IGNORED

Unreleased AFX v. BoC

MassfreeKid

I found it interesting that Aphex would say one part of his creative output got turned off by BoC. Note how the drum beat and the overall atmosphere are vaguely similar to BoC in Ibiza Spliff. He answered this to a fan regarding this unreleased Soundcloud track. Nice to know he loves a lot of their music.

https://soundcloud.com/user18081971/34-ibiza-spliff

Posted 5 days ago5 days Superior C says at 1:55:

boc vibes

Posted 5 days ago5 days user18081971 says at 1:55:

@superior: again, hadnt heard of them when i made this, I think when I did it put me off doing these kinda tracks actually, not knocking BOC either, love a lot of their music

i wonder how many times the word 'lush' appears in the comments for user18081971's tracks..

It's currently heading the pack, but "DELICIOUS", "Richard I'm literally crying right now" and "tasty" are hot on its heels.

Lol "Richard I'm literally crying right now" all posted by Jessica Cortes.

omg don't even mention that fucking name....

lol

I found his answer a bit agressive

How is it agressive ?

maybe it sounds for me agressive or annoyed (reading in english translating in german )

BoC probably had that vibe down at that point and maybe he just wanted to pursue other styles.

I didn't see it as a diss or anything

They're just about the same age, 43-44 years old... but if I had to take a guess as to who got to the top of their game first, I'd say Aphex. It seems like BoC were late bloomers, whereas Aphex was like the living example of a precocious artist who did so much before reaching 25 years old (1996). I wonder when he was doing songs like Ibiza Spliff tho, if it was THAT long before BoC released their first album.

• 2 weeks later...

They're just about the same age, 43-44 years old... but if I had to take a guess as to who got to the top of their game first, I'd say Aphex. It seems like BoC were late bloomers, whereas Aphex was like the living example of a precocious artist who did so much before reaching 25 years old (1996). I wonder when he was doing songs like Ibiza Spliff tho, if it was THAT long before BoC released their first album.

Boc has old tunes from the 80´s

Guest jsc909

Interesting, I always felt that BOC had really taken the AFX template and developed their own take. Not saying their music isn't distinctive but I did (at the time) feel it started from a position of having at least *heard* AFX. Of course, as they both went on the sound of each diverged further from the other but is Rich saying that BOC caused him to raise his game / change things up?

Funnily enough, when I first heard BOC I felt it was a bit of an Aphex rip off. I don't think it was but it was a similar sound to some of his SAW 85-92 album. I love them both though.

I thought it was an Autechre side project when i first heard bits of MHRTC on John Peel

When I heard "Palace Posy" off TH "Pancake Lizard" was the first track I thought of. I always adored that track, and a lot of the SC tracks seem to be of a similar aesthetic and tone. Also, BoC has notably stuck to old samplers, lo-fi and unorthodox analog recording methods during their breakout while as a parallel RDJ was making some ambitious stuff in the technical sense. Drukqs an Geogaddi were released, what, within 5 months of each other, yet sound worlds apart in all the subtle details.

I say this all in hindsight. It's interesting evaluating these 90s era tracks. I was such a late fan of IDM compared to many here, basically hearing it late high school & college in 2004, so for me BoC and RDJ seemed kinda stark as comparisons, especially since I was familiar with his "drill n' bass" stuff first. So listening to all of these old tracks and understanding the context of how this music was made and what else was being released back then is fascinating.

• 2 weeks later...

That's odd. It doesn't sound at all like BOC to me, except for the slow tempo. The rhythm isn't breakbeat-ish enough and it sounds very relaxed rather than nostalgic or mysterious, which are BOC's trademarks. Boards of Canada certainly hasn't come to mind while listening to this. Actually, if I had to compare it to anyone, I would say it sounds like Digable Planets with a bit of King Tubby mixed in.

I mean, it does sound sort of like an ambient cover of "The May 4th Movement".

As for people saying the BOC took their sound from Aphex, that makes even less sense to me. BOC sounds like ambient breakbeat and '70s nostalgia music, while Aphex is just acid techno with a lot of ambience mixed in. Boards of Canada sounds much more similar to early Autechre, like Tri Repetae and Amber, maybe a bit of Chiastic Slide. I think ae probably influenced them more than anybody.

Thinking that Richard was just saying that he made that track and was thinking of exploring that tangent further until at some point he realized BoC had already been going down that road for a while. Neither copying one another, just a coincidence. Also, separately, AFX is surely influence on BoC (especially SAW I).

Archived