IGNORED

Stream Damogen-Furies in full

behindthebeats

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exjag Nives. I'm hearing an aphex beat sample in there.

i was about to say, where do i know that beat from? at around 3:00

I believe It's from a caustic window track

Digimon Furries might just be the worse thing he ever made, you can still enjoy some parts if you ignore the sellout melodies. The last track to me is the best track in the Ufabulum style he made so far but there are some really embarrassing tracks in this album.

Guest yikes

Digimon Furries might just be the worse thing he ever made, you can still enjoy some parts if you ignore the sellout melodies. The last track to me is the best track in the Ufabulum style he made so far but there are some really embarrassing tracks in this album.

i think you and me are the only ones who haven't drank the kool aid so far.

if this album had anyone else's name on it no one here would even pay it a second's attention.

If it said leafcutter,neal landsatram or whatever on the label it would be another Planet Mu non event that you ignored.

I will uphold my thesis : tom and photek were abducted,replicated and cloned with milquetoast impostors sent back down to earth to placate the masses with drivel.

There are no dynamics,no beauty,no subtly ,nothing clever,not one moment that makes inspires me to make music.

I bet RDJ hates this and ceephax must be scratching his head.

I will now listen to DUB one and burial to drown my sorrows.

the baltangs are great, exjag knives, kwang bass and d frozent aac too. there's a lot going on in some of these tracks, going to wait for a better quality version to dig into it more. it's quite intense and overwhelming at times, definitely think it will take a good few listens to get properly into it.

Bleep's got all the tracks up now, but when I go to download them it just freezes up :catnope::catnope::catnope:

eh? maybe samples, but it looks like they're still pre-orders.

muGMWjN.jpg

At the bottom there it has all 8 tracks for download now, yesterday it only had the 2 that'd been released. I could be wrong though. If I go to my order page for it, it also has a "Download now" button.

The feeling I get from this is that Tom is trying to make really great performance oriented music designed to be incorporated into his live setup and less so designed to be enjoyed in your living room. I can kind of understand that he might be trying to approach the problem of performing electronic music in such a way as well. If you compare it to many artists who just push some buttons and mix a track together he goes way beyond this, and is offering something almost completely different. The only thing that bugs me really is the mixing, that being said, I was streaming it when I listened to it.

For some reason this is a lot easier on the ears than Ufabulum, or maybe I'm just getting used to the sound now (or it's just the lo-fi stream?). But really, aren't those "sell out melodies" (like those 'eurotrance chords' on Stor Eiglas) just really typical Squarepusher-style melodies like he has always done them? Only packaged / sounding differently?

I recently heard Ufabulum again and I'm really starting to appreciate the good stuff in there and accepting the things that ruined it for me, I was a bit too harsh on it (as the album was on my ears :emotawesomepm9: ). This album is already better though, pleasantly suprised so far. There's a few really dark sounding things on here, works great imo. The Baltang tracks, Exjang and D Frozent are just top!

Also, I'll try and translate a new interview he did for a Dutch zine that was posted today:

Dutch E-Zine 3voor12 did an interview with Squarepusher and they talked about Aphex's soundcloud dump. According to the journo Tom was getting all giddy when he was asked about it, although he didn't speak about getting his own stuff out in a similar way.

Basically, Tom said that he has released only 30% of the stuff he made (finished?) but that the things released were all worth it (therefore doubting wether it would be worth releasing the other stuff. He also questions wether the hype around the Aphex soundcloud would had a similar impact if he'd just released them as an expensive boxset and ponders wether or not people would've taken it more seriously in that case.

Here's a link to the interview but it's in Dutch only. I'll translate it later on if anyone is interested :)

http://3voor12.vpro.nl/nieuws/2015/april/Squarepusher---Ik-wil-mezelf-volledig-wissen-.html

i think you and me are the only ones who haven't drank the kool aid so far.

+3.

I get what he's going for. But too future for me. I'm an old geezer & much prefer his early catalog on me gramophone.

the eurotrance line or whatever in story glass makes me think it's some kind of hilarious and awesome experiment tom is undertaking, subverting prejudices of good techno listeners while assimilating stunned shit techno listeners simultaneously.

he's always appropriated unlikely melodies. the first track on hard normal daddy sounds like a theme song from an 80s tv cop show, but jazzed out. the first song on hello everything has a hook that fits somewhere between sonic the hedgehog and a pharmacy waiting room, but with slap bass.

BALTANG ORT

really really good track, def up there in my fave squarePusher tracks now

i love this production style too cuz its clean n shit heh u feel me bruv

I like how the second half gets darker and harsher: reminds me a bit of "Selection Sixteen" type material. After only one listen, I think I might like this more than "Ufabulum", but I'll need to listen a few more times to be sure.

Archived