IGNORED

Any good videos where you just watch artists produce? Thought it'd be a good way to learn. Please state genre and link!

o00o

If this thread has taught me anything, it's that I need to get a stable setup and learn it inside out. I actually couldn't do one of these at all, I'd spend the whole time messing about working out where to start. It's been quite inspirational in that way.

Guest Chesney

That's more like it! I really like the past few vids work processes. I hope to get all my stuff midi'd up like that for easy sequencing all together when I'm in a new space. Quite inspiring way to work.

I have a really minimal setup and I'm beginning to think my gear lust (I want a microbrute) is actually based on something I don't need yet.

Learn Ableton inside out and get to know my 'go-to' plugins etc and know them inside out.

It's not a video but Ed DMX made a studio session podcast where he explains and demonstrate how he makes tracks in his studio (MPC1000 -i think- sequencing several synths and drum machines, all mixed analogue). It's well made and it doesn't matter that there's no video imo :

good if you're interested in no-computer setups.

Most of these are so dull and predictable....battlecat is number no by far followed by the awesome bizarre m.o.m....the majority of the 10 minute beat ones are dire....tonnes of gear...same old shitty drum machine beats....come on lets have some balls.....and the samples are even pre prepped....ha

keith jarrett makes a fucking beat in 10 minutes

Edited by bendish

It would be tedious beyond belief...like watching someone fill in a tax return....I saw an interview with Objekt where he says he doesn't agree with the whole spontaneity is better than painstaking effort and craft...I'm definitely in his camp on this one....

• 2 weeks later...

Been thinking of doing some demos of some gear i have cause all the youtube ones are mainly old geezers running guitars though these nice analog delays, they turn these great bits into dog shit somehow.. i struggle to make the things sound bad..

I know a guy who streams occasionally from Twitch but hardly anyone else does, mainly shitty djs and a few dudes making things in ableton here and there. Would love to see more of it

An Autechre one of these would be a fucking gold mine. There aren't a lot of things I wouldn't do to see them in action.

You know when i first saw that "the making of fleure" topic you made, i thought for a split second it was gonna be ae doing one of these videos and got really excited, but then i remembered they probably wouldn't ever do that and sure enough it wasn't that at all. Still an interesting topic though haha

I know a guy who streams occasionally from Twitch but hardly anyone else does, mainly shitty djs and a few dudes making things in ableton here and there.

The question is why! The tech for doing live streams is really easy to use. -> see https://obsproject.com/

I also would like to see more people streaming live acts and music good production and shit. The music corner is a very small one on twitch, which is a shame.

An Autechre one of these would be a fucking gold mine. There aren't a lot of things I wouldn't do to see them in action.

You know when i first saw that "the making of fleure" topic you made, i thought for a split second it was gonna be ae doing one of these videos and got really excited, but then i remembered they probably wouldn't ever do that and sure enough it wasn't that at all. Still an interesting topic though haha

Watching them coding max patches wouldnt be very accessible.

I know a guy who streams occasionally from Twitch but hardly anyone else does, mainly shitty djs and a few dudes making things in ableton here and there.

The question is why! The tech for doing live streams is really easy to use. -> see https://obsproject.com/

I also would like to see more people streaming live acts and music good production and shit. The music corner is a very small one on twitch, which is a shame.

Hey thanks man was looking into alternatives actually! this looks cool

It would be tedious beyond belief...like watching someone fill in a tax return....I saw an interview with Objekt where he says he doesn't agree with the whole spontaneity is better than painstaking effort and craft...I'm definitely in his camp on this one....

Depends on the type of music you're making. I personally don't see any reason to do music if you aren't having fun, and I don't see how you could possibly not be having fun if you're doing something completely new with audio signals and manipulating them in ways you haven't thought of before. Whenever I've tried making tunes that I wasn't genuinely enjoying, it's always come out sounding like shit (and I've spent months of hard work putting hours a day into a single tune, and it's one of the worst things I've ever produced).

That said, I don't think anyone would enjoy watching me make music. It seems like it would be pretty dull to watch regardless of how much I enjoy it myself.

Watching them coding max patches wouldnt be very accessible.

I was more thinking a video where they dissected a track and talked through what was actually going on. I think that would be fascinating.