IGNORED

How/When/Where do you listen to music?

Root5

lol fenriz

fire is allowed. wind is allowed. using the sound of a bell is not allowed on the first album.

these are the metal rules

In every niche in my life it can be combined with! Studying, brushing teeth, toilet, you name it, I've done it. Even listen to music while I'm making music. Kind of odd though.

What about with noise music? How do people consume noise music.

I find with me, if it's very ambient, then I can let it play. If it's more "upbeat" or whatever the equivalent is for noise, I usually just want to listen to one track at a time. Listening to a whole album of noise creates listening fatigue. That's why that single noise track in the middle of Quaristice is so brilliant. It's just as much as I want.

there is a noise track on quaristice?

Fol3! Do other people not classify that as a noise track?

I find with me, if it's very ambient, then I can let it play. If it's more "upbeat" or whatever the equivalent is for noise, I usually just want to listen to one track at a time. Listening to a whole album of noise creates listening fatigue. That's why that single noise track in the middle of Quaristice is so brilliant. It's just as much as I want.

Noise and extreme metal actually makes for very consistent work music for me, just not at full blast...more like background music. That stuff live and loud in person is pretty fucking intense and I can see how it's tiring. Or on headphones instead of half-volume speakers.

I remember actually listening to black metal all day on headphones at work (Darkthrone's discogs specifically) and I actually got drained, almost sick feeling. Mentally fatigued and down. I had a webpage tab open with the lyrics too. It was too much dark, dreary and depressive shit I suppose.

Which is why this makes sense. (1:10)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzOYebQlALE

Got any recommendations for metal albums that you can blast in the background without getting draining, almost sick feeling?

Got any recommendations for metal albums that you can blast in the background without getting draining, almost sick feeling?

That 4-5+ Darkthrone session was kind of the exception for me. Honestly I think pondering the lyrics sent me over. (Which is hilarious because for such a sinister band musically Fenriz and Nocturno Culto are very normal, funny, and engaging people in interviews. Fenriz an absolute character as that and all of his numerous interviews indicate) Black metal, especially lo-fi and fast pace stuff I can blast all day. I can listen to sludge, doom and drone metal as background music pretty easily, though I'm sure that can get kind of tiring if the volume is up high. I dunno. For me extreme music of any kind is easy for me to listen to casually unless it's a live show. It's completely different when it's at a volume and through PAs and will leave my ears fuzzy and body shaken.

there is a noise track on quaristice?

Fol3! Do other people not classify that as a noise track?

Noise and extreme metal actually makes for very consistent work music for me, just not at full blast...more like background music. That stuff live and loud in person is pretty fucking intense and I can see how it's tiring. Or on headphones instead of half-volume speakers.

I remember actually listening to black metal all day on headphones at work (Darkthrone's discogs specifically) and I actually got drained, almost sick feeling. Mentally fatigued and down. I had a webpage tab open with the lyrics too. It was too much dark, dreary and depressive shit I suppose.

Which is why this makes sense. (1:10)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzOYebQlALE

BM is all about the draining sick feeling and i don't think Fol3 is a noise track at all, this is noise:

if you want a good metal album, i recommand for you, enslaved - below the lights ;) its a grower and it's just a beautifull album

Most music I listen to while walking places (I walk everywhere largely as an excuse to listen to music). But if there's an ambient album I want to listen to I'll wait until I have a chance to lie down with some headphones. Otherwise my footsteps can be too obtrusive and kill the vibe. I've also listened to a lot of albums while playing Dr. mario, Tetris and cards with my girlfriend. For that I often choose albums where songwriting is the focus as opposed to the production. I find I gain a better appreciation for a lot of songs when I am focused on the form of the melody, arrangement and rhythm rather than the prodction ideas/mix. For noise music (of the Merzbow variety) I prefer it to be loud and in headphones. I like it to overwhelm my experience... like I'm living through something intensely violent but surviving it unscarred. The idea of background noise music is sacrilege to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Usually in the car but it sounds so horrible in there...

At the gym too but usually it just gets too loud in there and gets mixed with anything else playing...

At work, while constantly interupted...

I just realized I never really fully enjoying listening to music... :mellow: and I rarely have time to listen where I live... I wish I could walk everywhere like Zephyr_Nova

I guess it's a good way to come up with composition ideas though? Have you ever heard a song through a wall and the filter it made caused you to hear something completely different and it became your next track?

• 5 years later...

Usually play shit on spotify unless if i can't find it there, aka bandcamp and youtube. I play it in my room in both relistens and when I'm reviewing an album first time. I really want to make an income for myself more so I can support the independent lads who deserve my money by buying more stuff on the artists's shops/bandcamp page.

also just saw the speakers or headphones question. I feel a lot of artists I listen to, such as Plaid, sound rather shit in speakers on my computer or when I play in the car. Headphones depends since I constantly have to buy new headphones since I break easily and they're cheap. Headphones I can easily hear more details with but I don't know a really good brand for any electronica. Anyone got suggestions?

10 hours ago, President Squidward said:

Usually play shit on spotify unless if i can't find it there, aka bandcamp and youtube. I play it in my room in both relistens and when I'm reviewing an album first time. I really want to make an income for myself more so I can support the independent lads who deserve my money by buying more stuff on the artists's shops/bandcamp page.

also just saw the speakers or headphones question. I feel a lot of artists I listen to, such as Plaid, sound rather shit in speakers on my computer or when I play in the car. Headphones depends since I constantly have to buy new headphones since I break easily and they're cheap. Headphones I can easily hear more details with but I don't know a really good brand for any electronica. Anyone got suggestions?

I recently got the Sennheiser True wireless earbuds  these have been beautiful so far. My friend has been using the Sony wh-1000xm3 as headphones. I have only got good feedback from home about those 

On 5/21/2015 at 10:55 PM, Zephyr_Nova said:

Most music I listen to while walking driving places (I walk drive everywhere largely partly as an excuse to listen to music). But if there's an ambient album I want to listen to I'll wait until I have a chance to lie down with some headphones. Otherwise my footsteps the road and engine noise can be too obtrusive and kill the vibe. I've also listened to a lot of albums while playing Dr. mario, Tetris and cards with my girlfriend. For that I often choose albums where songwriting is the focus as opposed to the production. I find I gain a better appreciation for a lot of songs when I am focused on the form of the melody, arrangement and rhythm rather than the prodction ideas/mix. For noise music (of the Merzbow variety) I prefer it to be loud and in headphones. I like it to overwhelm my experience... like I'm living through something intensely violent but surviving it unscarred. The idea of background noise music is sacrilege to me.  I haven't listened to noise music in a while, but if I did it would probably be on my studio speakers.  Weirdly, I almost never listen to anything other than things I'm recording through them.

While gardening in my garden, swimming at the lake or fishing by the sea shore.... Those are the hobbies with which I love to listen to my favorite chunes... 

Forgot to mention how... With my Sony Walkman and my orange headphones... 

while driving, ipod on the car system

at work, spotify. either on the office speakers, or headphones if I'm listening to anything remotely edgy

at home, I'll chuck a vinyl on while gaming (game dependent), doing house work, or if we got folks round

and that's pretty much how and where I consume music nowadays.

one of my favourite things ever was to go for long walks with headphones but since moving away/getting a new job a couple years ago, I very rarely get to do that now. maybe I should try and make more time for it.

Working at home, napping, doing chores, etc: studo monitors

Working at the office, commuting, traveling, walking, running: earbuds

The proper headphones are mostly just when I'm working with music or sound or it's very late at home

I don't have my own car so quite rarely listen to music in a car

Archived