IGNORED

Any good videos where you just watch artists produce? Thought it'd be a good way to learn. Please state genre and link!

o00o

I personally watch a lot of the vids put out by the Point Blank music school. I find the free stuff they put out to be so helpful, perhaps more so than taking lessons with them but I'm sure that's great too.

Watched a set of these, his tips on eq and effects were excellent....Ableton based.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

GEnre; Hip Hop

i feel these two are amusing to watch back to back because they are so different:

I have no idea what Scott Storch have produced, beside this beat, and I wonder does it really happen in the real time or how much of it is edited together fake playback producing video, anyway one cannot deny that the man's got the chops, maybe too much keyboard skills cos some runs are like superfluous fingers going thru motions ....

and here is Apollo Brown, who instead of high end MIDI hardware setup uses Cool Edit Pro and WinXP .. i've used Cool Edit Pro and it had a multitrack mode but it looks like Apollo puts the beat together in the wave editor mode ... can it really be?

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This one is interesting to me to see how he's using his controllers with Live...there's 3 short videos where he details what they're all doing and why he made those decisions and such. The music ain't bad, but is a bit too formulaic for my tastes (if I'm gonna listen to some techno it better be fucking dark and scary and loud and minimal and offer a little more originality), but this is perfectly acceptable for a club setting. 

GEnre; Hip Hop

i feel these two are amusing to watch back to back because they are so different:

I have no idea what Scott Storch have produced, beside this beat, and I wonder does it really happen in the real time or how much of it is edited together fake playback producing video, anyway one cannot deny that the man's got the chops, maybe too much keyboard skills cos some runs are like superfluous fingers going thru motions ....

and here is Apollo Brown, who instead of high end MIDI hardware setup uses Cool Edit Pro and WinXP .. i've used Cool Edit Pro and it had a multitrack mode but it looks like Apollo puts the beat together in the wave editor mode ... can it really be?

I kind of miss the days of using CEP

Had CEP running on an old tablet PC from 2002 that I'd scrounged somewhere, until the hard drive died.  Once I get around to fixing it, it will be back.

Anyhow, on topic:

• 6 months later...

One of the worst Against The Clock's I've seen, featuring Roni Size. Literally the most basic breakbeat (just triggering a loop, not even programming the beat!) and then his shit doesn't work for 5 minutes, then he works in the shittiest stock sample you've ever heard. And then makes noises that are horrid for one minute.

Then he brags about how he used to bang out a track in two or three hours.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I enjoyed watching this yesterday, some good points about not trusting USB and knowing your gear but in my opinion this guy has 4x too much stuff on his desk. I guess it makes sense if you want quick access to every piece of sound generation.

• 4 weeks later...