IGNORED

dx7

just been given a yamaha dx7

can anyone point me in the right direction to some software to use with it?

it has an interesting sound and i have to say i have had fun playing around with it. even hooked it up to my korg sq1.

thanks

You don't need software. It's easy to programme. If you don't like it, send it my way ;)

What Chesney means is for you to send it my way. <3

Guest Chesney

I do not you bloody scavenger.

I wanted a dx7 when I was about 7 because of Aha. I never got around to getting one or even getting into FM but last week I got a DX100 and it's lovely. So easy to program and actually a joy. I can only imagine the DX7 being marginally more complicated.

Send it me. Hard to find them cheap now and in good shape.

op... if you have an ipad there is a lemur editor for the dx7. if you buy the lemur app you can d/l the editor for the dx7 - and other synths - for free.

with midiquest can edit the sounds from a mac (and pc?) but that is a bit expensive.

on pc, there are actually quite a few free/cheap editors...don't remember the names as i don't have a pc but you can google it.

whoa that controller looks awesome! does it allow real time control though? On the two Yamaha FM synths I know the change of a parameter just become effective when you play the next note (and the parameter then get stuck at the value it had when the note was played).

I program my TX81Z with the "TX81Z Programmer" which I find perfect for doing the job. DX7 is a star synth, I'm sure there are some equivalents for it. Have fun, FM world is an adventurous one.

I wanted a dx7 when I was about 7 because of Aha. I never got around to getting one or even getting into FM but last week I got a DX100 and it's lovely. So easy to program and actually a joy. I can only imagine the DX7 being marginally more complicated.

you wanted a DX7 when you were 7

seven is the god number

thats some illuminati shit

chez I knew it

no one aquires that much gear without the help of the lizards

whoa that controller looks awesome! does it allow real time control though? On the two Yamaha FM synths I know the change of a parameter just become effective when you play the next note (and the parameter then get stuck at the value it had when the note was played).

No, because that's a limitation in the synth itself, unfortunately. 80's cpu performance didn't allow anything fancier I guess. Rolands D-series works the same way.

obviously you need to buy one of these to go along with it:

jellinghaus_dx-programmer_darker1.jpg

Oh god this makes me want a dx7 now

Owning a jx8p I have a rather elevated appreciation for programmers of unprogrammable synths

I was always afraid of dx7 because of the "it's impossibly hard to program" meme

Whether it's true or not

But nowadays I would love to own one

Even without a programmer perhaps

I just a built a programmer for my TX81z, and that really opens the synth up.

looks great. i use lemur for that synth also but having the real knobs seems nicer.

Guest skibby

I just a built a programmer for my TX81z, and that really opens the synth up.

that looks and sounds fantastic. much better than using the front panel or a CTRLR panel. on my wish list now.

Guest hawaii

there's one free called Dexed.

you can use it as plugin (emulation) but i think you can save patches and send them to DX7

from their site:

• Fully supports DX7 input and output Sysex messages; including controller change. This means that you can use this with a native DX7/TX7 as a patch editor and sysex manager

https://github.com/asb2m10/dexed

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/dexed-by-digital-suburban

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know about the DX100 but the DX7 is more of a hassle to program than the DX21 because there are no dedicated buttons for each step of the envelopes, and also the envelopes are way more complex, so although it isn't horrible, it is a bit more daunting than 4-op.

Also surprisingly there aren't that many editors, I've got a TX7 and barely use it because I don't really know what to edit it with...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KyoAcid

you wanted a DX7 when you were 7

seven is the god number

thats some illuminati shit

chez I knew it

no one aquires that much gear without the help of the lizards

Ain't no lizards bruv :p

Sent from a stolen mobile device

Guest KyoAcid

just been given a yamaha dx7

can anyone point me in the right direction to some software to use with it?

it has an interesting sound and i have to say i have had fun playing around with it. even hooked it up to my korg sq1.

thanks

Wow lucky stuff! Given a DX7, noice.

Had a TX816, since been sold but a great piece of kit.

There are free editors out there, I heard this one is pretty good http://dx7.roundsquare.net/about

cea7cc3e4beaee3cca835bc957c81604.jpg

Sent from a stolen mobile device

Archived