IGNORED

Do you ever listen through your samples and find something you dont know if you wrote or not?

lala

ive just found an acid track '0000134-1 audio' or something.

id dont know if its me or someone else. i DJ with ableton as well as make music with it, which is often recorded live and then forgotten about.

i dont know who it is lol

its average btw

I can tell if a track is mine, but sometimes I will have no memory of writing it. Typically, I am good at remembering when and where and what gear I used... I kind of get transported back to the moment of writing it... But every once in awhile I have no memories of any of the process, and that weird me out.

yup, I get that from time to time. Similarly, sometimes I'll get a tune in my head and it'll take all day for me to realise that it's actually one of my own.

I can tell if a track is mine, but sometimes I will have no memory of writing it. Typically, I am good at remembering when and where and what gear I used... I kind of get transported back to the moment of writing it... But every once in awhile I have no memories of any of the process, and that weird me out.

Yeah this too, it's happened with some recent tracks of mine, argh!

I almost never put stuff into any format other than the original file. So I can always tell it was me, because I don't have multi-tracked audio and matching midi data for anyone else. But once I opened up a song and had absolutely no memory of writing, recording or programming it. It was weird, because it's the only track where that happened to me. I can remember everything else. But if I'd heard it blindly before I opened up that file, I never would have thought it was mine. It was kind of cool actually. But if I didn't know for sure if it was mine, yeah that would really be annoying.

I just had a thought, if you put it through one of those music identifier programs, you might get a match if it's someone else's. Also the 'about' data for the file might have some relevant info to help tell if you recorded it yourself or if it belongs to someone else. I don't know how Ableton labels files.

yup, I get that from time to time. Similarly, sometimes I'll get a tune in my head and it'll take all day for me to realise that it's actually one of my own.

I'm so glad I never get my own tracks stuck in my head, that would drive me nuts. I've already heard them over and over so many times while I'm messing around with different reverbs.

I don't know how Ableton labels files.

Terribly if you forget to name the channel before you record :emotawesomepm9:

i found 2 tracks. one isnt mine and one is. they are basic acid techno, and i really like my one but its only a minute long... now im going to have to hunt for the rest (if there is any)

the other one could have been me but (i think it might be something like acid planet or acid rain or alien rain or one of those )

every single day, sometimes i worry about releasing anything from my 100 hour raw archive because a lot of the time i forgot how i made it and who i made it with, days/events blur together with a lot of spliffs and synth recordings, whoops. Its not so much that i'm worried i'd be releasing somebody elses track, but that the computer did it all for me and I didn't have any input whatsoever (and forgot)

ive got so many hours of music (if you could call it that, dating back to the beginning of time it seems), so much of it is rubbish. unlistenable glitch

it didnt come easy for me, music doesnt run in the family at all, no friends really into it till my 20s & i had to learn everything by myself. not a sob story, but the minute something sounds good, i dont give a monkeys if the computer made it, its being claimed :emotawesomepm9:

every single day, sometimes i worry about releasing anything from my 100 hour raw archive because a lot of the time i forgot how i made it and who i made it with, days/events blur together with a lot of spliffs and synth recordings, whoops. Its not so much that i'm worried i'd be releasing somebody elses track, but that the computer did it all for me and I didn't have any input whatsoever (and forgot)

yeah I get this too, I have a lot of recordings of jams that are high quality but a large percentage were recorded with other people, especially with my Italianz project, we do a lot of stimulant/alcohol based recordings and can't remember if we've released them or not.. on our first release one segment of a long jam appeared twice, unintentionally but it was on two sides of a cassette tape so I guess we could call it a reprise :D

i found an unlabeled cd-r recently with some interesting ambient/granular soundscape stuff. when i listened, i didn't remember ever hearing it before. but 4 or 5 track into the cd i recognized a track finally and realized it was all stuff i made, prob around 2000-1.

Often I need to forget a track on purpose so I can give a neutral quality judgement. Sometimes I really don't like what I did but when the archived track pops up again weeks or months later it suddenly makes sense again and I totally feel it

It's a great phenomenon in music making, where the longer one distances themselves from their tracks, the better they sound.

We are all secretly great musicians.

And no- I don't think I've ever forgotten tracks totally, but I do have the, "Hoooooooly shit, I remember that track..." every now and again. Like grandpa Biff Tannen remembering the manure.

I can usually tell by the filenames and/or the style of the music, but if I really dig into the archives, I'll find plenty of tracks I don't remember writing or even hearing before. I recently tried finding a particular old track, and couldn't, but found another nice one I'd totally forgotten about. Then I decided to upload it, and went looking for that one again, and couldn't find it. It happens.

i never actually quite know how i make music, technically speaking. when i want to recreate/reuse something that i like i go back to the original file and always wonder how d faq did i manage to do that. it's all very complex and logical but i can't remember how i got there. I mean, i remember doing it but just can't remeber how. it's as if i enter some 'other' state of mind when producing... and no, i never do drugs nor alcohol, never had any mental nor neurological problems.

watmm, am i living in the fight club?! do tell

i purposefully write code to make music so it feels like only half of me made it. B type personality maybe. helps me finish things.

aphex is A type. he wants total control of his editing and music.

and i do it on a computer that is so old web sites make fun of me. scooby dooby dooo where is your new safari? oooh, grass could be greener on the other side if you updated your junk, thanks flickr. thanks

Yep, with ones prior to 2007 or so. Some tracks it's like I've never heard it before, other tracks sound familiar but I don't remember making it at all.

never had any mental nor neurological problems.

Thats what all the basket cases say

:( watmm, yo mean!

only joking man! :) all good here

never had any mental nor neurological problems.

Thats what all the basket cases say

:( watmm, yo mean!

only joking man! :) all good here

:) watmm, yo good!

I can generally spot what I've made (I always know because most of it I've never been that happy with...) When I do spot a cool thing I did it's difficult to recreate the accident that created it.

I've gotten to the point where a friend will put on an old tune of mine and I'll think "hey, that sounds like something that I would write. Oh, I did write that."

Archived