IGNORED

Any good videos where you just watch artists produce? Thought it'd be a good way to learn. Please state genre and link!

o00o

Autechre jams for hours and cuts these jams down to tracks they said recently. I guess its pretty hard to show that in a video

It would be tedious beyond belief...like watching someone fill in a tax return....I saw an interview with Objekt where he says he doesn't agree with the whole spontaneity is better than painstaking effort and craft...I'm definitely in his camp on this one....

I think they both have their place and the best stuff strikes a balance. I also think that (leaving the savant outliers who can just do whatever and it comes out brilliant aside for now) real spontaneity can only come after a lot of painstaking effort and craft. The trouble with improvisation is that anyone can do it badly with no real effort, so there is a ton of terrible improvisation out there, but to really do it WELL is a life long project, to reach a level where all of the painstaking effort and craft is still going n, it's just happening in real time. I always liked Zappa's talk about how improvising an composing were the same process for him, it's just that when he was improvising he was composing in real time. There was an old jazz musician I knew in college who said something to the effect of "improvising is about bringing a lot of stuff to the table and then only using a little bit of it, only using what you needed and leaving the rest for another day," and I have always thought that was a really good way of looking at it.

Or, like, look at all these hand planes:

handtoolcabinet001.jpg

In any given job you'll probably need to use four or five different planes AT MOST, usually more like 2-3, but every single one of them in that collection has a specific purpose. Improvisation is about looking at the project and materials and knowing which three planes to use without having to figure it out by trial and error. Not that trial and error is any less valid or important, it's just a different aspect of the same process. You're going to go through a lot of trial an error before you can intuitively grab the right tools, and conversely if you follow your intuition and just try stuff to see if it works then you're likely to grow a lot faster on the trial and error side of things.

Pure theory develops out of practice, though, and it's just a tool to understand what already happened so you can build on it without having to reinvent it. It's an extremely useful tool but I don't think it's very often at all that really good work starts from theory.

The Nathan Fake one's great - love how shit his setup is.

I like this one of Bibio titting around in his garden too - this is how I'd do it if I had the cash/hardware/time:

Autechre jams for hours and cuts these jams down to tracks they said recently. I guess its pretty hard to show that in a video

Aye, and then go wild with automation on the cut down jams -

autechredpnwnwviii.l.jpg

(well, at least they did circa 2004)

autechredpnwnwviii.l.jpg

it looks like they have some sort of beat or noise structure at the bottom that is heavily manipulated with automated fx and a midi melody line at the top that gives the whole thing some sort of coherence. I have seen these screenshots before but they never made sense to me like this.

Edited by o00o

Yeah I remember seeing that back when it was first released and not having a clue what was going on there. Definitely makes much more sense nowadays :biggrin:

• 4 weeks later...

autechredpnwnwviii.l.jpg

it looks like they have some sort of beat or noise structure at the bottom that is heavily manipulated with automated fx and a midi melody line at the top that gives the whole thing some sort of coherence. I have seen these screenshots before but they never made sense to me like this.

anyone know which track this is? Isn't this off of Draft?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[youtubehd]JGUB4OeD32s[/youtubehd]

Tom Cosm has always been really open about his production. His music spans glitch, breaks, techno, trance, etc. He's done a few of these vids, perfect for spending an hour at a time literally just watching someone produce, which I believe was the premise of this thread (=
Be sure to check his tutorials too, plenty of tricks to be had

Edited by Breakmelouis

part 3 gets interesting when the song is more fleshed out:

Really would like to see this on some reaper / breakcore production.

Edited by o00o

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Here's exactly what not to do. Literally everything in this video should be avoided (I mean I guess getting really high is fine for writing music but not the best idea when you're on film for a challenge specifically under a time constraint).

Not sure if posted already and not in depth, but some of these from the 'rhythm roulette' series are fun;

for more check the mass appeal channel.

Large professor is brilliant (the lp), same with marco polo although he's second gen so doesn't really count

eric sermon....that keith murray album he did...enigma...a slept on classic

9th wonder actually looks like he's really having fun rather than that head nodding I'm cool and so into this fact episode shite

skywlkr....no comment

Edited by bendish

• 3 weeks later...