IGNORED

Modern Day Equivalent of David Bowie...?

Lane Visitor

beck comes close yeah. he's less dramatic and brazen, more relaxed. midnight vultures is very princey with bits of bowie

Yeah, Beck is a good example. Not necessarily in style but in approach.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

people were cooler back then.. none of this self aware irony. they were real.

Fuck yeah

Bjork's the closest... but I'd dare say she goes well beyond Bowie in terms of just about everything. And I love Bowie.

Reznor and Bowie really should collab on an album. It would prob be the best thing Reznor could do at this point.

Mmmm can you imagine?

Id like a diamond dogs meets black tie white noise done up in production style ala the fragile meets ghosts i-iv, please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slKNd22GGaQ

Fuck yeah... A classic .

the dude from Of Montreal maybe?

Kevin Barnes is an unstoppable force, and has some wicked Bowie nod moments, but he seems like a different breed of musician to me. Less of a fame magnet icon, more of a brilliant, mad bedroom producer. Bowie's always been a bit more conventional when it comes to songwriting. Really the Bjork comparison doesn't make much sense either now that I think about it. All the above are very unique artists, and that's really the common bond.

Bjork's the closest... but I'd dare say she goes well beyond Bowie in terms of just about everything. And I love Bowie.

Todays nomination is Beck.

I was reading through the thread like "why the fuck is no one saying Beck?"

I'm seeing him Friday night too. Whoohoo!!!!!

Oh man, I was thinking these too. At least in terms of the musical experimentation and style boundary pushing.

Still Bowie is unmatched. Beck's really mellowed out overall. Bjork hasn't in terms of her musical efforts but she's notoriously weird, aloof, perhaps a little too lacking in self-deprecation and self-awareness. I can think of three comedic cameos Bowie has done immediately. Bjork...well besides a Space Ghost "interview" I can't think of any.

If Grace Jones had more commercial success after the 80s I would say her without second guessing. Grimes has the potential to be huge but I have no idea if she'll stay as avant-garde, I'm worried she won't.

I wouldn't scoff at anyone who suggested Kanye. But I dunno, he's more akin to Madonna (though I think he's a lot more creative and intelligent...I guess that isn't saying much). He's hard-working, that more than anything. He reflects the worse of social media and modern day celebrity, but not by his own doing. He has tried to be the biggest artist of our time, and it turns out in order to do that you have to appease the superficial, idiotic masses. At least in the 60s and 70s people had to be patient and reflective and actually sit and listen to records or watch videos on tvs, not phones through youtube. I don't think he caters to masses exactly, but he definitely factors mainstream culture in, which in turn turns off music fans like us. It's near impossible to consider his music objectively. At this point he's probably self-aware that he can't do anything without immediate, colossal discussion and criticism, so he just said "fuck it."

That all said, he's still a delusional boob.

the dude from Of Montreal maybe?

Kevin Barnes is an unstoppable force, and has some wicked Bowie nod moments, but he seems like a different breed of musician to me. Less of a fame magnet icon, more of a brilliant, mad bedroom producer. Bowie's always been a bit more conventional when it comes to songwriting. Really the Bjork comparison doesn't make much sense either now that I think about it. All the above are very unique artists, and that's really the common bond.

This is pretty Bowie-esque, right? NSFW

kevin-barnes-nude-thumb.jpg

Todays nomination is Beck.

I was reading through the thread like "why the fuck is no one saying Beck?"

I'm seeing him Friday night too. Whoohoo!!!!!

Still Bowie is unmatched. Beck's really mellowed out overall. Bjork hasn't in terms of her musical efforts but she's notoriously weird, aloof, perhaps a little too lacking in self-deprecation and self-awareness. I can think of three comedic cameos Bowie has done immediately. Bjork...well besides a Space Ghost "interview" I can't think of any.

Bjork's music does fall much further outside the pop realm than Bowie's, and personality-wise there's not really much comparison. She's as introverted as they come. When yo get right down to it, Bowie is as Bowie as Bjork is Bjork.

Very true... Bowie's always been an showman, an entertainer, and a very personable/charismatic one at that. What Ive always admired about him is his ability to bridge the realms of commercial pop with the avante gard. It's almost as his combination of those two worlds are so meticulously executed, that you cant really even identify one from the other. It's just Bowie. Even with his more "shallow" commercial dance hits of his like Let's Dance & China Girl, there's still a performance art/theater/romantic/poetic aspect of his writing & performance that's so potent that it completely outshines any shallow aspects of the poppyness. It's as if he's able to own any music he touches and direct every aspect and nuance of it until its so stylized that even his most ultra-commercial throwaway, forgettable eras (see Never Let Me Down / Tin Machine) are still superbly unique. For the record, I happen to shamelessly love Never Let Me Down (:

Are we talking voice wise? In the 90s we had Chris Connelly, a member of the Ministry/Revolting Cocks clan. These days, I'd say Farris Badwan from The Horrors does the best baritone voice I've heard.

[youtubehd]XlqZAMg5sYI[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]K1lD5cE6Bwc[/youtubehd]

Today's nomination goes to Julian Casablancas of The Strokes. The guy is prolific, makes intriguing/ beautiful music, keeps evolving (to an extent), and is in many ways, larger than life to me.

@Julian @TheStrokes wherever u are, u just received the Bowie Of Day award! Lol

came here to post björk and glad to seem i'm not the first. i agree with josh that she seems to lack bowie's humor but i don't think we should be looking for a total tit-for-tat here. i think overall she rivals bowie in the extent to which her "rock and roll star" persona is, or seems to be, a total vehicle for self transformation. everything from the lyrics, to the beats, the costumes, the live performances, the videos, etc etc are so many ways in which both performers have intricately contrived these complete roles. and in particular i think the process of dramatic, theatrical reinvention has been a prominent role in all this.

this latter point is why i would not really consider beck bc his overall trajectory has been much more conservative. while he certainly develops new ideas and personas throughout his career they lack the radical thrust of björk and bowie imo. beck never quite makes total breaks like they do, his is more of a steady aesthetic evolution afaik.

Shit from Mellow Gold to Odelay? Huge stylistic change. Stereopathetic Soul Manure? One foot in the grave? All big stistic departures.

Yeah big fan of mellow gold, not really any misses on there.

I gotta give it to Midnite Vultures though. Everything about that record is damn near perfect. But my favorite beck song is on mellow gold - blackhole.

Yeah big fan of mellow gold, not really any misses on there.

I gotta give it to Midnite Vultures though. Everything about that record is damn near perfect. But my favorite beck song is on mellow gold - blackhole.

Dude, yes! Blackhole is my fav on there too (aside from soul suckin jerk & pay no mind) :D good weird beck vibes!

anybody else really love banjo story?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=18&v=TO5-0lcobvU

nothing beats the o.g. beck albums. stereopathic soulmanure, golden feelings, one foot in the grave, mellow gold.

edit: ramshackle's another one of those nice acoustic songs like blackhole. i always saw them as siblings.

Ooh nice! ^ Some of my choice early Beck favs: Satan Gave Me A Taco , Crystal Clear (Beer), He's A Mighty Good Leader, Asshole, MTV Makes Me Wanna Smoke Crack.. Oh man, and on and on <3 <3

Archived