IGNORED

Windows 10 (out now)

Rubin Farr

but we're aging idm fans who can't even handle squarepusher using visuals in his live shows, how are we gonna deal with a new OS?!

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fearing The Cracks In The Earth: My Biography by Rubin Farr

Seriously though, I have Windows 8.1 on a brand new laptop and have not seen this update you speak of? Where should I be looking?

I have W7 on my desktop and I wont be updating it.

I have W8 on my laptop and Im really considering signing up for it as I hate W8. Is windows 10 gonna be good?

I have W8 on my laptop and Im really considering signing up for it as I hate W8. Is windows 10 gonna be good?

Whack Classic Shell on it (Win8.1) and you've got yerself a bug-fixed, faster build of Win 7

Guest kymppinetti

that windows icon is back, and i thought i've uninstalled the update. should i be worried?

Guest kymppinetti

burn, bleach, call. got it. man i just love this forum. there is always a helping hand if one needs it. :)

this is quite the dillemna for me

i like windows 7 and i'm comfortable with it

fast sounds good though

NB Classic Shell is now compatible with Windows 10 so if you don't like the new look you can get the benefits but with the look of W7 with one easy (and unobtrusive) download !

this is quite the dillemna for me

i like windows 7 and i'm comfortable with it

fast sounds good though

NB Classic Shell is now compatible with Windows 10 so if you don't like the new look you can get the benefits but with the look of W7 with one easy (and unobtrusive) download !

sorry, but where do you find nb classic shell?

Aaaand the removed feature list for people who don't like clicking links:

Feature deprecation section

• If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed.
  • Watching DVDs requires separate playback software
  • Windows 7 desktop gadgets will be removed as part of installing Windows 10.
  • Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates.
  • Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Hearts Games that come pre-installed on Windows 7 will be removed as part of installing the Windows 10 upgrade. Microsoft has released our version of Solitaire and Minesweeper called the “Microsoft Solitaire Collection” and “Microsoft Minesweeper.”
  • If you have a USB floppy drive, you will need to download the latest driver from Windows Update or from the manufacturer’s website.
  • If you have Windows Live Essentials installed on your system, the OneDrive application is removed and replaced with the inbox version of OneDrive.

None of those removals are a bad thing at all. Media Center wasn't popular because it's gash. Media player is shit for DVD playback. Desktop gadgets are rubbish. I could go on.

Aaaand the removed feature list for people who don't like clicking links:

Feature deprecation section

• If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed.
  • Watching DVDs requires separate playback software
  • Windows 7 desktop gadgets will be removed as part of installing Windows 10.
  • Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates.
  • Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Hearts Games that come pre-installed on Windows 7 will be removed as part of installing the Windows 10 upgrade. Microsoft has released our version of Solitaire and Minesweeper called the “Microsoft Solitaire Collection” and “Microsoft Minesweeper.”
  • If you have a USB floppy drive, you will need to download the latest driver from Windows Update or from the manufacturer’s website.
  • If you have Windows Live Essentials installed on your system, the OneDrive application is removed and replaced with the inbox version of OneDrive.

None of those removals are a bad thing at all. Media Center wasn't popular because it's gash. Media player is shit for DVD playback. Desktop gadgets are rubbish. I could go on.

Ugh, they're still keeping the automatic updates like windows 8. You can defer for 1 day but then you have no choice.

Just let me defer my goddamn updates for as long as I like.

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone having problems with the Win10 upgrade notification patch coming back after you've uninstalled it. From an admin command prompt, add this registry key/value:

reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx" /v DisableGwx /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

GWX = Get Windows 10

Archived