IGNORED

Any good videos where you just watch artists produce? Thought it'd be a good way to learn. Please state genre and link!

o00o

My method would be so fucking boring to watch. I do everything in the box right now. Mostly with Battery (using custom samples) and making patches in the FM8.

More Artists are needed here imho:

http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Music

Woah, I didn't even know there was stuff for non-gaming on Twitch.

Guest Chesney

Last night I got thinking about how I would go about an Against the clock scenario.

I can easily come up with stuff in 10 mins and do regularly because I only have short bursts of time to mess around at the moment. Whether I will like the thing I made is going to be rare. I'd probably be embarrassed on the result and my seemingly simple approach.

I'd like to try it for an experiment but filming it for people to see? No thanks. Much like these TV shows where you do an assault course like Wipeout or something like the Cube. I'd be so good at that haha but would be cringey as f**k.

Guest bitroast

Nah consider doing it !! :)

I do think theres a lack of cool youtube accounts/vids of people doing interesting stuff using synths n hardware, etc. The 10 minute premise essentially removes any expectation that the track needs to be amazing, becomes more about the process :)

Guest Chesney

I agree there is not much cool stuff happening on YT but all the real good shit is done in studios secretly and the people don't give a shit about showing off or leaking their work process. Either they have secret weapons, techniques or if they did it you'd realise that there is no secret weapons or techniques and everything is so much simpler than we (the fans) build it up to be.

I remember watching through some of those Beat This episodes a while back and some of the are just painfully bad.

Like if you want some reassurance that the music you're making is in any way good just watch this every now and then...

:facepalm:

Edited by misc

Yeah for real some of them are really bad. Some of them are so boring to watch as well (10 mins of people drawing midi notes for a bass line and some lame drums).

this one is pretty cool:

Yeah for real some of them are really bad. Some of them are so boring to watch as well (10 mins of people drawing midi notes for a bass line and some lame drums).

yeah its really all about how interesting the final result / artist sounds

Edited by o00o

yeah totally, this one's pretty hilarious though

I really like his soundtrack to mad max. Wish he would really compose something or instead of only talking but I guess doing soundtracks is too time consuming to put into a 20 minute video

One of the better OP-1 Demos I've seen

thats really cool. I wonder if he works only with existing loops or if he composed them at some point and how. I have often seen people using the op-1 with elektron gear in a live setup. that works really well

Edited by o00o

I really like his soundtrack to mad max. Wish he would really compose something or instead of only talking but I guess doing soundtracks is too time consuming to put into a 20 minute video

That videos is only part 1 of the series. I haven't had time to sit and watch them all but it looks like he plays more in later videos.

episode 3 = mad max string theme // just scroll forward to the end to get the next episode when it's a playlist based youtube vid.

Or watch this individual vid.

There's some interesting stuff in the Against The Clock series (10 minutes to make a track).

really cool I wonder how MoM did that awesome pad at 3:41 it just appears out of nowhere

In the intro it says, "samples may be prepared in advance".

That videos is only part 1 of the series. I haven't had time to sit and watch them all but it looks like he plays more in later videos.

episode 3 = mad max string theme // just scroll forward to the end to get the next episode when it's a playlist based youtube vid.

cool thx.

Edited by o00o