IGNORED

Why do most electronic producers have macbook pros?

Polytrix

I understand the appeal - stable OS, nice build quality etc - but SO expensive when you can get a windows laptop with superior specs - hd/processor/ram/bigger screen for a margin of the price...you could just put the cash into a desktop probably for the price of a new macbook pro!

This discussion has probably been done loads of times before...I just wonder why it's like this.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

spec are not everything. mbp just looks and feels right to me, hw and sw, and i'm willing to pay more for that. it's like asking why would anyone buy an aston martin or audi or mini cooper when they could buy a faster and bigger car with that money, or a hugo boss shirt. try them on, feel them, use them and you'll know where that extra money went.

Why do most electronic producers have macbook pros?

because you only need a one button mouse to press play.

you answered your own question, why would you even post a post like that?

stealth advertising in the social media space.

Any statistics to back up the claim in the title?

also this.

Haha, sorry, I really didn't think through the post/title etc..I suppose I was interested in the reaction and to see what discussion it creates.

I'm not actually saying one is better than the other and I'm sure loads of producers use windows stuff, I suppose I just rarely see producers using windows laptops and wondered why. But yeah...cheers for feedback :)

A E S T H E T I C O B V I O U S L Y

but srsly

good build quality, trustworthy and logic pro. also they just feel so much more comfy compared to any windows computer I've used. The OS feels great to me. My stomach churns when i have to use someone else's Windows OS.

I see. That kinda clears that up then :happy: I've never actually used a mac product so can't really judge I just remember when I looked at the price of the new models I was shocked at how pricey it was.

I see. That kinda clears that up then :happy: I've never actually used a mac product so can't really judge I just remember when I looked at the price of the new models I was shocked at how pricey it was.

once you use a macbook/imac theres no turning back

Also: Core Audio. That kind of MIDI/audio routing & port sharing can be done in Windows (or Linux if you have the patience for getting JACK working, which I don't) but as far as I know not without a lot of hassle and configuration. Also low latency audio right out of the box - that might have been fixed in newer versions of Windows but in XP it was fucking awful until you added an external audio interface.

This is getting more and more convincing.. :( I suppose I wondered also if the aesthetic appeal is matched equally with performance. What's more annoying than a nice shiny machine that doesn't get the job done right..

I'd say it's probably better than windows if you know what you're doing! I used to have a friend that swore by it as it was better for her neuroscience course which is kinda saying something!

I'd say it's probably better than windows if you know what you're doing! I used to have a friend that swore by it as it was better for her neuroscience course which is kinda saying something!

For me it works quite well, but i'm just live acting. So the linux is used to prepare the loops and shots for my sampler. That works quite well with renoise and u-he plugs. The rest is done with hardware anyway. For others this might not work due the lack of available software.

Mac/PC discussions have been pointless since the beginning

Indeed. We should not iterate on that.

I love Renoise on Linux but I really hate JACK. What other good audio software is on Linux? Only PD springs to mind, really. ChucK is cool but it's too fucking weird and coding your way to some tunes is cool but way less fun than patching.

The Renoise OSX keyboard shortcuts are kind of wack - or maybe it's just because my old MacBook doesn't have a numpad.

Totally agree on Mac/PC discussions tho. I'm pretty agnostic at this point about OSes and technology, just use whatever fits best to get the job done. For tunes, in my experience, that's generally OSX with the one-off cool Windows or Linux only tool - I run my Micro Modular editor in Wine nowadays tho so it matters even less.

Mac/PC discussions have been pointless since the beginning

mac_win_linux_perceptions-s.jpg

Yeah, fair enough, that's annoying but this isn't exactly the typical forum where you'd expect views like that being thrown around right? I wasn't really trying to start that debate, it was more just I was curious.

man, all you guys saying "it just feels right" blows my mind, every time I sit behind a mac laptop I have to squint, the damn mousepad doodad never works right or well, the keys are all smushed together, the OS is a nuisance, the screen just looks bad, and most of the time the ones my friends own have screens too small to open up all the in/out tabs in ableton so it becomes a hassle to route everything i'm setting up for them, and of course, none of my friends with macs have any idea what they're doing. BAH!

man, all you guys saying "it just feels right" blows my mind, every time I sit behind a mac laptop I have to squint, the damn mousepad doodad never works right or well, the keys are all smushed together, the OS is a nuisance, the screen just looks bad, and most of the time the ones my friends own have screens too small to open up all the in/out tabs in ableton so it becomes a hassle to route everything i'm setting up for them, and of course, none of my friends with macs have any idea what they're doing. BAH!

Alas, we didn't even make it one page.

Archived