IGNORED

Tom's 'Virtual Comedian'

pizza

(Addressed to the editor of "Urb" magazine in the US. This article was never printed.)

I hope you don't mind being the subject of an experiment. Instead of answering this questionnaire in the conventional manner, Tom decided to let his computer have a go at answering it as a test for a new piece of software he is working on called "virtual comedian". It simply uses the material that is fed into it, and spews it back out as best it can in the form of a colourful assortment of questions, assertions, non-sequiturs and downright nonsense. Yet all of it has an uncanny ring of Tom's sense of humour and talent for an abstract jape.... Its good fun, I hope you guys agree.

- I heard that your live sets last fall were heavily based around you playing bass. Do you think that gives you an advantage in presentation, as opposed to say Aphex Twin who's been known to push play and lie on a couch during live sets?

main goal with faux-live music is recognition with people and with.your fans I was Especially surprised to see such a blatant portrait of Chris Cunningham on a couch Do you think that he has a slightly lesser known layer inside?

- Only one or two songs on the album has really obvious live bass part. Why the difference?

the album sounds more like some stadium concert. What's up with the project? Today, everythings gone to shit except for music.

- I couldn't believe it was so friggin hard to get tickets for your shows. Especially since you came through with almost no tour support. Do you think electronic music has progressed into a 'post-promotional' phase?

You've repeatedly said that your organ IS getting harder I couldn't believe it was so friggin hard. I'm speaking about a journalist who keeps the cover of the album (since your sets). is there a deeper connection? Or am I making an existing connection with your sounds that appear from before 2001?

- Mike Paradinas expressed some disappointment to me about the decline of electronic music culture and business. You two seem to have a lot of common fans and a similar career arc. Do you feel anything is missing from the way things used to be? Or am I making an inappropriate connection.

You seem to have almost no support with Only two fans Do you think the decline of electronic music culture and business gives you an advantage. Do you feel anything is missing from Aphex Twin who's been known to lie during live sets?

- Crowd noise samples appear occasionally through the album. I kinda doubt they were taken from your shows (since I don't suppose too many people whistle approval during your sets). It sounds more like it was taken from some stadium concert. Is there a specific effect or emotion you're trying to achieve with the faux-live sounds?

really obvious Crowd noise samples appear occasionally through The middle part of your shows Do you think that actually helps you sell records I kinda doubt there's a specific effect or emotion.

- The middle organ part of Circlewave made me think of 'Whiter Shade of Pale'. Is Procol Harem an influence? Are there other less-obvious influences that appear on the album that a novice might not expect or even notice?

Meeting People like Thom York and Andre 3000 is Easy. You've a lot in common in presentation, as say the rock solid-old ones. Did you ever gets more familiar when people ask you about the way things used to be? Does it occur to you who you are? Are you still a celebrity

- You've received some extensive praise from people like Thom York and Andre 3000. (And no- I knew that before reading the press release =P). Do you think that actually helps you sell records, or do you guess that the average Outkast fan wouldn't be bothered.

Do people force the average Outkast fan to fuck with people's heads? I heard that your live sets last fall were opposed to every layer of listeners. Is Procol Harem an influence of Radiohead. Do you no longer fear the Radiohead tour film as everything becomes 'post-obvious'

- The praise from Yorke makes me think of a scene in Meeting People is Easy (the Radiohead tour film) where Yorke is being tortured by a journalist who keeps asking him about celebrities who are fans of Radiohead. Do you feel that way when people ask you about Yorke? Is fame just a Russian doll where every layer of celebrity has a slightly lesser known layer inside?

I don't suppose too many people whistle approval during your shows. You've also asserted on several occasions Yorke has a similar career arc. Is Yorke just a Russian doll? I'm wondering how often you expressed some disappointment to me about Mike Paradinas.

- I was surprise to see such a blatant portrait of you on the cover of the album. Do you no longer fear recognition? Did you ever?

you're very nomadic because a scene where interview situations and fame instead of conversations And then of music, it Is a constant thing that influences. on the album one or two songs with live bass part which is about the housing market.Why

- You've repeatedly said that your main goal with music is to fuck with people's heads. IS that getting harder as everything becomes more familiar. Is it even possible anymore?

Circlewave made me think of security and stability. Is it even possible anymore? Is It you're trying to achieve a article without mention of both New Yorke or 9-11? 'Whiter Shade of Pale' heavily based around you playing bass.received some extensive praise from Luke Vibert do you guess that people wouldn't be bothered.

- I would propose that the best way to fuck with people is to find new people to fuck with. New listeners instead of the old ones. Does it occur to you who your fans are? Veterans or novices?

Veterans or novices? Is electronic music progressed into a innapropriate phase? Is it merely Squarepusher that a novice might not expect or even notice? The praise from the album makes me think of record label promotional talk

- You've also asserted on several occasions (I'm speaking about 2001 interviews from right before 9-11) that you're very nomadic. Today, everythings gone to shit except for the housing market which is rock solid- because if there is one thing people want these days, it's a sense of security and stability. Are you still a wanderer?

since you came through with tickets for Autechre Do you feel that if there is one thing people want these days, it's a sense of being tortured

- I'm wondering how often you talk about music outside of interview situations. Is it a constant thing for you? Do people force music conversations from you?

find new people to read a article without a mention of AFX.or without a mention of Squarepusher You can't read an AFX article You can't read You can't .

- What's up with the Chris Cunningham project? Is he working with you or with your existing work?

I would propose that the best way to fuck is to push play and fuck celebrities who are fans (And no- I knew that before reading the press release =P).

- You can't read a Squarepusher article without a mention of AFX. You can't read an AFX article without a mention of Squarepusher. You can't read a Luke Vibert article without mention of both. And then Autechre gets in the mix and... Is it merely a mutual record label, or is there a deeper connection?

Is there other less-wanderer way outside of working on tour by asking him about the difference? where they were taken from interviews. it was taken from the work? to get on in the mix that has a mutual ..( right?).

Are you from you? or for you?

?

Archived