IGNORED

Mayweather vs Pacquiao

Nebraska

anyone interested in this? i didn't really care except now i keep hearing about this fight. i guess it's like the most important fight of this generation

mayweather is getting $120,000,000 and pacquiao is getting $80,000,000 but they've also negotiated for points earned from pay per view and ticket sales (which sold out in 6 seconds at $1500-$10,000 a pop) plus 4(?) belts that are on the line.

btw: they showed a promo about how these guys train: mayweather trains for about 15 hours a day with about 4 minutes inside this tank that basically freezes him so he can recover quickly. pacquiao goes the more traditional route (think rocky 4 style) running around with kids and training at a local gym with other "underdogs". mayweather on the other hand owns a gym company called "mayweather promotions" which is run by his close friends and family known as "the money team" because his nickname is money.

so, who's betting on who to win?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would have been a better fight five years ago, but these two guys are still the best pound-for-pound fighters right now.

I give it to Pac-Man by a (close) decision.

Mayweather is the definition of douche. Hoping Manny takes it for that reason alone...

...and this...

[youtubehd]fKuIHs1ELQU[/youtubehd]

All right: I'm putting $1000 on Pacquiao in this thread. We need Arfox Twonz to set the odds up hea in diz bitch, so we can make some cash moniez. RDJ can be the house, since he's the IDM 1% that actually has more than $5.

I only know Floyd because 50 Cent claims the dude is functionally illiterate and keeps his 100s of millions in a basic as fuck checking account. Most FWP 2015 if true.

Mayweather to win by KO.

I want Pacquiao to win though.

this is kinda what i was thinking. i'd love for pacquiao to defeat mayweather and basically upset everyone, but i fear mayweather's arrogance will make him endure everything so he can retire undefeated. it's interesting how many are split right down the middle

Mayweather should have this EZ. Are they even in the same weight category?

Marquez KOd Pac last time.

pac is 144lbs. mayweather is 151lbs. pac has won all the titles from 112lbs to 150lbs category (8 of them)

A shame this fight wasn't made earlier, but I'm glad it's finally going through. I'm a big fan of Pac (been watching him since Pac Marquez II) and while I really want to see him win and will be rooting for him, if I had to bet money I'd put it on Floyd. Floyd has a very negative style and will employ a lot of lateral movement throughout the fight. You're probably going to see Pac chasing Floyd around the ring all night throwing flurries while Floyd picks his spots when he gets reckless and provides openings for Floyd's sharp right hand counters and left hooks. Fortunately for Manny he has good foot speed and can probably cut the ring off better than most of Floyd's previous opponents could. But the problem is that Floyd is probably cognizant of that going in and being the safety-first fighter that he is will probably be moving even more in this fight than he has in the past. So much so that I think it's going to be a boring fight, with Floyd taking the unanimous decision.

However, if Manny can find a home for that left hand and come at Floyd from some awkward angles off of those flurries it could be an interesting night. He'll miss a lot and a lot of his punches will catch gloves or Floyd will roll the steam off of them, but the sheer volume of punches Manny can put together might be enough to win rounds and possibly overwhelm Floyd. It'll be a tall order though (literally) Floyd's bigger, he has that aura of invincibility, and he's fighting in his backyard where he has been the recipient of a couple of questionable scorecards completely in his favor, and where Manny has been the victim of a robbery (vs. Bradley) in the past.

So basically, no matter how much of a douche Floyd may be and no matter how much you may want to see him get humbled you'd be wise to put your money on Money Mayweather.

Floyd UD 116-112ish type score.

Mayweather should have this EZ. Are they even in the same weight category?

Marquez KOd Pac last time.

Pac bounced back from that Marquez fight and beat some solid dudes. that shouldn't stress anyone.

Sagan gives some solid analysis (although I think that everyone in the boxing world is cognizant of Manny getting screwed in Bradley 1, and at least one of those judges has been retired, that might actually play in his favour a bit, especially combined with Mayweather's arrogance - judges are only human, after all) - but I'd also point out that Manny can outwork Floyd, Floyd has never been hit as hard as often as he will be by Manny, and I believe Freddie Roach is a much better trainer than anyone in Mayweather's corner.

It's gonna be a close fight, and depending on how much staying power Pacquiao has it could be a real brawl. Both these guys are pushing it though - Floyd at 38 and Manny at 36 - they're probably not gonna be firing on all cylinders all fight.

Boxing: dumbest modern sport or only honest, unpretentious modern sport, still largely free of society's need to sublimate violent combat into ever-more elaborate all-audiences spectacles with intricate rulebooks purportedly designed to prevent inevitable brain injury? I dunno.

Mayweather is the definition of douche. Hoping Manny takes it for that reason alone...

...and this...

[youtubehd]fKuIHs1ELQU[/youtubehd]

Definitely... fucking dunno.

It's just high-brow cockfighting, no? I always found boxing overtly racist, as they just toss money at what happens to be a disproportionately high % of black men in the sport, to beat the shit out of each other.

Strangely enough, the viewer demographics lean towards white males with above average incomes. (http://legionsmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Boxing-Demographics.pdf)

Surely I'm not the only one that thinks this way?

Boxing has been around for a long ass time. Plenty of white folk go in for it, as do people of all races and nationalities. It's huge in Asia, Latin America, Europe and North America.

If anything, boxing is the ultimate egalitarian sport (barring judges fuckups). Yeah ticket prices probably skew paying audiences toward white men, especially in North America, but also demographics: minorities are minorities because they don't make up the number. If you go to the Philippines, the vast majority of fans are Filipino-you get what I'm saying?

If anything, some of the UFC precursors, especially in Japan, were way more exploitative. I remember watching the Sapp-Hoost fight and listening to the Japanese crowd roar as these two black men fought like beasts (Bob Sapp should never have been allowed near a ring, and Hoost had to match his terrible style and do a lot of clutching and holding). It was pure, naked colonialist thought and expression.

Racism exists, and there is racism in sport: but at the end of the day, sport is the ultimate equalizer. You put your body and abilities on the line against others. Ironically, our great Canadian sport is one where societal inequalities really stand out-one of the reasons there are so few black people playing hockey is cause it's goddamned expensive.

Watch the fight, root for pacman (cause mayweather is a douche who abuses women) and keep on being an outstanding human being.

Cheers :) sadly I'll be stuck at Hong kong international airport while the fight is airing so I think I'll miss it :(. Despite what I said, I enjoy boxing much more than ufc.

Also, seconded re: mayweather. He epitomizes douche, can't stand that guy.

I really don't see the appeal of two dudes beating the shit out of each other.

Seems pretty neolithic.

Archived