IGNORED

Yamaha Reface

Audioblysk

So yamaha is putting something out. It's either gonna be a fun new take on analog/digital or it's going to be a (sigh) answer to the roland system-1 with the controller/VST combo... My money is on a digital recreation of the CS-80. So basically something that everyone wants, in a format that nobody wants that lacks voltage. I do understand that analog synths are not cheap to produce, but that's the reason they sound so good, is because of all the work that went into making them and pushing technology to its limit in the physical realm.

Either way, discuss. Hopefully it's interesting. If I can hear quantizing in a filter sweep from it I will personally shoot the model I see at a music shop.

Guest KyoAcid

So yamaha is putting something out. It's either gonna be a fun new take on analog/digital or it's going to be a (sigh) answer to the roland system-1 with the controller/VST combo... My money is on a digital recreation of the CS-80. So basically something that everyone wants, in a format that nobody wants that lacks voltage. I do understand that analog synths are not cheap to produce, but that's the reason they sound so good, is because of all the work that went into making them and pushing technology to its limit in the physical realm.

Either way, discuss. Hopefully it's interesting. If I can hear quantizing in a filter sweep from it I will personally shoot the model I see at a music shop.

https://youtu.be/Rdj2EqO6WiE

Yeah mate, agree. Anyone can argue the difference in sound between the new digital Roland gear (for example) and the old analogue gear it's representing.

It can't be argued however, that digital signals are simulations of analogue signals.

At the end of the day, if ya there in person playing an old analogue synth against a digital just feels different. The waves hitting you are different. The signal path is less predictable than digital etc etc.

They cost more to build, and that's the reason Roland don't just fking replicate say a 303, a proper one, and basically re-release it. Would cost them more, so we have the "improved" version instead.

Guest skibby

since it is still a quantum product, in my universe the Yamaha Reface will be a digitally controlled analogue 12-op FM and Synthi-style pin-mod matrix with 2 freely routable multimode filters including tilt, all analogue vocoder slash formant flter, 12 outputs and mono, stereo, 2.1, quad, 5.1 and customisable and vector joystick pan-able (dividing a 4d sphere multichannel soundstage modes, with the ability to route the output of any operator anywhere before it gets to the mix buss, including a feedback knob for each operator, wet or dry of effects. a soft clipper on the output channel with aux fx sends and returns.

somebody want to make a mockup?

Edited by skibby

apparently it uses batteries i heard? (or is somehow portable)

but the patent is for synth / keyboard.. not sure if that means IOS-pad-copout

yamaha would be smart as fuck to put out a new version of something like the DX200 but with an FS1R engine inside, and also just make a groove box with a Dx7/tx7 engine for way cheaper like the price of all those dumb new korg boxes

yamaha would be smart as fuck to put out a new version of something like the DX200 but with an FS1R engine inside, and also just make a groove box with a Dx7/tx7 engine for way cheaper like the price of all those dumb new korg boxes

fucking god damn yes

a little pocket FM synth groovebox would be awesome

even if it only had limited pattern storage like on the volcas

I'm already kinda sick of analog revivals.. the volcas are nice and I'm still into the microbrute but since getting the monomachine I think I've been led back into the realm of digital awesomeness

Analog/digital would be my hope. Pure analog is awesome, but if they did the routing/mod possibilities of a CS-80 or the like with really high quality DCO's, VCF's and digital routing, I'd be happy. I love my Pro-2, it sounds thicker than most any synth I own and it has DCO's. I would just laugh if it's just some shitty controller or boring VA synth with wavetable tech.

Digital would be nice, but mentioning the CS-80 in the vid, I bet its going to be a VA or digital emulation of teh CS-series like the Roland Jupiter hunk of turd that roland put out a few years ago. I like digital synths, but I think most of the people buying synths now-a-days couldn't give a fuck less about some pain in the ass to program digital rack synth emulating something not many people outside of synth enthusiasts will care about... Groove box would be one thing, but you can see people playing on a keyboard in the advert so while with wishful thinking that'd be cool, I think Yamaha are trying to hit the higher range of price. There's a lot of toy instruments out there, it'd be awesome for them to unleash a beast. So far DSI, Modulus, Elektron, Moog (sub 37) and korg are carrying the torch after Roland caked its pants with those stupid digital controllers and fake 808. I hope yamaha hits their roots and makes something worth while, not another toy.

Guest skibby

its really nice how they went ahead and made a major product for us without even asking what we want. but they have always made good instruments, unlike most of the other companies with less than inspired products floating around.

FS1R is probably one of their worst products and it's still awesome in a way. so, hopefully they did not...

IMG_8575-thumb-572xauto-53685.jpg

Yeah, anything else would surprise me after that teaser.

Yamaha should check out how much FS1Rs are going for on eBay.

why?

so they can see how much the demand outstrips the supply. there is huge demand for a powerful fm hardware synth.

Dude, why the fuck in this thread is there a picture of a mattress that used to have a rotting corpse on it?!

'The fuck does that have to do with Yamaha and their future wannabe-analog hipster instagram-connected midi vacuum tube, dude, the fuck.