IGNORED

Potential vinyl release

granty

good tracks and good on you for testing this out. i'm sure a lot of people here want to do something like you imagined. but the math is so tough when you're dealing with such a small audience. i have no idea how to get music out there. seems like "play out" is still the best method but that's a bit weird when it comes to our genres.

heh, been wanting to start a thread that went something like "how can we make it so a bunch of us can quit our jobs to make music???" obv that's too much, but more seriously, "how can we make a little money to justify our obsessive hobbyin to our loved ones???" :)

Cheers mate. I think in all seriousness some sort of WATMM (probably with a different name) cooperative label would be good. We could release sampler LPs and between us all, sort the artwork, promotion, distribution, launch gigs etc. I reckon there'd be enough people in this forum to purchase the minimum of 100 if we were to do a vinyl release. I know we do it already but they're a bit jokey - which is fine but it'd be good to do something that gets attention outside of this forum too. I think making money would be a bit ambitious, but it'd be nice to get our names out there to 'proper' labels :)

I have the email and refund, cheers!

Making money is hard with a day job, let alone the dream one. That's what makes it a dream though...form a label with similar sounding musicians?

As others have said, this is always that bit easier when you have a bigger name helping you out.

I did well on my first self-release (paid for by my student overdraft) - managed three figure sales on very little promotion, plus a review in The Wire (it helped that in 2004 there seemed to be fewer people doing it). Completely failed to capitalise on it by doing nothing for about five years, and most of my self-released stuff since then has sold between, say, 10 and 30 copies.

I'd recommend sending out demos for a while, try and get a few releases on other labels. Once you've got a back catalogue people will recognise, doing a self-release will hopefully be much easier. I'm working my way up from tiny DIY labels to those with larger distribution and it's a slow but satisfying process - hopefully in a few years I'll be able to start self-releasing again.

Just listened to your stuff on Soundcloud - damn shame this didn't come together, gorgeous stuff. You've got a new follower, anyway!

Brilliant composition and production. There's definitely a label out there for you somewhere.

I'd recommend sending out demos for a while, try and get a few releases on other labels. Once you've got a back catalogue people will recognise, doing a self-release will hopefully be much easier. I'm working my way up from tiny DIY labels to those with larger distribution and it's a slow but satisfying process - hopefully in a few years I'll be able to start self-releasing again.

Thanks mate, really good advice, appreciate it. I have been sending some demos out but its a soul destroying process, makes you feel like an irritating cold caller. I did release my last ep through a netlabel but I'd like to work with someone local, with promoter contacts so I can do some live sets too. Glad you like it anyway mate, thanks for listening. I'll check your stuff out when I'm out of this mobile data void (Wales).

Archived