IGNORED

Dilla beatz

i think what's particularly inspiring about dilla is that he seemed to really feel that shit so deep down in his soul and was able to match that passion with a truly devoted practice. sure, his premature death lends a certain quasi-monastic arch to this, but i think his career was fundamentally about a true love and dedication to music. fuck the bullshit.

while this is impressive in itself i think the context of his career in the hip hop world is admirable in other ways as well, particularly bc so many talented people loose themselves in the lust for riches there.

no doubt in my mind that he is one of the greats.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Man, I never knew there was such debate over his estate and legacy... Kinda sad that his daughters and mom see practically none of the royalities these days. Makes me wanna donate a bit to his charity and the PayPal set up for his mom, who also has lupus and as in debt for Dilla's medicak bills and her own to this day.

Reading the "Legacy" section on the wikipedia causes some mixed emotions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J_Dilla#Legacy

• 2 months later...

controversial opinion but this is super overrated shit. I bought donuts and i couldn't fucking listen to it!! it's like music with sound but with a far less diverse palette and not as funny and also like 14 years after. why???

controversial opinion but this is super overrated shit. I bought donuts and i couldn't fucking listen to it!! it's like music with sound but with a far less diverse palette and not as funny and also like 14 years after. why???

i wouldn't say donuts is "shit" but I do agree it's overrated and is not his best work.

Mr Lopez why am I always in agreement with you?

because of your sycophantic tendencies?

topreview 10/10. would donut again

donuts is great, it's made up of lots of samples from some really great songs too, so it would be hard for it not to be great for that reason if nothing else. he had great taste dilla.

I think if you were to listen to folks like Questlove break it down, you would like it more. It's a farewell letter to his mom, brother, friends and fans. I used to think it was just arbitrarily-picked samples, but it's quite the opposite.

Of course music shouldn't require context to be good, but if you think an album is trying to achieve X when it's a actually trying to achieve Y ("SAW2 is the worst pop-punk album ever made") then you will inevitably be let down.

I think if you were to listen to folks like Questlove break it down, you would like it more. It's a farewell letter to his mom, brother, friends and fans. I used to think it was just arbitrarily-picked samples, but it's quite the opposite.

Of course music shouldn't require context to be good, but if you think an album is trying to achieve X when it's a actually trying to achieve Y ("SAW2 is the worst pop-punk album ever made") then you will inevitably be let down.

sentimental context does not a lush hip hop album make.

i like donuts but he has way better work throughout his career, i think people tend to mythologize donuts as this "farewell letter" he made entirely in a hospital bed while undergoing surgery and literally breathed his last breath when the export file finished rendering. i'll take "like water for chocolate," "ruff draft," "it's fantastic 2" over "donuts" any day.

No I agree it's not even close to my favorite Dilla stuff. And yeah the mythologizing is insane around that album (drove up the SP-303 ebay prices and everything). But learning where the album came from did sharpen my appreciation for it.

Messiaen wrote "quartet for the end of the world" while he was on death row in some fascist gulag...now, obviously the notes are the notes and that information doesn't change any of the notes, but for better or worse knowing that made me appreciate it more.

Those examples are in contrast to the at-least-partly-contrived narrative of (say) Disintegration Loops, where the context was supplied by the artist himself rather than Fate (or whathaveyou)

Archived