IGNORED

Vocal effect on Minipops?

It's at 3:43, he manipulates his voice with an effect, possibly something from this list:

• allen organ spring reverb
      arp 2500
      bode vocoder
      chandler delay black
      chandler zoner limiter
      disklavier mkiv pro custom
      emt 140 plate/stereo/tube
      eventide dsp4000
      fulltone tape echo
      korg minipops7 midi, sepouts
      korg ps3300 x3
      lexicon 480l
      marion prosynth x2
      micmix dynaflanger
      midimoogs x2
      MTI Ensemble
      Neotek Elite 64 Channel Custom
      Pearl Syncussion, racked/midi/mod x4
      Plugins, various
      Quantec Room Simulator
      RME Fireface800
      RMI Harmonic Synth
      Roland MKS70
      Sci Prophet VS
      Sci Prophet5, racked/keyboard
      Studio Electronics Code8 Full
      Synton Syntovox 221 x2
      Tantek Flanger/Delay
      TC1210
      Valley People Gain Brains
      Valley People Kepex x10
      Wildlife

to me it sounds like some kind of spectral processor, im guessing somewhere in the 'various plugins' part of the kitlist.
The sound can probably be done with Melodyne (by smoothing out any pitch drift to the point where the vocal sounds artificial, kind of like an auto-tune but way more realistic and less bad sounding) or a similar effect can be done with a kyma system (which i believe richard was using to do the vocal effects on Come to Daddy)

I think thats the main part of what you're hearing with the addition of it being ran through some kind of phaser (the kind of cartoonish dizzy phasing you hear a lot on Hangable Autobulb that the drums get processed through). He also used this phaser sound a lot during the come to daddy era. Probably why i love minipops so much because its probably the closest thing he's done to a Come to Daddy/Windowlicker type of style since

the vocals starting around :30 are vocoded with the synton (or the bode vocoder). in the later vocals the OP asked about, he's messing with the formants, with a modern spectral-based pitch effect, almost certainly a plug-in as described above, unless he has a roland v-synth that's not on the list. none of the hardware on the list could get that exact effect.

unless he has a roland v-synth that's not on the list. none of the hardware on the list could get that exact effect.

true statement

(and i dont mean to be patronizing but its very rare even music making watmmers in here say accurate things such as this in EKT, welcome to the forum)

*puts back on watmm glasses*

lets talk about vocoders yo

No it isn't.

:emotawesomepm9:

now that im thinking about it some more, the easiest thing to do this type of sound on probably would be a V-synth and afaik no software sampler has even 50% of the smooth quality that the pitch/shifting time stretching algorithm on the V-synth has (yet). Melodyne can probably do it but it wouldn't be as easy, you'd have to go in and probably do a lot of by hand modification to each note.

unless he has a roland v-synth that's not on the list. none of the hardware on the list could get that exact effect.

true statement

(and i dont mean to be patronizing but its very rare even music making watmmers in here say accurate things such as this in EKT, welcome to the forum)

*puts back on watmm glasses*

lets talk about vocoders yo

thanx.

i actually quite like the syntons in these demos.

No it isn't.

:emotawesomepm9:

now that im thinking about it some more, the easiest thing to do this type of sound on probably would be a V-synth and afaik no software sampler has even 50% of the smooth quality that the pitch/shifting time stretching algorithm on the V-synth has (yet). Melodyne can probably do it but it wouldn't be as easy, you'd have to go in and probably do a lot of by hand modification to each note.

some pitch correction plugs can accept midi input, which would be an easier way to do the bends w pitch wheel data. not sure which exactly which plug it could be tho.

Archived