel audio recording

Polytrix

Hi All :) Good evening.

I was recording some bass guitar the other day with my Zoom H4N and successfully managed to use the condenser stereo mics at the top of the unit to record in stereo. I tried to simultaneously use my Ahuja Pro-2200SC going into one of the jack inputs at the bottom of the Zoom unit to record with that too in what I thought was my attempt to also record in mono. My intention was to layer the two recordings to see if that made an interesting sound as obviously the Ahuja Mic would colour the sound differently..perhaps the mono would have been nicer on bass for instance

Anyway, I did it wrong and the recordings from the Ahuja Mic input actually recorded as 2 channel recordings with only audio recorded to the left channel, i.e. when I play it back I'm only getting audio coming out from my left monitor speaker.

Apparently I should have enabled 'mono-mix' on the Zoom which would have doubled it up making it a mono recording but I didn't know about that feature and assumed it would do it automatically.

How can I do this in Ableton? I basically want to copy the top audio channel and paste it below to make it mono or make it single channel.

Obviously having recordings which are only single channel recordings in a stereo format is quite useless otherwise.

Hope this makes sense!!

Cheers

Brilliant. Thank you. Yeah, a quick google made me realise utility can do this.

If I set utility to mono and then resample will it appear as a two channel recording..with the left and right identical?

Or will it be condensed into a single channel. Will have a play later. :unsure:

That looks really cool! Utility sorted me out.

Related question, I've just mic'd a little plasic analogue drum machine synth thing with my ahuja dynamic mic running straight into an input on my interface and the resulting recordings were automatically single channel 24bit/44.1khz.

Would it be possible to also record in stereo using this mic? You can't right as it's just the one mic recording?? Or can I make the recordings mono to beef them up a bit?

My samples are sounding really, really good whatever I've done :music:

Archived