IGNORED

TIDAL

klore

tidal now costs 30% more if you subscribe through the mobile app. premium is now $12.99/month and hifi is $25.99/month.

on may 13th, jay z will have an exclusive concert for tidal users performing b-sides of his music

I highly doubt that artists like daft punk will release something major exclusively to such a little audience knowing all other fans would have to pirate it if the don't want to join the service.

Just a rough guess: how many fans of daft punk are on tidal? 1%? 0,5?

Edited by o00o

tidal now costs 30% more if you subscribe through the mobile app. premium is now $12.99/month and hifi is $25.99/month.

on may 13th, jay z will have an exclusive concert for tidal users performing b-sides of his music

I highly doubt that artists like daft punk will release something major exclusively to such a little audience knowing all other fans would have to pirate it if the don't want to join the service.

Just a rough guess: how many fans of daft punk are on tidal? 1%? 0,5?

May 13th?

The way things are going, Tidal might be gone by then.

I think it would have really eased Tidal's woes if they'd offered introductory discounts rather than made a weird video with people signing some fake bill of rights and hoisting champagne glasses.

we’re losing money hand over fist like every streaming service is….we’ll have to raise money,” tidal senior executive vania schlogel

tidal launches discovery feature for unsigned artists <-- interesting move considering they're not getting ANY new subscribers. i guess now the plan is to get real talent in hopes of peaking the interest of audiophiles since mainstream audiences don't give a shit about streaming flac

why would audiophiles who spend time on the internet looking for underground new music suddenly decide to pay for a service run by superstars when what.cd works just fine

why would audiophiles who spend time on the internet looking for underground new music suddenly decide to pay for a service run by superstars when what.cd works just fine

200_s.gif

200_s.gif

lol, more on point than it seemed to be at first glance.

I wonder if many of the established labels getting shares from spotify why tidal then? Did these artists not get enough from the cut and tried to put spotify under pressure? I wonder what the real reason was besides the obvious greed. I am pretty sure they had failed negotiotations with spotify before that and and left the room with something like "we are going to destroy you" or alike

I wonder if many of the established labels getting shares from spotify why tidal then?

with tidal they get more money because artists get 70% of the profit from their streams. this is why it's $20/mo

Did these artists not get enough from the cut and tried to put spotify under pressure?

kind of. most of them complained that even though they were getting thousands of streams, they were only getting about $3-4,000/mo. an example was portishead who made $2,500 off 34 million streams. tidals argument has been when spotify gives music for free, people will begin to believe music should be free, and thus, they won't pay for it which equals artists getting less money despite the number of streams etc.

I wonder what the real reason was besides the obvious greed. I am pretty sure they had failed negotiotations with spotify before that and and left the room with something like "we are going to destroy you" or alike

the greed has to do with the mindset of our capitalistic society. because of 360 deals, labels get a cut of EVERYTHING an artist/band make whether it's touring or merch. or streaming. this is a way for that income to increase by advocating the mantra "everything has a price (including music)"

spotify's stand is that by making it free, sooner or later those people will turn into paying subscribers. currently, this isn't exactly working as most of it's earning are actually to pay for the rights for the music which is basically why tidal was put into effect. the gimmick was the fact that you'd have the ability to stream in FLAC. i'm not sure if there was a "we are going to destroy you" or alike conversation, but more of a "you won't survive if you're bleeding money" mindset.

I like the bandcamp approach - buy the music, and get streaming as well. Does anyone on here who sells music through bandcamp want to chime in with their experience? Good/bad/meh?