IGNORED

Modern Day Equivalent of David Bowie...?

Lane Visitor

this is like asking who is the same as Picasso

no cunt, that's who, unique talents, and that's from someone with a Ma who already went ott-overkill on The Thin White Duke before I could even ride a bike

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He sometimes goes a little *too* pop (well I guess more Soul) for my tastes but having seen his live performances too I'm thinking maybe Jamie Lidell. He certainly has a lot going on his stuff and can straddle genres pretty easily. So yeah, that's my suggestion!

pretty bizarre question.

i know damon albarn is a pretty big bowie fan and you can hear him harnessing his styles sometimes from time to time. this track in particular gives me bowie vocal vibes..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0ylFmSMCJg

Damon is an influential chamelion for sure...

Looking back at my original question , yeah it is kinda bizarre to pose without context, but i think the hardcore bowie fanboy in me sometimes wonders who if anyone will eventually take his torch after he's gone, and whether in the future, my future kids or grandchildren will ever get to experience a musical role model whose both creative, sophisticated, highly artistic , re-inventive, and also larger than life and hugely influential like he is. And the only reason i have somewhat high doubts for the future in that regard is that the commercial music industry has continued to become more and more safe as the years go by. And while someone may retort with "who gives a fck abt the mainstream pop industry anyway... The real talent is always gonna be on the independent/underground scene", while i of course agree with the obvious aspect of great music, art and talent existing mostly below the radar, i think its more beneficial to art and culture when great music flourishes from both mainstream pop as well indie arenas... In other words, just because we may have given up top 40 charts' ability to interest us since the late 90s / early 2000s, it doesnt mean we should look at that machine as an enemy or that it will never again function as a quality channel of art/entertainment. There are always exceptions.. If NIN, Bjork, etc were able to get through, theres always hope. Of course im not biting my fingers, but its also not the biggest deal if we have to get our quality music from outside of the radio realm lol

aphex twin

^ :D ill take that, couldnt agree more..

Now if we could just get another rdj / bowie collab or another rdj / nin collab or another nin / bowie collab... Or...

ALL 3 at once!

Guest bitroast

Reznor producing bowie would be pretty up my alley actually lol.

Aphex can submit some unrelated unreleased track as a remix again ;);)

Bjork's the closest... but I'd dare say she goes well beyond Bowie in terms of just about everything. And I love Bowie.

Reznor and Bowie really should collab on an album. It would prob be the best thing Reznor could do at this point.

Todays nomination is Beck.

I was reading through the thread like "why the fuck is no one saying Beck?"

I'm seeing him Friday night too. Whoohoo!!!!!

Bjork's the closest... but I'd dare say she goes well beyond Bowie in terms of just about everything. And I love Bowie.

Reznor and Bowie really should collab on an album. It would prob be the best thing Reznor could do at this point.

Mmmm can you imagine?

Id like a diamond dogs meets black tie white noise done up in production style ala the fragile meets ghosts i-iv, please

Mmmm can you imagine?

Id like a diamond dogs meets black tie white noise done up in production style ala the fragile meets ghosts i-iv, please

Archived